Old 12-25-2010, 22:37   #21
1faSStchevy

Only the second guy will hear my Mossberg "rack the action"
Florida Glocker #134A

Currently: G26, G27, Mossberg 500A, Revelation model 330b, Mini-14 and 10/22
Wish List: G23, Savage .17HMR, Colt GoldCup 1911
Old 12-26-2010, 11:19   #22
unit1069

When he was attending college a friend of mine took a girlfriend to explore a cave he was familiar with.

When they arrived there was a guy sitting in a car in the parking lot near the entrance. The two of them went into the cave for about 50 yards or so when my friend recognized the sound of a shotgun slide being racked.

They hurriedly left, and he told me he believed some local meth cookers were engaged in whipping up a batch inside the cave.
Old 12-26-2010, 16:54   #23
Truckee
Aging Goat

I usually stay away from this sort of thread. But, some members I respect have said a couple of things that gave me pause. I've been prompted to waste a few minutes.

While I agree that shooting someone would be a horrid experience, I don't agree with giving a potential preditor any heads up (target indicators). I will attempt to intimidate them into fleeing, only after I've silently dialed 911 and covertly readied arms... and the perp is under my tactical advantage.

No rational person will be sneaking about my home at 4 a.m. I will count on the Mook becoming rational after I have the advantage, not prior to.
Old 12-26-2010, 18:03   #24
USMC06
USMC Retired

I don't depend on the sound made by the racking of my shotgun to do my work for me, but ... Aippi is absolutely correct. If you have never heard the sound of a pump shotgun racked in the dead of night while approaching an "unknown condition", you have not heard it all. It can be LOUD and paralyzing to many.
Old 12-26-2010, 18:29   #25
ennis

Years back, a friend and his wife woke to an intruder in their apartment. They had a pump SG and a Garand under the bed. Each grabbed one. The intruder stuck his head into their bedroom. They racked the slide on the shotgun. The intruder calmly turned and spent the next 15 minutes rummaging through the house taking whatever he fancied, before leaving. The ammo was in another part of the house. But, the point is, racking of the shotgun, as well as seeing, two armed occupants, did absolutely nothing to discourage this guy.

I know this is where folks chime in with, "an empy gun is useless" or "He wouldn't have walked away from my house". What any of us will do at times like that is another question. This is only about the idea that racking noise from a shotgun is an effective deterrent. It wasn't in that one case.
Old 12-26-2010, 18:40   #26
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Tactical Shotguns
Old 12-26-2010, 18:45   #27
ennis

Perfect!
Old 12-26-2010, 19:01   #28
feesix

Not to argue anyones point, I dont give **** what got them in my house or how good person they are. They deserve to be shot theres other means of makeing ends then robbing people at the dead of night.
308 BOLT CUSTOM
CZ 452 .22LR 16', RUGER MARK 2, S&W 640
Old 12-26-2010, 19:19   #29
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennis View Post
Years back, a friend and his wife woke to an intruder in their apartment. They had a pump SG and a Garand under the bed. Each grabbed one. The intruder stuck his head into their bedroom. They racked the slide on the shotgun. The intruder calmly turned and spent the next 15 minutes rummaging through the house taking whatever he fancied, before leaving. The ammo was in another part of the house. But, the point is, racking of the shotgun, as well as seeing, two armed occupants, did absolutely nothing to discourage this guy.

I know this is where folks chime in with, "an empy gun is useless" or "He wouldn't have walked away from my house". What any of us will do at times like that is another question. This is only about the idea that racking noise from a shotgun is an effective deterrent. It wasn't in that one case.
Stories like that are why I qualified my statement with the words "rational person".

Obviously the intruder in this story wasn't very rational.
educate children." -- Confucius
Old 12-26-2010, 19:35   #30
AZ Husker

Many home invaders are out of their mind for one reason or another. The racking of a shotgun may not even register as a threat to them. I don't intend to give fair warning. Mine's already chambered.
Old 12-26-2010, 19:38   #31
kimo

The only thing they may hear in my house will be the soft click of the safety or maybe a slight creak in the floor.
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton
Old 12-26-2010, 19:53   #32
VZ1600

Tactical Shotguns

Um, yeah. The whole "rack the slide on the shotgun and the BG will crap themselves" is as old as the dinosaurs. Gimme a break!

Proud Father of a United States Marine!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:37   #33
PeaceKeeper

I am going to build an alarm system that instead of blowing a siren inside the house it will play an MP3 of a shotgun being racked. That should do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member | NRA Lifetime Member | TT3, USCG ret
Old 12-27-2010, 12:14   #34
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Don't forget to add: "The Authoritays Have Been NOTIFIED!"
Old 12-27-2010, 12:35   #35
David Armstrong

Quote:
from Todd:
What if they decide not to load their shotgun and just use the “deterrent” of racking the slide to scare away the violent criminal offender? What if that doesn’t work? The odds are it won’t work.
Gotta disagree. While I certainly don't like the idea of threatening with an empty firearm, to argue the odds are that it won't work seem contradicted by reality, where data suggests that over 90% of defensive gun uses do not involve shooting the gun. Most BGs, particularly burglars, don't want to get into a fight, they want to get the stuff and go away. So yes, there certainly is a deterrent factor to racking the slide. That probably should not be your final line of defense, but it should not be neglected as an element in the process.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:46   #36
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Besides that, racking the shotgun would eject the shell in the chamber.
I agree - I wouldn't want to waste any advantage I have with a load of buck already in the chamber.
Old 12-27-2010, 13:04   #37
aippi

A simple act of asking your local LEO's how many break ins involve unocupied homes and unarmed perps will make any reasonable person understand this issue. Thinking your home is going to be attacked like the ending scene of the movie "Scar Face" is wrong headed.

