Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2011, 13:04   #1
glockvilleAZ

New to reloading-help!

New reloader here just ordered the Lee challenger anniversary kit with 9mm dies, digital calipers, Modern Reloading 2nd edition, and 100 Winchester 124gr bullets. All from Midwayusa.com<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I already have a little bit over 100 once fired 9mm shells and I'm going to Cabelas to buy my primers and powder (didnít want to pay hazmat fee online)<o:p></o:p>
I was just wondering if you guys had any tips on how to get my brass clean inexpensively. I donít have tumbler or media to clean my brass and with all the other stuff I purchased already the Mrs. is starting to get on me about it (happy wife is a happy life) <o:p></o:p>
Any alternatives on getting my brass clean? Eventually I will get a tumbler but I need alternatives for now.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks for any info!<o:p></o:p>
glockvilleAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 13:10   #2
XDRoX

A damp towel will work fine.

When Jack wakes up from his 2nd nap he'll chime in. They didn't make tumblers when he first started reloading, so he'll have some other good techniques I'm sure.

Last edited by XDRoX; 02-09-2011 at 13:11..
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 13:16   #3
Colorado4Wheel

Just wipe them with a rag. They won't be shinny but my stuff is never shinney anyway. Don't worry about that. You can also wash them and rinse in water but it may take a while for them to dry.
Old 02-09-2011, 13:37   #4
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Little Stevie is correct, and depending on what you shoot you many times don't even need to do that.

If shooting revolvers unless you eject your cases onto dirt or some other debris laden surface you can pretty much just keep loading your brass, occasionally using a rag to wipe off soot if you're shooting low powered loads.

If you're shooting an auto and you retrieve your brass at the end of the session a simple tapping of the case on your bench top to dislodge any grass, dirt, pebbles, etc. and a quick wipe with a rag will remove anything that might cause scratches to the case during sizing or chamber scratches.

If you pick up cases that have been exposed to the elements for long periods of time and are caked with mud then a washing and drying is in order.

Many loaders prefer very shiny brass for ease of locating on the ground after ejected from the gun or purely for esthetic reasons but other than that factory shiny brass serves no real purpose.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 14:06   #5
fredj338

As Jack notes, a tumbler isn't needed, jsut easy. I reloaded for about 5yrs before I bought one. Roll them around in a damp towel & that is sufficient. If you want them shiney, water & lemon juice or vinegar works. Just make sure the cases are bone dry before loading. That can take days or you can overn dry them @ 200deg w/o hurting brass. PITA, hence the tumbler.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 14:15   #6
glockvilleAZ

Thanks you guys, I guess I thought it was a bigger deal than it is to have them all squeaky clean. I was worried that not thoroughly cleaning the inside of them would affect performance. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I just got my confirmation email and my order has been shipped! I canít wait to start reloading. I've been thinking about it for a while now and finally took the plunge. <o:p></o:p>
Old 02-09-2011, 14:27   #7
PCJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockvilleAZ View Post
Thanks you guys, I guess I thought it was a bigger deal than it is to have them all squeaky clean. I was worried that not thoroughly cleaning the inside of them would affect performance. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I just got my confirmation email and my order has been shipped! I canít wait to start reloading. I've been thinking about it for a while now and finally took the plunge. <o:p></o:p>
Even using a tumbler, the insides of a case will not be cleaned much if at all. It is the outside of the case that some of us desire to have very shiny, mainly to insure our dies remain clean and also for ease in examining the brass for defects.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 14:39   #8
sellersm
disciplinare

Nothing more to add here except welcome to reloading!

Take your time, be safe, have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
sellersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 14:39   #9
teweekley

When I started out reloading, I used Brasso and a rag to clean the outside and make it shiny. Used a nylon brush to scrub the inside if it was really bad. Now, I only use Brasso for rifle rounds to make them look nice. I could care less about pistol brass but I do attempt to get them clean in the tumbler and wipe the dust off before running them up in a carbide die.
Red Hat Certified Engineer

Last edited by teweekley; 02-09-2011 at 14:40..
teweekley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 14:46   #10
PCJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by teweekley View Post
When I started out reloading, I used Brasso and a rag to clean the outside and make it shiny. Used a nylon brush to scrub the inside if it was really bad. Now, I only use Brasso for rifle rounds to make them look nice.
Brasso should be avoided around ammo cases...
Old 02-09-2011, 14:50   #11
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I suppose you could get a paint can and fill it half way with corn cob media, put in your brass, seal the top, lay it on its side in the back of your truck and go 4-wheeling...

Welcome to the nut house.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 14:51   #12
DoctaGlockta

A higher caliber of woman seem to be attracted to shiny brass. Don't let any old timers tell you different.

It is the sole reason I tumble.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 14:57   #13
glockvilleAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
I suppose you could get a paint can and fill it half way with corn cob media, put in your brass, seal the top, lay it on its side in the back of your truck and go 4-wheeling...

Welcome to the nut house.
got it! now I have to tell my wife I NEED a truck for reloading!
Old 02-09-2011, 15:25   #14
mnhogrider

When I started reloading, I started with .44 magnum shooting out of a S & W 629 revolver so the brass never touched the ground. I reloaded those cases many times without cleaning. Never even wiped them off.

After about 6 or so months into it, I bought a cheap Frankford Arsenal tumbler and some crushed walnut media from Midway. It's still going strong today and doesn't owe me a nickel.

The tumbling just adds to the hobby of reloading and shiny brass looks cool. It's also a challenge to figure out was combination of stuff works best to shine em' up. I like Nu-Finish car polish and a bit of mineral spirits added to the walnut media and the a couple of used dryer sheets cut up into squares. Tumble 2-3 hours.
mnhogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 17:05   #15
WiskyT
Malcontent

I rarely tumble my brass. I go years without tumbling brass. I don't wipe it down either. You can't scratch carbide dies with dirty cases.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 17:29   #16
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I rarely tumble my brass. I go years without tumbling brass. I don't wipe it down either. You can't scratch carbide dies with dirty cases.
I must have reloaded 5000 before without cleaning them also before I got a tumbler.
Old 02-09-2011, 17:33   #17
PCJim

Quote:
You can't scratch carbide dies with dirty cases.
Very true. But you can scratch brass that is run thru a dirty carbide die.
Old 02-09-2011, 17:37   #18
dudel

Quote:
True, but you can scratch brass. I tumble because:

1) clean brass makes it easier to spot defects in the brass (especially rifle)
2) clean brass resizes easier
3) clean brass is easier on the extractor
4) clean brass does not dirty up the dies
5) clean brass attracts a better class of women

It matters little what they did 30 years ago. Today is today. Tumbling is cheap, set and forget, and does not harm. Read carefully, all those who didn't tumble at first do so now. Hmmm.

Last edited by dudel; 02-09-2011 at 17:41..
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 18:21   #19
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Just be sure to get her a nice gift for Valentines, then perform well afterward....

Then tell her you really need one of these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=587176

Reloading

DON'T tell her about how it will attract hot babes. When you brush off the hot babes for her....
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 18:51   #20
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
Very true. But you can scratch brass that is run thru a dirty carbide die.
Well I sure never have. I used to shoot in a rock quarry, brass on the ground, then run through the same die I still have now, never been cleaned in 25 years, and it never scratched the brass as far as I can tell.

BTW, according to Richard Lee, and my experience is similar, polished brass is harder to resize.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote