Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2011, 19:32   #1
D.S.Brown

155 grain .40 S&W Questions

Why do I almost always see these rated at about 1180 - 1200 fps from the muzzle?

Would it be possible for these to be loaded at say 1000 - 1050 fps from the muzzle and have a relatively softer shooting bullet?

Would the expansion and penetration of hollowpoints in this weight be negatively impacted at this slower speed? Would reliability?

Thanks in advance for all the helpful responses.

Best,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
D.S.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 19:56   #2
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

if you want a slower bullet just get one thats a little heavier.

i dont know why you want the lighter bullets at slower speeds. is it for target shooting or what?

most defensive bullets are driven at a speed that will ensure they expand properly after going through certain mediums, fast enough to retain weight without jacket separation, fast enough that when they do expand they will still drive deep enough to meet percieved depth standards.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 20:50   #3
G19aps

Yes, if you reload you can drop the speed and reduce recoil.
Ammunition manufacturers have to consider making money. Since everything's a competition in America, if say Winchester dropped it's 155gr. Silvertip load to 1050fps, the buying public wouldn't purchase it b/c it would be wimpy compared to everyone else's 1200fps load.
If you want a lower recoil factory load, the Federal Hydrashok is available in 165gr/980fps. Next would be any of the standard velocity 180gr loads.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 21:57   #4
D.S.Brown

Thanks so far.

Part of my question probably belongs in the reloading forum. I figured 180's are working at a higher pressure, and thus less room for error in reloading. I thought that loading 155's at a lower speed, might also reduce that margin of error.

Again I appreciate the responses.

Best,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
D.S.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:48   #5
G19aps

Dave, where do you feel the error would come in reloading? If you have a good powder measure, it will exactly throw the proper charge that you have set.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:50   #6
Glolt20-91

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S.Brown View Post
Thanks so far.

Part of my question probably belongs in the reloading forum. I figured 180's are working at a higher pressure, and thus less room for error in reloading. I thought that loading 155's at a lower speed, might also reduce that margin of error.

Again I appreciate the responses.

Best,

Dave
Both factory bullet weights are probably loaded to the same, ballpark chamber pressures.

From a reloader's perspective, I like to load to a goal MV verified by a chronograph. Because summer temps can be extreme here in Arizona, I tend to extend COAL a bit (if possible) and keep powder weight ~.2 to .3 grains under max listed.

In .40, 155gr JHP/1200fps is very doable with less than max chamber pressure.

Bob

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote