Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2014, 18:32   #1
Detectorist

Do any of you practice sprinting?

The recent posts regarding foot chases made me think about this. I can't imagine having to run after someone without even warming up.

From personal experience, training on sprints really helps your speed and recovery capabilities.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Detectorist; 11-13-2014 at 20:42..
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 19:54   #2
texmex

I practice sprinting to Krispy Kreme. The old timers when I started would say, "If they are not worth shooting, they are not worth chasing." I am a lot faster now that I have my prosthetic hip. I think the last time I chased someone it was a drunk parole violator wearing flip flops. I caught him in about 30 feet. So many foot chases have gone totally wrong. Some years ago, a San Antonio officer was killed when the subject he was chasing managed to take his firearm. An Austin officer is currently under indictment after the guy he was chasing was shot and killed during a struggle. Recently an Austin officer chased down a robbery suspect. The officer was off duty and got 10 days off for his effort. He was also just named CLEAT central Texas Officer of the Year for the same incident.

I would still chase someone if circumstances dictated it, but it would have to be more something worth while. I did chase down and catch a possum a few years ago just to see if I could. Possums don't run all that fast.
texmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 20:44   #3
Detectorist

I have to be able to sprint fast enough to come to the aid of another CO. Our yards are huge. 3 softball fields. So I'm going to start running this week.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-13-2014, 21:05   #4
ranger1968

Foot chases , at least for me (and I am chasing someone once a week or so) are almost never an all out sprint beyond the first 25 feet; generally, if I can keep the suspect in sight,they will generally run out of gas after 125 yards or so, and then it's a burst of speed for me at the end and a hard shove;

For the longer runners, the ability to keep them in sight with an ok pace is essential.

Chasing people on foot is all about technique.
Old 11-13-2014, 21:38   #5
dano1427

Can't outrun Motorola....
dano1427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 22:20   #6
bikerdog

Not really. My technique is just to keep them in sight and wait for backup. They put up a lot less fight after they have worn themselves down by running.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
Old 11-14-2014, 00:26   #7
steveksux
Massive Member

The guy in 2nd place almost always beats the guy in 1st place in track meets.

If the guy can outrun you for 100 meters, make it a 200 meter race. He goes too fast trying to evade you, if you keep him in sight, he's burn himself out.

The one chase I've been in (reserve) I let the guy tire himself out. Whenever he slowed upand I started catching up I'd yell "Stop police!" and he'd pick up the pace. His legs locked up to the point he just tripped over his own feet and fell on his face in a heap. Started getting up, but by then I caught up, I was all over him, knocked him back down.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:08   #8
glocksalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
Foot chases , at least for me (and I am chasing someone once a week or so) are almost never an all out sprint beyond the first 25 feet; generally, if I can keep the suspect in sight,they will generally run out of gas after 125 yards or so, and then it's a burst of speed for me at the end and a hard shove;

For the longer runners, the ability to keep them in sight with an ok pace is essential.

Chasing people on foot is all about technique.
Keeping the suspect in sight is all it takes, like you said. Its very easy to keep up enough to keep them in sight, if its a distance that I cant close quickly, and then have enough energy left over for when they are gassed from the end of the adrenalin dump to tackle and handcuff.
glocksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:36   #9
thinkfast

I did the burst of speed followed by the Heisman worthy tackle once. A wise use of force instructor later asked me if I new for sure the bad guy didn't have a knife or snubby tucked in his waistband.

Really made me think about chasing/tackling. As previously mentioned, it's all about keeping the suspect in sight, staying in your thinking brain instead of your animal brain, and staying in touch with dispatch.

That being said, if more coppers stayed away from the 'free' Mickey Dees and did some sprint work 2-3x a week you could hardly say that would be a bad thing.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:40   #10
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Yes, every time I go to the gym.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227

Last edited by volsbear; 11-14-2014 at 10:40..
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:05   #11
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkfast View Post
I did the burst of speed followed by the Heisman worthy tackle once. A wise use of force instructor later asked me if I new for sure the bad guy didn't have a knife or snubby tucked in his waistband.

