Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:41   #521
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

We are mandated to carry plain black leather or leather style.

Top, set up for a Sig 220RDAK, which is my main carry. Holster is 070 / SSIII which is a personal choice. Issue is a Top Gun / 200.

Bottom, set up for a Glock 19, which is generally my backup gun, but which I carry as a primary to court and to special details.

Of note (maybe, if anyone cares):

Both belts are set up with the same gear in the same places, same holster for the same draw so there is no confusion with the muscle memory.

I try to keep my gear as streamlined and minimal as possible, only the stuff I need out there so as to save on weight and size. Weight is the reason I deleted a cuff case from the Glock's belt, since that belt is used when I am on my feet a lot (special details). I also like the appearance of a well sorted out and minimal belt.

We may not carry Tasers.

I recently deleted my ASP since I rarely use it, and I always carry an aluminum Streamlight which serves as an impact weapon if need be.

I carry my keys in my pocket to save on belt space and prevent jingling.

I've only seen a few coppers that carry open top mag cases, and never anyone that carries it where I do, but I like it there (over left hip). Fastest reload there is, and I carry my off duty mag there, too, so again the muscle memory is the same.

The SHOT ShowCase
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
Old 02-20-2009, 13:37   #522
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
We are mandated to carry plain black leather or leather style.

Top, set up for a Sig 220RDAK, which is my main carry. Holster is 070 / SSIII which is a personal choice. Issue is a Top Gun / 200.

Bottom, set up for a Glock 19, which is generally my backup gun, but which I carry as a primary to court and to special details.

Of note (maybe, if anyone cares):

Both belts are set up with the same gear in the same places, same holster for the same draw so there is no confusion with the muscle memory.

I try to keep my gear as streamlined and minimal as possible, only the stuff I need out there so as to save on weight and size. Weight is the reason I deleted a cuff case from the Glock's belt, since that belt is used when I am on my feet a lot (special details). I also like the appearance of a well sorted out and minimal belt.

We may not carry Tasers.

I recently deleted my ASP since I rarely use it, and I always carry an aluminum Streamlight which serves as an impact weapon if need be.

I carry my keys in my pocket to save on belt space and prevent jingling.

I've only seen a few coppers that carry open top mag cases, and never anyone that carries it where I do, but I like it there (over left hip). Fastest reload there is, and I carry my off duty mag there, too, so again the muscle memory is the same.

The SHOT ShowCase
Good idea with the similar setups, but why the disparate weapons then? A Sig is still not going to feel the same as a Glock even if it is the DAK version. Why not go with the G17 for the work rig and G19 for your "court" or special appearances where you think you won't need it. The capacity of the Sig in any event does not exceed that of the G19.

I don't get it... it's kinda like having a HK USP DAO Compact rig with your G19 rig, but maybe that's just me.
Old 02-20-2009, 13:42   #523
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Good idea with the similar setups, but why the disparate weapons then? A Sig is still not going to feel the same as a Glock even if it is the DAK version. Why not go with the G17 for the work rig and G19 for your "court" or special appearances where you think you won't need it. The capacity of the Sig in any event does not exceed that of the G19.

I don't get it... it's kinda like having a HK USP DAO Compact rig with your G19 rig, but maybe that's just me.
Cause I like them both so much I just can't choose...

I used to carry the 17 for duty, went to the Sig because it just handles and shoots so well, and with the punch of the .45. They are similar, grip angle is about the only tactile difference. For normal duty work the Sig is in the duty holser, Glock is on the ankle.

As far as capacity, I also carry 6 more mags in a active shooter kit, but only for the Sig.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
Old 02-20-2009, 13:45   #524
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Yecht. Those olds Ducatis do nothing for me. That one looks to me like a pre-2008 Ninja 250...
My first love. What can I say?

Quote:
Cochese definitely is into the Ninja twins though.
Eff yeah! First bike was a 95 EX500.

Quote:
I actually dig the Ninja 250s, old ones aren't so good looking but man, what a bike for the money. The 2008+ ones like his look great, though.
Thank you sir.

Bought a new stand last week.

The SHOT ShowCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHT View Post
I think I'd lean more towards some Norwegian twins... Blonde and blue eyes
Old 02-20-2009, 14:21   #525
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
My first love. What can I say?

Eff yeah! First bike was a 95 EX500.

Thank you sir.

Bought a new stand last week.

The SHOT ShowCase

Why do you need a stand for that bike? You can hold it up with 2 fingers, eh?

Get a Pitbull stand if you're gonna get a stand!