A thief is there to steal not fight. He thought no one was home. Just making a sound will make them leave and yes, the sound of a pump shotgun racking and calling out that you are on the phone with the police, says get out. If you are so afraid and lacking in your ability with a weapon that you are going to shoot anyone in your home first then find out who they are and why they are there then you are considering a cowardly act that will affect you the rest of your life. How can you take the act of killing so casually and not see the affects it is going to bring on you, your future and maybe financial ruin. Train with the weapon, become proficient, plan your response and you will be able to deal with a situation and still protect yourself and your family.

I have complete confidence in my ablity and my weapon. I know I have the ability to be deadly if needed and to know when that is. I do not have start shooting at a precieved threat as I am able to deal with the situation and determine if deadly force is called for. I do not fear things that go bump in the night 'cause I can bump back harder if need be.

Stealing is not a death sentence. I have nothing that I can not replace in this home. I do not use deadly force to protect property. I have something else for that. It is called insurance. What I can not replace is my life and I will take a life if needed to protect my own. But to kill when I don't know my life is even in danger, no way. That is the act of a coward.

This type of thread always upsets me because some of the responses are so illresponsible and paint us as the gun nut killers that the anti gun people believe us to be. I also see the voice of reason in many of the responses and that is assureing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 12-27-2010, 13:10   #38
Aceman

aippi's post was great (as usual)

I WANT to announce that I am there, armed, and coming for you. I WANT you to take every opportunity to leave.

While everyone might not take the opportunity to leave - some or many will. Robbers want $$ and low hassle. And no one wants to be dead. As was said - "rational"

As for the "irrational" or stupid, or foolish or mean...now it's down to target ID and go/no go...

Better show up with your "A" game, because I'm showing up with the purpose of defending my family/children, a large amount of practice, a plan involving a backup shooter, the police on the phone, complete knowledge of my home, and a 100% tool for the job in top operating condition.

So, for everybody's sake, please exit the house now... And the go/no go; If you are standing there holding my TV in both hands - you are not a threat. You are however in a very bad situation...with a lot of opportunities to make very bad decisions with serious implications. So place the TV on the ground and lie down please...slowly.

Last edited by Aceman; 12-27-2010 at 13:15..
Old 12-27-2010, 19:11   #39
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Just keep watching those stupid movies people.
For the gentleman that said:
Quote:
I WANT to announce that I am there, armed, and coming for you.
This is a very bad decision to announce anything to the person who may kill You within a second or two.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Old 12-27-2010, 20:35   #40
bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
A simple act of asking your local LEO's how many break ins involve unocupied homes and unarmed perps will make any reasonable person understand this issue. Thinking your home is going to be attacked like the ending scene of the movie "Scar Face" is wrong headed.

A thief is there to steal not fight. He thought no one was home. Just making a sound will make them leave and yes, the sound of a pump shotgun racking and calling out that you are on the phone with the police, says get out. If you are so afraid and lacking in your ability with a weapon that you are going to shoot anyone in your home first then find out who they are and why they are there then you are considering a cowardly act that will affect you the rest of your life. How can you take the act of killing so casually and not see the affects it is going to bring on you, your future and maybe financial ruin. Train with the weapon, become proficient, plan your response and you will be able to deal with a situation and still protect yourself and your family.

I have complete confidence in my ablity and my weapon. I know I have the ability to be deadly if needed and to know when that is. I do not have start shooting at a precieved threat as I am able to deal with the situation and determine if deadly force is called for. I do not fear things that go bump in the night 'cause I can bump back harder if need be.

Stealing is not a death sentence. I have nothing that I can not replace in this home. I do not use deadly force to protect property. I have something else for that. It is called insurance. What I can not replace is my life and I will take a life if needed to protect my own. But to kill when I don't know my life is even in danger, no way. That is the act of a coward.

This type of thread always upsets me because some of the responses are so illresponsible and paint us as the gun nut killers that the anti gun people believe us to be. I also see the voice of reason in many of the responses and that is assureing.
I understand your point, but I believe you are judging some/not all peoples
responses wrong.
I do not want to shoot anyone either, However I think that once a person has entered your home uninvited the rules have now changed!

You have no Idea what there intentions are, yes you are right 95% of those people thought the house was empty and will leave as fast as possible, but that other 5% well thats the ones we need to worry about.

I think racking the slide for the sake of intimidation is wrong headed.
If they know anything about shotguns they now have an idea that you may be intimidated and more than likely you only have a max of 8 shots before reload then maybe 4 on the side. Also pumps are known to short stroke when the person operating it is nervous or scarred.
It happens not often but it can.

They also know the general direction you are from that noise.
I think if you chose to say something to him/her/them(more than one person is more common all the time)
It should be that you called 911 and they are on your way and you should leave Now!
After you have gotten your kids/wife sig other in the room behind you!

And then if they decide to keep on coming you take the fight to them with as much violence of action and unfair fight as you can!!!
surprise is your friend.
you want to win a gun fight!!!!
Not make it fair chance time for the man who thought it was ok to come into your home and threaten you and yours.
If they leave great, if they don't well, I would show as little of my hand as possible to them! till its to late for them.

Closed Thread

Tags
self defense, shotgun