Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2010, 17:02   #1
cowboy1964

M&P 15 OR (Optics Ready) newbie - need sights

So I took the plunge and picked up an M&P 15 OR on a good deal. Of course this model comes with no sights at all, it has a railed gas block. I'll add a red dot at some point but for now I just want some basic fixed or flip-up sights. I'd rather not invest a whole lot until I get some experience under my belt. Can I get front and rear sights for around $100 or less? I was looking at the Magpul sights but they recommend not installing the front on a gas block. Or should I just spend the $200+ and get Troy?

I know this is pretty basic stuff for you seasoned ARers but I'm new to all this. ARs are almost too configurable. You can go crazy thinking about all the options.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 17:17   #2
raven11

I was in your spot a couple of months ago , i just forked over the money for Troy, then went a little overboard
Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

if you want to save a bit of money Primary Arms is selling a Yankee Hill pair of metal sights for $139.99
Old 11-30-2010, 17:23   #3
BuffaloXJ

I have the same rifle, and originally just bought some MagPul BUPS, after talking with someone at MagPul they suggested I get the MagPul handguard with a bolt on rail for the front sight to mount to since I can't mount to the gas block. I later found out that I can't mount the MagPul front sight to a handguard because it's not a free float. I am now looking into buying a set of Troy BUIS, wishing I hadn't wasted the money on my MagPul BUPS.

You could always get the Troy front sight (M4 or HK style) and then use the MagPul rear. That would come in around $140 (ar-15tactical.com has the Troy front for $83.90, and MagPul rear for $45.55 and shipping is around $7, grand total: ~$138).

For red dots, look at Primary Arms (primaryarms.com). Their M3 and M4 clones have had nothing but excellent reviews, and they cost a fraction of what their real counterpoints cost. I actually just picked up 2 of their M3 sights on "Cyber Monday" when they had them on sale for $49 (reg $69). They shipped today and I can't wait to get my hands on them!
BuffaloXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 21:00   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The OR is one of the rare ones that have a gas block the correct height.

Get yourself some troys.

If the rifle will see any real use beyond the range for plinking...Get a real optic. Aimpoint in dot scopes, or a Leupold Mark AR or Trijicon if you want a variable zoom.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 00:26   #5
cowboy1964

Thanks for all the suggestions. ar-15tactical.com has great prices. Looks like I could go Troy front and rear for $190.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 12-01-2010 at 00:33..
Old 12-01-2010, 08:05   #6
Messer

Here is how my MP15-OR ended up...

Sights down...
Black Rifle Forum

Sights up...
Black Rifle Forum

Magpul MOE hand guard
Magpul ACS Stock
ERGO grip
Midwest Industries Sights
EOTECH 512
Vickers sling
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Spikes Tactical ST-T2 heavy buffer
(added since picture - Magpul BAD lever)

Did a carbine class with it last month - it came through with flying colors. Several of the other folks in the class noted how lite my carbine was compared to theirs - and that's what I was looking for.

Take care,
Bob S.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:46   #7
mike4570

Replace the gas block with a YHM 9394 gasblock/folding sight combo. Includes a front sling swivel. They run about $72 (Cheaper than Dirt) Then use any rear sight or a removable carry handle.
mike4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06   #8
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The OR gasblock, unlike most, is actually the correct height to line up with receiver sights.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:14   #9
TedG
Infidel USA

......Just spend the $200 and get Troy. You will eventually anyway.

Become an Organ Donor today:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 13:04   #10
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messer View Post
Here is how my MP15-OR ended up...
Black Rifle Forum
Nice setup. That's pretty close to what I'm envisioning for mine and it seems relatively easy to do. I think I may like a longer handguard eventually (for a longer sight radius mostly). I'd have to change the gas block to do that, right? That sounds like a project for further on down the road...

Last edited by cowboy1964; 12-01-2010 at 13:05..
Old 12-01-2010, 13:33   #11
raven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Nice setup. That's pretty close to what I'm envisioning for mine and it seems relatively easy to do. I think I may like a longer handguard eventually (for a longer sight radius mostly). I'd have to change the gas block to do that, right? That sounds like a project for further on down the road...
not unless you want to

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1483
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwe.../mctar-20x.htm

these mount around the gas block and leave it intact, there are more out there, it is just up to you how much you want to pay

Last edited by raven11; 12-01-2010 at 13:34..
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 14:04   #12
TedG
Infidel USA

This has a Troy BUIS and a GI front sight/block. A lot less expensive than a $350 frontend changeover. That's like a case of ammo.

Black Rifle Forum

Become an Organ Donor today:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 14:14   #13
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Unless you're trying to build an ultralight gun, Troy's are the best out there. I'm fond of the diamond. If you want to save a little money, Midwest Industry sights are slightly less robust, but work well.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 15:28   #14
boomhower

Get the Troy's and be done with it. Buy once, cry once.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 15:44   #15
ambluemax

I have MBUS on my M&P15-22, I have troy folding battle sights on my M&P15PSX.

I'm in the same boat as you, rifle with irons first...optic someday. If they are going to be your primary sights for any length of time, get some quality sights like Troy's. Sights are your only mental/visual control over bullet placement- don't skimp.
Old 12-01-2010, 21:51   #16
locosteelersfan

I bought a MP OR too. I bought a YHM front flip sight that is good to fix to the gas block. If I had to do it again.... primary arms is a great supplier. I got a set of their quad rails this week. They are 30 bucks. I would say get them and a front back set of magpul buis. For under a 100 bucks a primary arms M4 reddot is a steal, and they stand by their products. There is alot to be said for that. So for around 200 bucks you can complete your sights and have quad rails for a grip/light/etc.
Best advice I can give you without dropping a grand.
locosteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 16:17   #17
cowboy1964

Which front sight style do y'all prefer, HK or M4, and why?

I'm thinking of going with the YHM Q.D.S. flip ups. Only $139. Would the Troy Battle Sights provide any additional features over these?

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by cowboy1964; 12-02-2010 at 16:57..
Old 12-02-2010, 16:44   #18
raven11

i qualified on the m4 style (given it was a M16A2 so i didn't have much of a choice) and use Troy HK,

I prefer the HK style because i can acquire targets and line up the sights faster

Last edited by raven11; 12-02-2010 at 16:44..
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 19:10   #19
cowboy1964

Decided to go with a Daniel Defense fixed front sight and Magpul MBUS folding rear. I've already spent way too much time researching this, I may as well just jump in and move on!
Old 12-10-2010, 14:09   #20
cowboy1964

Shot this for the first time today (this is the first time I've ever shot anything more powerful than a .22 long gun... and that was 30+ years ago!). I had zeroed in the DD fixed front sight and Magpul flip rear sight as well as I could using a Sightmark laser bore sight. Distance was 25 yards. I am pretty happy with this considering it was from a standing position without a rest of any kind. Besides the sights being almost right on (I probably have too much trigger finger so it's hard to tell if it's me or the sight alignment... though I think I'll raise the front sight post a bit - if I were flinching wouldn't more shots be low?). I was also pretty happy with the group size considering I was a virgin. Almost half of the shots were within 1.5" of the center. I should improve quickly with practice. (BTW I was pleasantly surprised at how "not loud" the AR was... I was expecting a larger boom considering I was shooting in an indoor range surrounded by concrete on all sides.)

What fun. Shooting the Glock after this was a bit boring!

Last edited by cowboy1964; 07-22-2014 at 14:48..