Did you put pipes on that bad boy? I heard one the other day, not sure of the brand but man it sounded good. Almost as good as my Ducati... well... not really, but pretty good for a Japanese small twin.
Old 02-20-2009, 14:42   #526
VHT

The SHOT ShowCase
Old 02-20-2009, 18:28   #527
ghstface38
Five-O

Mine is still the same!
The SHOT ShowCase
Sam Spade: [5] If you're a cop, you really do act politely and have a plan to kill everyone. Gacy really did look like a clown. McVeigh was a pretty clean-cut kid. You're hunting bad people, and sooner or later you're going to find them. Sadly, they look nothing like the villians on TV, and there's no creepy music as a clue. Plan for it, and watch the hands.
Old 02-20-2009, 21:55   #528
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Wow, quite a bit more open top mag carriers than I expected. Maybe it's just a SoCal thing but all of our mag carriers are closed. Haven't seen any open ones for duty belts here.
Old 02-20-2009, 22:42   #529
spdski
CLM Number 294
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Wow, quite a bit more open top mag carriers than I expected. Maybe it's just a SoCal thing but all of our mag carriers are closed. Haven't seen any open ones for duty belts here.
Is it your policy?

When I was coming through the academy, I asked about carrying open top and was shot down.
Old 02-20-2009, 22:46   #530
pgg00

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdski View Post
Is it your policy?

When I was coming through the academy, I asked about carrying open top and was shot down.
thats the way it is here right now. I would like to see it change soon. Snaps are a pain.
Old 02-20-2009, 22:53   #531
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

To be honest, there is no policy on mag carriers currently but I don't think anyone here even carries it in any of the stores that I have seen. I know most departments do have policies on what type of mag carrier is allowed. In the academy, the gear was specific though and it did say snap type mag carrier.

There might be some departments that allow it but I haven't seen it.
Old 02-20-2009, 22:54   #532
spdski
CLM Number 294
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgg00 View Post
thats the way it is here right now. I would like to see it change soon. Snaps are a pain.
Velcro is a bit better. If you wear nylon you can carefully apply some heat and bend the lip of the flap up. Carefully is key, b/c I melted one set of pouches. Once the lip is bent you can catch it with the back/base of the thumb on the way up, allowing you to draw with one motion.
Old 02-20-2009, 23:27   #533
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Velcro is a bit better. If you wear nylon you can carefully apply some heat and bend the lip of the flap up. Carefully is key, b/c I melted one set of pouches. Once the lip is bent you can catch it with the back/base of the thumb on the way up, allowing you to draw with one motion.
Never did like Velcro, wears out a lot faster than snaps. I pretty much have snaps on everything I carry, except for the holster. The snap also is more positive on release since I have had a few times where I release the velcro and it falls back and engages again. Not a big problem, just a bit annoying.
Old 02-20-2009, 23:30   #534
pgg00

Quote:
Never did like Velcro, wears out a lot faster than snaps. I pretty much have snaps on everything I carry, except for the holster. The snap also is more positive on release since I have had a few times where I release the velcro and it falls back and engages again. Not a big problem, just a bit annoying.
I had velcro once also, the crap wore out in less then a year
Old 02-20-2009, 23:31   #535
spdski
CLM Number 294
NRA Life Member

I guess I wasn't fiddling with my mags enough.
Old 02-20-2009, 23:52   #536
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
I guess I wasn't fiddling with my mags enough.
Hey eh... Lenny, keep your home business to yourself...

I found a high rate of failure with the flashlight holders and other more mundane items which were velcro'ed. I'd rather just have them all snaps instead so I have them all in common.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:29   #537
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Why do you need a stand for that bike? You can hold it up with 2 fingers, eh?

Get a Pitbull stand if you're gonna get a stand!

Did you put pipes on that bad boy? I heard one the other day, not sure of the brand but man it sounded good. Almost as good as my Ducati... well... not really, but pretty good for a Japanese small twin.

Pitbull... $179

This stand... $110 with spools.

I have an Area P header, HR1 can, K&N, Fender Eliminator Kit, HIDs and some other doodads waiting to go on. Its 29 degrees here and I had 33 accident calls at work in two hours last night.

It can wait.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:34   #538
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post

Pitbull... $179

This stand... $110 with spools.

I have an Area P header, HR1 can, K&N, Fender Eliminator Kit, HIDs and some other doodads waiting to go on. Its 29 degrees here and I had 33 accident calls at work in two hours last night.

It can wait.
I think it was Area P... don't they also make cans? Man it sounded nice.

As for 29F last night there? Pshhhh... that's nothing, try 45F here! I think there was also at least 1 accident... okay fine... I spent part of the night rearranging my tie collection.

Did you get a front stand yet?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:45   #539
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
I think it was Area P... don't they also make cans? Man it sounded nice.

As for 29F last night there? Pshhhh... that's nothing, try 45F here! I think there was also at least 1 accident... okay fine... I spent part of the night rearranging my tie collection.

Did you get a front stand yet?
They do make cans, but I opted for a lower mounted one in black. The HR1 is also much louder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiOqlfgZqAc

The SHOT ShowCase

No front stand yet. It's on the list, along with one of these...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jc...7053G_CL_1.jpg
Old 02-21-2009, 11:50   #540
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Oh man, I am so getting me one of those 360 rotators for my garage. With as many bikes as I got in there, I need one to help me move all of them around. I was really toying with the idea of having a big lazy susan cut into the middle of it so I can just rotate them around and deploy them 1 at a time instead of having them all parked in a linear fashion which is a pain to deploy.

What are you doing up? Shouldn't you be resting from last night?