Really made me think about chasing/tackling. As previously mentioned, it's all about keeping the suspect in sight, staying in your thinking brain instead of your animal brain, and staying in touch with dispatch.

That being said, if more coppers stayed away from the 'free' Mickey Dees and did some sprint work 2-3x a week you could hardly say that would be a bad thing.
Tackling is bad news, my friend; that's how guys get injured ; take that burst of speed, followed by a VERY hard push between their shoulder blades and it will put them into a rolling tumble to the ground and you in control and still on your feet.

It's Friday night, and I will be chasing someone sometime in the next three nights; the guy I chase will be between 17 and 27, (I'm 46) and he will be wearing clothes well suits to fleeing (although chances are excellent he will have to use one hand to hold his pants up) ; he won't be carrying a lot of gear on his person (I will) , nor will he be shouting at anyone (I will be, for him to stop) nor will he be trying to talk into a radio;

The chances of me out sprinting him are low; but I know that chances are, he's a sprinter, and that's all he is; after short distance he will become winded, and he will look for a place to double back, or hide; I know that to catch him, I have to keep him in sight; If I lose sight of him, I know to stop, because he's going to be someplace right there.....

That first sprint, that was checkers, moving the board pieces quick for that quick win; once we round a corner and he's no longer in sight, it becomes chess; careful moves and calculating several moves ahead, with a strategy as opposed to a simple tactic.

Last edited by ranger1968; 11-14-2014 at 11:09..
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:37   #12
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
Yes, every time I go to the gym.
Same here. 1987 if memory serves.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 14:51   #13
OMEGA5

For about 38 years of my 41, I was a bi-athlete. I rode a
bicycle and ran long distance. Marathons a couple times
a year. Centuries a couple times a year. I would average
50 miles a week running and 150 to 200 miles riding.
I did not sprint and I didn't tackle either. Like one gentleman
stated, a good hit/push right between the shoulder blades
will send them into a tumble that scrambles the brain. Most of
my time was spent in a very rural county where running long
distance was the way it was you prevented them from getting
to their car. I'd let them run until they were so tired they'd
beg to get caught.
Dano
OMEGA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 18:06   #14
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
I have to be able to sprint fast enough to come to the aid of another CO. Our yards are huge. 3 softball fields. So I'm going to start running this week.
I always practiced fighting for three minutes because it won't last any longer than that except on tv. So the cardio should be good for three minutes but just male sure of your family history for heart attacks. Do you remember when the heavy set cop in DC was helping to catch the dog a few years ago and died from a heart attach? Watch the ticker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 00:05   #15
Boot Stomper

No, but I should. The sprint is more realistic in a fight or flight situation than a two mile run.
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:07   #16
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I stay with them long enough to shoot them in the back with a TASER or tomahawk them with an SL20.

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 23:26   #17
Mattz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I stay with them long enough to shoot them in the back with a TASER or tomahawk them with an SL20.

lol... taser is truth.
Mattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 23:45   #18
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I always practiced fighting for three minutes because it won't last any longer than that except on tv. So the cardio should be good for three minutes but just male sure of your family history for heart attacks. Do you remember when the heavy set cop in DC was helping to catch the dog a few years ago and died from a heart attach? Watch the ticker.
We had a CO a few years back die of a heart attack while running to help another officer.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:23   #19
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Personally, I think anyone in LE or firefighting should start to have cardiac check-ups at around thirty.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 19:25   #20
BuckRogers2000

Being 46, I wouldn't try to keep up with anyone but myself. I would recommend starting a 5k regimen - something that will keep you fit, allow you to pursue suspects and enhance your overall life. Remember, there will always be bad guys - you only have one life.

I'm not a cop but spent 27 years in the USAF. Fitness is still a priority for me.
BuckRogers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote