Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-21-2010, 18:21   #1
Flipz

.45acp Dies on a LnL AP?

So Ive just started reloading 9mm and will begin loading for .45acp in the next month or two. From the research Ive done on loading .45acp it seems that most people like to use a separate Taper Crimp Die even though their Seating Die also has a Taper Crimp. Why is this? Does the function of both seating and crimping in the same station not do the job? It seems to work fine on my 9mm rounds.

I'd be using an LnL AP and Hornady .45acp dies. I'm currently using a Hornady 9mm 3-Die set as well as an RCBS Lock-Out die for loading 9mm. Id like to keep the RCBS Lock-Out die in the press when loading .45acp so Im just trying to figure out what dies I should get for .45acp. Should I just get the Sizing/Depriming Die, PTX Expander (.451 or .452?), Seating Die, and Taper Crimp Die? This setup shoud allow me to keep my Lock-Out die in the press. Im just really curious about what you guys think.

Also, Ive read that Hornady's PTX Expander has had some issues functioning properly. Has this been resolved? From some of the reading Ive done it seems that it has but Id like to know what you guys think.

I also plan to use a separate powder measure metering insert so I can leave my 9mm metering insert set the way it is. And I would also have a separate Powder Die for each caliber so I dont have to adjust the die height when switching calibers.

Anyways, sorry if I asked to many questions but just wanna hear what you guys think. Let me know.

Thanks!
GSSF Member
Hornady LnL AP, 9mm & 45ACP
Flipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 18:35   #2
Colorado4Wheel

Your in luck. The new PTX item hornady sells will allow the PTX to function nicely. So no more worries about that it seems. Also, it's easy to setup the Seating die to crimp if you familiar with the process so no worries about that either. I still prefer the seperate crimp die but thats just my preference. No real reason other then I like two dies. So with 5 stations using the PTX setup you can seat and crimp seperately and have your check die. Thats probably what I would do.
Old 12-21-2010, 18:38   #3
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Readjust your powder rotor when you change charges, that's how you learn, it's no big deal. This isn't the Amazing Race, two minutes isn't going to make any difference.

Use the expanding die that will come with the Hornady set, leave your Lock-Out in place and seat/crimp with one die. Works fine... has been for a hundred and twenty years.

The new longer PTX is better than the original and with the new powder stop it lets you make fine adjustments to the flare but it's still not as good as an 'M' die if you're expanding to load lead.

I still owe you a PM but I can't put this stupid PS3 down... I'm blowing up bad guys right and left. Born with the talent I guess.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 18:42   #4
fredj338

IT is easier to set separate seating & crimping, especially if you change bullet styles often. It certainly can be & is done w/ the one die, some of us just find it easier to seat in one & crimp in the other.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 19:01   #5
Flipz

Thanks guys.

So my understanding is I can go either way:

Hornady 3 Die Set Setup-
1.Resize/Deprime
2.Expand
3.Powder
4.Lock-Out
5.Seat/Taper Crimp

OR

1. Resize/Deprime
2. PTX Expand/Powder
3. Lock-Out
4. Seat
5. Taper Crimp

I still have a couple weeks before I pick up my first .45, a Glock 21SF through GSSF, so I have time to decide which route to take as far as the dies go. I just wanted to have a better understanding of things. My only questions when it comes to the PTX expanders, which one would I use for loading .451 JHP & FMJ, .451 or .452? Im betting its .451 but just want to make sure. Ive checked everywhere I can think of and I cant find the answer.

And Jack, Im definitely not a lazy guy. But when it comes to readjusting the metering insert, having an extra one dedicated to .45 for only around $9 is worth it to me. Saves enough time so I can get one more game in on my PS3!
GSSF Member

Last edited by Flipz; 12-21-2010 at 19:06..
Old 12-21-2010, 19:09   #6
hoffy

On auto cartridges I prefer to seat and crimp in different steps, especially if there is no cannelure on the bullet. You will be seating the bullet as you crimp it and the last few thousandths the case can really be digging into the bullet. More critical with plated bullets. It is all about consistency. I have always loaded auto cartridges like this. On a revolver cartridge, using cast bullets that have a generous crimp groove, i usually do it in one step, but, if using maximum loads, or trying to wring out the best accuracy- I do two steps. I have an LNLAP and use a clip on LED light with a flexible neck that I clamp on one of the dies so I can eyeball each case for powder. zi do not know about your machine, but keeping a consistent OAL is impossible, and If I seated/crimped in one operation it would be worse(I have a very low serial numbered machine that has given me fits, bought it new, but was a demmo on the shelf. I am lucky if it will keep OAL to 15 thousands , I have tried different dies, double checked everything to no avail, Hornady has been good when the toggle broke, then the handle, no the handle was not loose, but it has been pulled from the bench to see what Hornady will do,most people like their machine, and I am trying too, but,,,,,,,) anyway, it has been a practice for a long time to seat and crimp in different opperations.
Old 12-21-2010, 19:25   #7
Colorado4Wheel

For FMJ you would use the .451" expander.

I like option 2 in your list.
Old 12-21-2010, 19:59   #8
at_liberty

You will need Hornady 290034 as the .451 PTX. That is the newest generation design and does expanding and belling. I had to get it directly from Hornady. Also get the 290049 PTX Powder Measure Stop as a warranty item.

p.s. these parts will eliminate the expander station, allowing a station for a separate taper crimp die and another for a powder lockout.

Last edited by at_liberty; 12-21-2010 at 20:08..
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 20:41   #9
Flipz

The PTX Powder Measure Stop was included in the box, so I have that part covered. They also included a powder measure baffle, and a Pistol Rotor & Metering Insert which was nice. Glad I didnt have to go and buy them separately.

Thanks for confirming that the .451 PTX is the one I need. I figured the .452 PTX was for lead which I dont load. I'll probably end up going the PTX route since it allows for a little more fine tuning of the seating and crimping stages.

Thanks guys!
GSSF Member
Old 12-21-2010, 21:09   #10
Colorado4Wheel

So you probably got the LnL in the last month?
Old 12-21-2010, 22:41   #11
Flipz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
So you probably got the LnL in the last month?
I just bought it from Midway last week along with a bunch of other things. Everything was delivered on Friday.
GSSF Member