SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2011, 23:30   #1
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Who are these??

Cry babys, crying about OT topics. Don't read the damned things. Some people man I swear to....

But to keep it on topic like a Ninja, any advice on loading for a M1A Socom 16.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:57   #2
Bello
America/Italia

lol i figured that the same guy who about it in jacks post is the one that reported it! but idk and my m1a socom is on its way! so ill be asking the same question soon enough
Old 02-10-2011, 08:40   #3
Colorado4Wheel

Just posting to show support. If you don't want to read a thread don't read it. At the same time when need to respect peoples threads enough to not derail them with a bunch of OT stuff that doesn't help the OP. Thats obviously not what happened in that thread.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:00   #4
XDRoX

I think normally the mods are really cool when it comes to GTR. I think they understand that some of us only come to this forum and realize it is sort of like a small community. But rules are rules, and when someone makes a complaint then they have to do something about it.

The sad thing is there are people that feel the need to complain. Sad really. The way some of these guys act online, I wonder what their real lives are like.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05   #5
ron59
Bustin Caps

I'm just echoing the same sentiments expressed by others, so I'm also posting for support.

Rules are rules, but this *is* our own little community. If you don't like a thread, don't open it.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:19   #6
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
I'm just echoing the same sentiments expressed by others, so I'm also posting for support.

Rules are rules, but this *is* our own little community. If you don't like a thread, don't open it.

Hey, I got an idea.... How about we ask Eric for a subforum to the reloading forum, where "family" can post OT threads? I for one admit the opinions of the most of the guys in the reloading area are the most interest to myself.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 02-10-2011 at 14:40..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:48   #7
PCJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post

Hey, I got an idea.... How about we ask Eric for a subforum to the reloading forum, were "family" can post OT threads? I for one admit the opinions of the most of the guys in the reloading area are the most interest to myself.
Interesting idea, but bandwidth costs money....

I agree with the "rules are rules" concept as chaos would ensue if there weren't some rules to abide by, but there are always OT posts in every forum whether on this board or others.

Last edited by PCJim; 02-10-2011 at 10:49..
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23   #8
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

While all these posts are very gratifying and show support for what has developed into more than the average reloading forum... from what I've seen on other sites, much, much more, the simple fact remains that there are rules and we are bound by them... willingly I might add.

Eric has invested considerable time and expense in developing this sight, which most people utilize free of charge and in reality has come up with a list of rules and guidelines that actually are quite reasonable.

There is no question that I have been the biggest violator of posting off-topic threads and have unfairly injected things that are of no interest to those who visit this sight to purely learn about loading. Although it is my feeling that loading is more than just knowing what powder/bullet combination to use or what is a better color press to purchase but rather those factors in combination with the nuances of experiences of other loaders, the intangibles if you will is what helps someone become a more rounded and knowledgeable loader that opinion is mine alone and not shared by everyone.

To those who found the Top Shot thread offensive and off-topic I apologize, it was not my intent to waylay your learning experience, actually my intent was just the opposite.

As much as I will miss writing and reading other's accounts on things that are not directly reloading related I hope that those who frequent these pages with the express intent of learning the basics of loading are successful in their quest.

(And the rest of you watch your step... I'll be watching! )

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:35   #9
jmorris

Quote:
There is no question that I have been the biggest violator of posting off-topic threads and have unfairly injected things that are of no interest to those who visit this sight to purely learn about loading.
As large as GT is, the reloading forum is the only place I go 99% of the time. Generally not a lot here but Jack you do work your tongue like a $20 whore. Off topic? Sometimes. Entertaining? Always. If you only want to learn, go to school.

Looks like the complaints came from members that combined, have only been here under a year and a half.

Last edited by jmorris; 02-10-2011 at 11:41..
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40   #10
DoctaGlockta

I value the OT's once in a while. I have a lot of respect for most in the GTR community here. This place is special and the caliber of folk here can't be beat. I don't get my Scheisse in a knot over the odd NASCAR or UPS woman thread. Just need to crowbar a Reloading issue in with them.

BTW having a not so good time with my 9mm Lee Loader this morning. Seating bullets crooked and wrinkling my 115 grain Hornady FMJ's.

- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by DoctaGlockta; 02-10-2011 at 11:42..
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02   #11
PCJim

While some of OUR posts may wander OT (Jack, it is not just you), the board's owners must surely realize that the candor and entertainment value of these posts are what brings viewers here. That can be seen by the number of new posters. This in turn increases the exposure of the ads, which bring in the advertising funds to support the board.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 14:25   #12
fredj338

I always wonder the same thing. If you don't like the topic, move on or off.
AS to loading for the M1A, you want medium burn rate powders, bullets no heavier than 172gr. Hornady has a service rifle data. You can use regular data & reduce it 5% to get you in the sim pressure zone. If loading on a prgressive, you'll want to use a ball or spherical powder. There are several good choices; W748, BLC-2, AA2520 & a couple more. I keep thinking I "need" a SOCOM but tough to part w/ the $1600 they get for them. So I keep shooting my M1 in 308.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 14:58   #13
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I keep thinking I "need" a SOCOM but tough to part w/ the $1600 they get for them. So I keep shooting my M1 in 308.
Justin sure didn't seem to have a hard time parting with it last night at the gun store
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:02   #14
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Perhaps there should be an inquiry into setting up a private group, or subforum? dont know if eric supports such an idea, but it could be more akin to the "club" forums that glock talk has?

Last edited by ilgunguygt; 02-10-2011 at 15:02..
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:27   #15
RustyFN

Even though I don't think I have ever posted off topic I have to agree with youin's. In my opinion the OT isn't out of control and I have never seen where somebody's question wasn't answered many time with the best possible advice.
Old 02-10-2011, 15:28   #16
Palouse
Lifetime Membership
The Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
Perhaps there should be an inquiry into setting up a private group, or subforum? dont know if eric supports such an idea, but it could be more akin to the "club" forums that glock talk has?
I'm a newb reloader, sort of, and I love coming here and lurking. I've learned a lot. I like the atmosphere a lot, too, and I genuinely get a kick out of Jack's posts, among others. Best community on GT, IMO, and I would hazard to guess that I'm not the only one who comes here to kick up their heels and read. I would argue that the reason this place is such great place to come and get info is because of the atmosphere of off-topic posts. Take that away, and you get a pretty dry reloading forum. Helpful, no doubt, but dry.

I like the above suggestion for a social forum for reloading a lot, but there are a couple of caveats. One is, you have to be a paid member, and the second is, you won't get new folks coming around, generating traffic. I'd be happy to set one up, but unless all the regulars join, it won't be the same place as this one is.
Old 02-10-2011, 16:16   #17
Bello
America/Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I always wonder the same thing. If you don't like the topic, move on or off.
AS to loading for the M1A, you want medium burn rate powders, bullets no heavier than 172gr. Hornady has a service rifle data. You can use regular data & reduce it 5% to get you in the sim pressure zone. If loading on a prgressive, you'll want to use a ball or spherical powder. There are several good choices; W748, BLC-2, AA2520 & a couple more. I keep thinking I "need" a SOCOM but tough to part w/ the $1600 they get for them. So I keep shooting my M1 in 308.

isnt w748 the exact same thing as military powder fred? also i hear blc-2 is pretty damn awesome in .223 and .308 been doing my research for my new ar and m1 soon
Old 02-10-2011, 16:57   #18
WiskyT
Malcontent

Wow, I missed all this. I must have been too busy screaming at my three year old for leaving blobs of toothpaste in the sink again, or maybe I was berating my five year old for a spelling error. Rules are rules. Life is black and white, just like the outside of a radio car.

3.5 Bullseye with a 158 cast bullet for the traditional 38Spl service load.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 18:32   #19
n2extrm

I feel I must express my similar feelings of gratitude for the friendships here on GTR. I rarely if ever explore any other part of GT,or any other forum anymore since falling into this nut house. The folks here are friendly, not any of the internet tuff guy nonsense, and the topics are always fun. The occasional OT thread does not bother me, just as the thread that don't interest me don't bother me. Some I enjoy whether or not I load that caliper or if it is about a TV show or race. I enjoy them or I ignore them and read the next.

I also would agree with Fred on the Socom as for bullet choice, powder choice and the desire but price issue!
Old 02-10-2011, 18:44   #20
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Justin sure didn't seem to have a hard time parting with it last night at the gun store
Not at all. I have wanted that rifle for a loooong time. I can't wait to load that whole belt of .308.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote