GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-18-2010, 19:36   #1
CDR_Glock

What Are Pros And Cons Of .223 V 5.56 mm?

The guy who I traded my gun for the AR-15 said he preferred Black Hills .223, which he said was $35/box. I went to a store and saw some .223 55gr ammo for $8/box. I have a Rock River AR with a Wylde chamber.

What's wrong with 5.56mm? What's the advantage of a .223 over a 5.56?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I saw the ad in a trader and wanted a rifle.

Ha ha ha!

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 20:17   #2
boomhower

Get a rifle chambered for 5.56 and then you can shoot either or. 5.56 is a international NATO approved round for military use.(main reason military sticks with 9mm, it's NATO approved) .223 is more of an Americanized round.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 20:21   #3
MCKNBRD

Send a message via AIM to MCKNBRD
Google is your friend...5.56 is loaded to NATO pressures and the chamber has a longer leade. Your RRA with the 'Wylde' chamber will digest either just fine.

5.56 will be several times cheaper...but .223 will be more consistent and accurate, in the right rifle.

Byrdman

Do you shoot or do you talk about shooting?
Take the Appleseed Challenge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MCKNBRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 20:27   #4
wrenrj1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 marked barrel, but you should not shoot a 5.56 in a .223 marked barrel. That's why I bought an M-4 in 5.56.
Old 12-18-2010, 21:36   #5
vikingsoftpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
The guy who I traded my gun for the AR-15 said he preferred Black Hills .223, which he said was $35/box. I went to a store and saw some .223 55gr ammo for $8/box. I have a Rock River AR with a Wylde chamber.

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I saw the ad in a trader and wanted a rifle.

Ha ha ha!
The 5.56mm military chambering that has more freebore built into it. They need a longer chamber for tracers and such.

There are 4 different acceptable chamber specifications for the 5.56/.223 - Military, Military Match, Commercial and Benchrest.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 21:45   #6
Novocaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post

Ha ha ha!
Chances are your Wylde-chambered RRA barrel is stainless and has 1/8 twist. The twist rate is stamped on the barrel. If this is the case most likely what the seller meant is that your rifle prefers heavier bullets. Bullet weight aside there’s big difference between something like Black Hills or Hornady and Wall-Mart Remington. I would not be wasting money on expensive stuff until your groups with generic ammo shrink to 4 inches or so.
Novocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 23:29   #7
Petrie

If I were you I would go buy several different brands of 55 grain ammo. Get yourself the 5.56 white box winchester, the .223 umc remington, and some federal .223. See which ammo gives you the best groups. I put a scope on my dpms panther classic just to see what kind of groups were possible with it at 300 yds. The winchester was the most accurate round. If the air was calm I could put all shots in a basketball sized group using a 9 power scope. So, it is possible to get good accuracy from a relatively cheap box of ammo costing $8-$9 per 20 rounds.
Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 23:57   #8
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKNBRD View Post
5.56 will be several times cheaper
What??
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 00:01   #9
Petrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
What??

I agree. Only cheap 5.56 I've seen is steel case wolf and that was $5.50 per 20 rounds.
Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:58   #10
maxniman

I use Federal 5.56 brass - $6.00 (1000 @ $300)
maxniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:22   #11
glock22357
Got Ammo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxniman View Post
I use Federal 5.56 brass - $6.00 (1000 @ $300)
From where? Post a link so the rest of us can get in on that deal.

To the OP, keep in mind that you're asking a question on a certain specific part of a hobby that some here are very interested in, and have years of experience with. Their answers are geared towards other like-minded and experienced shooters.

I'd bet that there are words in some of the responses that don't even mean anything to you unless you google them, like "free-bore" and "acceptable chamber specifications." Those words and phrases have nothing to do with answering the basic question you are asking.

For the average shooter, as long as you have a rifle that can safely shoot both 5.56 and .223, there is no difference between the two. There will be no discernable differences in accuracy or recoil unless you really get into shooting your AR for maximum accuracy. And even then the most important aspect to being accurate is finding the right load for your particular carbine, not wether you're using 5.56 or .223

Nor will there be any price difference between similar loadings of 5.56 and .223

Last edited by glock22357; 12-19-2010 at 10:17..
glock22357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:11   #12
glock22357
Got Ammo???

Quote:
5.56 will be several times cheaper...but .223 will be more consistent and accurate, in the right rifle.

Byrdman
Shooter from anotha' motha' say WHAAAAAT?

Uh...no....absolutely not.....on either point.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:58   #13
surf

Much depends on the chamber, barrel construction, twist and ammo. However there tends to be more match types of .223 ammo and no doubt .223 is more accurate out of a .223 chamber than out of a 5.56 chamber. Most people who shoot this platform may not notice, but from pure benchrest accuracy, there is a noticeable difference in accuracy. Shoot .223 out of a 5.56 chamber and you will have less consistency in how the round chambers, or the slight amount of play in the chamber, which generally equates to less accuracy. So the statement that .223 is more consistent and accurate out of the right rifle is usually correct especially if it is a .223 and sometimes a wylde chamber.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 14:14   #14
MCKNBRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22357 View Post
Shooter from anotha' motha' say WHAAAAAT?

