GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-13-2010, 23:57   #1
Aznglock

NIGHT sight or Crimson trace laser, OR BOTH????

NIGHT sight

Crimson trace laser

Or

BOTTTTTHHHHHH??????

Aznglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:56   #2
RayB
Retired Member

I'm a LaserMax guy, myself, but I say both!

The night sights are a passive targeting system.

A laser designator is an active-aggressive targeting system.

They are different tools.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 14:33   #3
Aznglock

RayB!!.....

Lasermax, which type do u have?

if it is the guideROD type laser...for what model glock.

Have u had any issue with it? jamming, breaking etc? these are all bad things i heard about the lasermax.

I own a g30sf

they are a bit pricey...compare to CT but they do look cooler than CT. lol
Aznglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 23:27   #4
streakpi
Meat on a Steek

I want a Lasermax for my almost-bought G23 and G36 GEN4 guns...but they don't work in GEN4 guns. Hmmm, do I buy GEN3 RTF G23 and get the laser.....I wonder....
streakpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 23:31   #5
Happy Hunting

I have both on my 220. A laser(CT or guiderod) is never going to be a detriment to your pistol. If you've got a spare $250+ there's nothing holding you back. The laser is nice for quick practice at realistic ranges, but when regular shooting I leave it off to keep my eyes on the sights instead of the red dot dancing on the target.
Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 23:31   #6
Havasu

Get a laserlyte. It's a better deal all around. It replaces the rear sight and they have no breakage problems I am aware of.
Old 01-01-2011, 23:34   #7
Mamaluke

Night sights.
Mamaluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Glock has night sights
S&W 642 has CT laser grios
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:39   #9
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznglock View Post
RayB!!.....

Lasermax, which type do u have?

if it is the guideROD type laser...for what model glock.

Have u had any issue with it? jamming, breaking etc? these are all bad things i heard about the lasermax.

I own a g30sf

they are a bit pricey...compare to CT but they do look cooler than CT. lol

Hi!

We've got the guide rod lasers in Judy's G19 and my G21. Both units have proved to be durable, accurate, and dependable over thousands of rounds on each weapon! The unit in my G21 will, occasionally turn itself on during firing, but it never fails to activiate, so it's NBD to me. The unit in Judy's G19 has been flawless.

Honestly, we don't use the lasers too often at the range. I mean, with good trigger control, you can chew the centers out of targets all day long, with absolutely boring reliability--how fun is that?

Invariably, we pop the OEM guide rods back in for practice!

I tried a LaserMax Sabre on my trusty 3rd Gen G17 (14,000 + rounds without so much as a hiccup!), and while it's a slick product, and a great design, my large hands didn't work too well with it--I gave it to a friend. He likes it!

I received a LaserMax Uni-Green as a gift a few years back, and I like it! It's actually handier to activate than the guide rod lasers, weighs "nothing", and that green beam is outstanding for all around visibility!

I did find that our SureFire X200 A & B weapon lights would not lock up beneath the Uni-Green laser, but an Insight XTI Procyon fits nicely!

Still, the guide rod lasers are slick--I mean, how tricked out is that! I'll be there when LaserMax produces a green guide rod laser, which doesn't look to be anytime soon.

While I prefer deliberate activation on a bedside weapon, instant-on is a great feature on a CCW or BUG...

Still, I wasn't too crazy about the CT grips on the Glocks either... Crimson Trace is a great product, and the company's a class act, and I like their grips just fine on a revolver or 1911, but not the Glocks--it just messes up the gun's ergonomics too much for me.

I have on two occasions rented a G30--never a SF--and loved it! It was next on my list, but Obamanomics bit the hindend out of my business, and I can't honestly justify the expense right now. I did handle a G30 SF in October, and I was liking it a lot!

--Ray

P.S. I'm sorry I overlooked your post, and took so long to reply!

Last edited by RayB; 01-02-2011 at 12:43.. Reason: Add P.S.
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 13:12   #10
IMightBeWrong
Straw Dog

Night Sights only for the purpose of helping you find the weapon in the dark if it's a night stand gun, plus a flashlight. Lasers are a gimmick imo, and not as reliable as a good sight picture. The reason that I say night sights for helping find the weapon and not for lining them up is that with a light on your eyes won't be able to pick up the glow and the sights will appear in silhouette shape only. I don't like lasers as they add complexity to training methods by having to practice more than one sighting system. Since lasers are often hard for the eye to pick up, particularly on things like dark clothing, using your sights seems like the best method imo. Ymmv.

"One of the greatest joys known to man is to take a flight into ignorance in search of knowledge..." - Robert Lynd
IMightBeWrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 13:27   #11
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Lasermax internals are far superior for those guns that they're made for. Regarding crimson trace versus night sights, they're two separate things. Neither will identify a target in the dark. I prefer night sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
Hi!

We've got the guide rod lasers in Judy's G19 and my G21. Both units have proved to be durable, accurate, and dependable over thousands of rounds on each weapon! The unit in my G21 will, occasionally turn itself on during firing, but it never fails to activiate, so it's NBD to me. The unit in Judy's G19 has been flawless.

Honestly, we don't use the lasers too often at the range. I mean, with good trigger control, you can chew the centers out of targets all day long, with absolutely boring reliability--how fun is that?

Invariably, we pop the OEM guide rods back in for practice!

I tried a LaserMax Sabre on my trusty 3rd Gen G17 (14,000 + rounds without so much as a hiccup!), and while it's a slick product, and a great design, my large hands didn't work too well with it--I gave it to a friend. He likes it!

I received a LaserMax Uni-Green as a gift a few years back, and I like it! It's actually handier to activate than the guide rod lasers, weighs "nothing", and that green beam is outstanding for all around visibility!

I did find that our SureFire X200 A & B weapon lights would not lock up beneath the Uni-Green laser, but an Insight XTI Procyon fits nicely!

Still, the guide rod lasers are slick--I mean, how tricked out is that! I'll be there when LaserMax produces a green guide rod laser, which doesn't look to be anytime soon.

While I prefer deliberate activation on a bedside weapon, instant-on is a great feature on a CCW or BUG...

Still, I wasn't too crazy about the CT grips on the Glocks either... Crimson Trace is a great product, and the company's a class act, and I like their grips just fine on a revolver or 1911, but not the Glocks--it just messes up the gun's ergonomics too much for me.

I have on two occasions rented a G30--never a SF--and loved it! It was next on my list, but Obamanomics bit the hindend out of my business, and I can't honestly justify the expense right now. I did handle a G30 SF in October, and I was liking it a lot!

--Ray

P.S. I'm sorry I overlooked your post, and took so long to reply!
Old 01-02-2011, 22:55   #12
AaronZR2

I say both. I have lasergrips and XS sights on my G19. The laser is great for acquiring a target quickly, however my philosophy is to never rely solely on technology. A good quality night sight backup is just as important as the laser IMO.
AaronZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 13:28   #13
silvrevo

Both,,

With a laser and the need comes up to defend yourself,, that little red dot on the perps chest might change their mind. Avoiding you all the issues that could come up after a shooting.

Night sights are cool,, and like one other said, you can see it at nightlaying on your night stand, ect.
silvrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 13:42   #14
MrSmoofy

Have CT Laser Grip and Night Sights on my G27
Florida Glocker #104
MrSmoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 17:45   #15
moreammoplz

I like my CT grip you don't need night sites. Or you could just go with a tac light.