Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2015, 19:09   #1
moeman

Going out dress code> Tie, Tux, tee-shirt etc YOU?!

OK this is an offshoot from the best restaurant thread... high jacked it enough. The lovely Gamer Girl was part of the discussion--- so at least one person has class.

anyway, you are going out to a nice dinner... what to you and your gal feel comforatble in?

BACKGROUND:

I've walked in a restaurant on a business meal, slacks & jacket and they asked me to wear a "loaner tie". F that! Excused myself from the group and caught them after.

Now a place that cuts off ties, I'll wear one just to get it off.

THINK. Who wears ties other than a funeral: Politicians, lawyers, tele-evangilaists, wall-streeters and to slick salesmen. EVERY one of them wants my money. So no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl View Post
Ive never encountered a restaurant in hawaii that made you wear a tie. Most are incredibly casual because Hawaii. Even the restaurant at the four seasons let us in wearing flops and Jeans.
DRESS CODE:
I dont mean to imply the restaurant was in Hawaii-- and the chilled out 'tude there is why we go 1-2 times a year. LOVE it!

...and what is it on the friggin east coast? dudes with bow ties that are under 97 years old. nerd-wussie-dorks. Dont get me started about the guys that strategically drape a sweater acroos their shoulder on a day to hot to ever think about putting it on. We need them out of the gene pool. My wife uses my biases all the time when dinning with friends and will point out a guy or gal and tell everyone something like "oh, would you like to hear Moe's analysis of that person?" Softball pitch for me...

As for a lady, the simple black dress works everywhere, right? Do you look at the fru-fru ladies and have the WTH? attitude I do? or do you roll like Zha-Zha with a stole?

Inquiring minds wanna know...

Last edited by moeman; 02-24-2015 at 19:11..
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 19:30   #2
RagnarDanneskjold
Senior Pirate

Slacks and a button down shirt. Jacket if cold. I own a few ties, wear them when someone is being married or buried. And on job interviews.
Old 02-24-2015, 19:34   #3
moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Slacks and a button down shirt. Jacket if cold. I own a few ties, wear them when someone is being married or buried. And on job interviews.
Ah, a brother from another mother and the jacket is when hot is dumbfruk right?

Seen them in Scottsdale at 114F...
Old 02-24-2015, 19:45   #4
RagnarDanneskjold
Senior Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
Ah, a brother from another mother and the jacket is when hot is dumbfruk right?

Seen them in Scottsdale at 114F...
I usually have one in the car. My dad (and his) always said: "take a jacket! If you don't need it you can always sit on it!" and I have often found this to be good advice. Carrying it around is stupid, though, if it's that hot. I suppose you could use it to shade your head.
Old 02-24-2015, 19:48   #5
Bruce M

Here the dress code is quite casual and I have never been a problem with decent jeans and a polo or regular shirt at the places I go. Even on a weekend night at some places at where there are guys wearing a jacket and tie there are others wearing shorts and a polo shirt.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 19:54   #6
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

I have found that dress codes make for interesting people at either end of the scale. I like that, be it as casual as can be or as formal as can be.

I have always felt sorry for those who could not/would not be elegant or ultra casual. They are both missing out on wonderful things.

Fashion is important because it is you waving your primary flag for all to see. You can change it at whim.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 19:55   #7
GamerGirl
100% Relevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I have found that dress codes make for interesting people at either end of the scale. I like that, be it as casual as can be or as formal as can be.

I have always felt sorry for those who could not/would not be elegant or ultra casual. They are both missing out on wonderful things.

Fashion is important because it is you waving your primary flag for all to see. You can change it at whim.
When we went to nyc recently with my parents we weren't able to go to some restaurants because my dad was very anti wearing a sport coat.

When I do it I'm "wasted" and "have to leave Home Depot immediately"
GamerGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 19:57   #8
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

...and to answer your question, I enjoy being the best dressed guy at an event/place but I dont always do it. If I find myself dressed as well as I can and just fitting in, I am probably at an interesting place.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

Old 02-24-2015, 20:00   #9
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl View Post
When we went to nyc recently with my parents we weren't able to go to some restaurants because my dad was very anti wearing a sport coat.
I know people do that but I sure dont understand it.

To me it is like getting a ride on the Space Shuttle or getting a medal from the President. There is a dress code to participate. I am not going to miss out on something wonderful because of a dress code. Be it a great meal or a ride with the Blue Angels.

Old 02-24-2015, 20:04   #10
TK-421

I don't like dressing up, I hate it in fact, I don't feel comfortable or happy if I'm in something other than jeans/shorts and a t-shirt. The only time I dress up is for work, which is slacks and a polo, and I do that because I'm representing the company and I think it looks a lot nicer when everyone is wearing the same thing, so I go along with it. But if I'm representing myself, then it's jeans and a t-shirt. If I walk into a restaurant, and they want me to get all fancy, I'll just find somewhere else to eat.
- Unknown
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 20:14   #11
Altaris

For me, a Suit is for an Interview, Wedding, or Funeral.

If I have to put on a suit just to go eat, I'm not going there.
I am a shorts/jeans and tshirt kind of guy and that is one of the things I like with the Austin area. I can get in to pretty much everywhere with that outfit.
It's nice seeing everyone just casual and comfortable, and you have no clue if the shorts and tshirt person near you is jobless or a multi-millionaire. You get to see how the person really is, and not see them forced into a conformed uniform.
Altaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 20:19   #12
moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
For me, a Suit is for an Interview, Wedding, or Funeral.

If I have to put on a suit just to go eat, I'm not going there.
I am a shorts/jeans and tshirt kind of guy and that is one of the things I like with the Austin area. I can get in to pretty much everywhere with that outfit.
It's nice seeing everyone just casual and comfortable, and you have no clue if the shorts and tshirt person near you is jobless or a multi-millionaire. You get to see how the person really is, and not see them forced into a conformed uniform.
Give you an Amen! the richest guy i know, (computers, self made) has an a Grateful Dead tee shirt on most of the time. e.g. in Vegas, they know him and treat him like gold--they know the rollers come in all dress and hairstyles (his is a long grey pony). its the posers who dont get this.
Old 02-24-2015, 20:21   #13
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

I dont understand the aversion to a suit. It can be based on difficulty.

do you wear shoes? Do you wear socks? do you wear pants with a belt? Do you wear a shirt? Do you ever wear a jacket?

That just leaves the tie.

That is the secret of getting "dressed up" for a guy. It really doesnt require much more effort and the pay off is fairly high if you know how to spend the currency of dressing well.

Old 02-24-2015, 20:22   #14
mtpisgah

I don't like wearing ties but I don't really have a big issue with it either. When we go out it is typically nice jeans and a dress shirt. Sometimes a sports coat to dress it up. Then there are times when I have worn a suit just for the heck of it. But still no tie. At the same restaurant I have worn shorts and a polo while munching on beef tongue and sipping a very nice WA syrah.

I like to look nice. It always amazes me that guys will go out looking like slobs while their women are dressed up. Or guys who wear hats inside a building, or worse, at the table.

Of course women who go out wearing baggy sweatpants and shower shoes are always a turn off.

My wife loves getting dolled up to go out and since she makes me look good, I figure it is the least I can do to try to keep up.
Old 02-24-2015, 20:25   #15
byf43
NRA Life Member

Proper attire is important. (And this is coming from a guy that wears jeans and either a polo shirt or a camp shirt to work, EVERY day.)

When my oldest daughter got married, I REALLY wanted to go over to my wife's niece's boyfriend and invite him to leave.

That scuzz-bucket showed up in jeans, flip-flops, a dirty t-shirt and a paisley do-rag wrapped around his dirty head.
What a POS!!!!!

Everyone in the church gawked and snickered. Everyone.

When my wife's niece married this POS, I came VERY close to going in jeans, and a t-shirt that looked like a tux, but, common sense over-ruled.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 20:28   #16
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
Give you an Amen! the richest guy i know, (computers, self made) has an a Grateful Dead tee shirt on most of the time. e.g. in Vegas, they know him and treat him like gold--they know the rollers come in all dress and hairstyles (his is a long grey pony). its the posers who dont get this.
No, that isnt true.

The richest and most powerful people are still the most often best dressed, even if you can find outliers.

For example, the perennial best dressed man, there isnt really any place on Earth were someone wouldnt know his name and he is the antithesis of poser.

The Okie Corral

People in power, Hollywood and the captains of industry. All tend to be well dressed and they are anything but posers.

There is another side of this, beautiful and famous women are often well dressed as well, and at their side is often a well dressed man. That should be a lesson.

Even the guy who is being a "poser" by dressing up when there is little need is probably going to end up in a good place.

Last edited by Rabbi; 02-24-2015 at 20:54..
Old 02-24-2015, 20:45   #17
mt920

Very interesting topic...

I was raised to be comfortable, confident and capable to dress for the occasion. Attending black tie events with the "who's who", participating in business meetings with high net worth clients, and partaking in a meal at a five star restaurant is a norm for me. Therefore, I need to be (1) COMFORTABLE in wearing three piece suit, tux, and a button up shirt with jeans, sportscoat and a tie (including bow tie); (2) CONFIDENT enough to not be concerned of what other people may think about my attire; and (3) CAPABLE to dress appropriately for the occasion.

Those same values were instilled into my son at a very young age.
mt920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 20:54   #18
moeman

Quote:
I dont understand the aversion to a suit. It can be based on difficulty.

do you wear shoes? Do you wear socks? do you wear pants with a belt? Do you wear a shirt? Do you ever wear a jacket?

That just leaves the tie.

That is the secret of getting "dressed up" for a guy. It really doesnt require much more effort and the pay off is fairly high if you know how to spend the currency of dressing well.
Says a suit guy... Others--We look at your type like a peacock. Who you trying to impress your mom? If this is how you'd roll into a friends house for dinner, then I take this back. If this is how you try to PRESENT yourself to strangers--then people like me know your trying to punch above your weight so much you are now discounted.

And like my first post--business takers are always wearing a suit. A self-made guy like Jobs was keen on ditching the tie since the old school buisness robots dressed IBM 50's.I'll send you my corporate tie and pocket square after our medical congress next week for free if you want them.

I'm in the busines world and a suit to me is like you LEO uniform to you. So I do wear them--That doesn't mean I wont wear a nice jacket/blazer but only if it's cold. If hot--it's peacock to me.

BTW: My younger brothers, don't wear a suit and are proud to disply tats. Not for me, but at least they aren't dweebs.

Last edited by moeman; 02-24-2015 at 23:13..
Old 02-24-2015, 20:57   #19
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
No, that isnt true.

The richest and most powerful people are still the most often best dressed, even if you can find outliers.

For example, the perennial best dressed man, there isnt really any place on Earth were someone wouldnt know his name and he is the antithesis of poser.

The Okie Corral

People in power, Hollywood and the captains of industry. All tend to be well dressed and they are anything but posers.

There is another side of this, beautiful and famous women are often well dressed as well, and at their side is often a well dressed man. That should be a lesson.

Even the guy who is being a "poser" by dressing up when there is little need is probably going to end up in a good place.
I guessed Rupert Murdoch. He looks like a Rupert.

I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed when going out, but I'm usually just jeans and a T-shirt or, to be a bit dressier, jeans and Polo unless explicitly required.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 20:58   #20
moeman

Quote:
No, that isnt true.

The Okie Corral

Your shi tting me he's the best dressed!? ... A "royal blueblood" the definition of a poser--borne into staus...that simpish, dolt who is entitled... He should gone have all the way with a powdered wig and a cod piece.

Geez, Rabbi you want in the WASP club that bad?

dude, how many moons on the planet you are on?

Last edited by moeman; 02-24-2015 at 23:14..