Uh...no....absolutely not.....on either point.
OK, where can you get .223 ammo (typically soft point, hollow point, polymer tipped, or match grade) for the same price as Q3131? I've found 20rds of 5.56 55gr FMJ for as cheap as 6 or 7 bucks a box pretty easily. Find me some prices like that for V-max or HP bullets loaded by Hornady, Remington, Federal, et al. and I'll buy them a case at a time.

And the 5.56 is loaded to a totally different requirement for pressure, accuracy, and durability. Precision, consistency, and repeatability aren't in the equation when you're making ammo that could be fired in rifles, carbines, or LMGs.

I stand by my statement.

Byrdman

Old 12-19-2010, 18:31   #15
FatBoy

Quote:
OK, where can you get .223 ammo (typically soft point, hollow point, polymer tipped, or match grade) for the same price as Q3131? I've found 20rds of 5.56 55gr FMJ for as cheap as 6 or 7 bucks a box pretty easily. Find me some prices like that for V-max or HP bullets loaded by Hornady, Remington, Federal, et al. and I'll buy them a case at a time.

And the 5.56 is loaded to a totally different requirement for pressure, accuracy, and durability. Precision, consistency, and repeatability aren't in the equation when you're making ammo that could be fired in rifles, carbines, or LMGs.

I stand by my statement.

Byrdman

BM,
You are comparing apples to oranges, or cheap FMJs to VMax and HPs, in this case.

Back to the OP, You Wylde chamber will be good to go w/ either .223 or 5.56. It should do well w/ heavier projectiles(if a 1/8), but try some before you stock up. 55gr FMJs for "plinking" and 69-77gr OTM/SMKs for groups and zombies(or groups of zombies ).

FB

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 18:56   #16
glock22357
Got Ammo???

Quote:

I stand by my statement.

Byrdman
I wrote specifically that there was no price difference between same/similar 5.56 and .223 loadings, like your standard 55 gr. FMJs., no price difference. If you are attempting to compare the price of soft point, hollow point, polymer tipped, or match grade .223 to M193, then yes there is a price difference. But that's not apples to apples.

As far as accuracy goes, I've never noticed any difference between 55 gr. FMJs in 5.56 and .223.

This all goes to my concern that replies to the OPs questions are not centered on the idea that he is just getting into shooting ARs, so he's probably not going to be using anything more that basic FMJ rounds to start. Hell, for HD/SD, learning to shoot and plinking, 55 gr. .223 or 5.56 is a fine round, nothing more is really needed.

Last edited by glock22357; 12-19-2010 at 18:59..
Old 12-19-2010, 19:36   #17
MCKNBRD

Sorry for the confusion...its just that I've never seen FMJ in .223, with the lone exception of the American Eagle AE223. Even that stuff is loaded a little hotter than regular .223. My point was that the .223 loads are typically going to be the hunting, varminting, or match loads and therefore more expensive. The FMJ loads are most typically going to be milsurp or similar, and mass produced with the cheapest components possible; ergo, they're cheaper than the fancy bullets.

Once again, sorry for the confusion, I hope I've made myself at least a little less muddy...

Byrdman

Old 12-19-2010, 20:41   #18
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
I agree. Only cheap 5.56 I've seen is steel case wolf and that was $5.50 per 20 rounds.
Do you guys have any issues with Wolf 5.56 ammo? I have used thousands of rounds in my Glocks... 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP in the past prior to my starting reloading. I know it's dirty but always went bang.

I just got my Daniel Defense DDM4V2, and will be shooting it for the first time in the next few days. I see Wolf is selling for $220 delivered for 1K at ammunition store and want to pull the trigger to get some. ($4.40 for 20). Eventually, I'll start reloading .223 but for now, that's got a be one of the best ammo deals online? Thoughts?
&
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 12-19-2010 at 23:23.. Reason: Wrong price quoted, even cheaper.
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 21:39   #19
FatBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Do you guys have any issues with Wolf 5.56 ammo? I have used thousands of rounds in my Glocks... 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP in the past prior to my starting reloading. I know it's dirty but always went bang.

I just got my Daniel Defense DDM4V2, and will be shooting it for the first time in the next few days. I see Wolf is selling for $230 delivered for 1K at ammunition store and want to pull the trigger to get some. ($4.60 for 20). Eventually, I'll start reloading .223 but for now, that's got a be one of the best ammo deals online? Thoughts?
I don't shoot wolf in my ARs, so I won't comment on that. But if you're going to start reloading, why not just get brass .223 and start your brass collection for when you get your press.

Just say'n.
FB

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 22:03   #20
BBJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post

I just got my Daniel Defense DDM4V2, and will be shooting it for the first time in the next few days. I see Wolf is selling for $230 delivered for 1K at ammunition store and want to pull the trigger to get some. ($4.60 for 20). Eventually, I'll start reloading .223 but for now, that's got a be one of the best ammo deals online? Thoughts?
A quality AR (like your DD) with a true 5.56 chamber should have no problem with Wolf. Keep it well lubed as usual. I don't want to start a "tier" war but the only problems I have heard are with lower quality AR's with non-5.56 chambers (whether they are marked 5.56 or not).

edit - I prefer brown bear to wolf.

Last edited by BBJones; 12-19-2010 at 22:07..
BBJones is offline   Reply With Quote