Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:47   #1
kshutt

HK45 Range Report!

Well, I made it to the range Saturday and fired 215 rounds through my new HK45 without a hitch! The targets were shot at a distance of 11 yards at the indoor range that I shoot at, using a rest. The lighting was better at 11 yards than 15 yards, so there you go.

Before you guys start on me and tell me that you can shoot these groups freehand at that distance, I already know that! It's just that I can't shoot them without a rest! Honestly, if I didn't battle flinching, all of these targets would have easily been one ragged (and smaller) hole.

Anyway, I shot 20 Speer 230gr GDHP's, 20 Federal 230gr HST's, 25 Remington 230gr Golden Sabers, and 150 of my reloads (230gr RN Rainier plated bullets, and 7.0grns of Alliant Power Pistol). You can see in target #1 that I'm adjusting to the HK trigger. Yes, there's an adjustment for me. I'm used to the Glock trigger, and I was getting my finger pinched in the recessed area of the trigger guard. Later on, I started to adjust to the trigger, and it felt good!

I want to thank all of you that contributed comments when I was trying to decide about the purchase of my first HK! Glock Talk is a great forum, and has a lot of good people that hang out here. Thanks again!

Heckler & Koch Forum
Heckler & Koch Forum
Heckler & Koch Forum
Heckler & Koch Forum
kshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:49   #2
majette

problem is your first hk purchase wont be your last. great shooting!
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:07   #3
deeHKman
"It Is Written"

majette is right it will not be long before you have another HK, very nice shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
problem is your first hk purchase wont be your last. great shooting!

deeHKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:47   #4
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Now you need a P30 9mm to complement your new HK45.

If you like the HK45, you'll like the P30 even more!

JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 22:38   #5
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

That's good shooting!

To battle flinch - Get some dummy rounds. Make sure they're the kind made with dayglo orange plastic, that are obviously not live ammo, so you can find/save them at the indoor range.

Have a friend load your magazines so there's two to four dummy rounds in each magazine. (Or, you can mix your dummies with your live ammo and load the magazines without looking, and then, just to be sure, mix your mags up and pick one to load in the pistol without looking, so you don't know when the dummies are coming.)

Now, go shooting. You will be able to "see" your flinch every time. After each trigger pull, slow way down, go back through the basics of stance, grip, sight alignment, breath control, and trigger press. Analyze each shot and take your time.

When you do get the "click" from the dummy round, watch your front sight. (You should be only watching it anyway...) See what it does. If it dips, keep working on talking yourself slowly through the fundamentals. Naturally, when the dummy round "clicks," you'll have to do a tap-rack-press drill to get a fresh round in the chamber. (Do it without looking, so you don't know if the next round is a dummy or live.)

After about 10 magazines worth of this drill, quit for the day. When you have the opportunity at home, start dry-firing. This will build muscle memory, develop your trigger press, teach the trigger finger to operate independantly of the rest of the hand, and teach your eye sight alignment and watching the front sight. These things will all help reduce flinch.

Lastly, start reloading with a medium-fast powder like W231. It uses smaller charges of powder and will give you less muzzle blast. I find the noise and muzzle blast's pressure more problematic for developing a flinch than the actual recoil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:11   #6
kshutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
That's good shooting!

To battle flinch - Get some dummy rounds. Make sure they're the kind made with dayglo orange plastic, that are obviously not live ammo, so you can find/save them at the indoor range.

Have a friend load your magazines so there's two to four dummy rounds in each magazine. (Or, you can mix your dummies with your live ammo and load the magazines without looking, and then, just to be sure, mix your mags up and pick one to load in the pistol without looking, so you don't know when the dummies are coming.)

Now, go shooting. You will be able to "see" your flinch every time. After each trigger pull, slow way down, go back through the basics of stance, grip, sight alignment, breath control, and trigger press. Analyze each shot and take your time.

When you do get the "click" from the dummy round, watch your front sight. (You should be only watching it anyway...) See what it does. If it dips, keep working on talking yourself slowly through the fundamentals. Naturally, when the dummy round "clicks," you'll have to do a tap-rack-press drill to get a fresh round in the chamber. (Do it without looking, so you don't know if the next round is a dummy or live.)

After about 10 magazines worth of this drill, quit for the day. When you have the opportunity at home, start dry-firing. This will build muscle memory, develop your trigger press, teach the trigger finger to operate independantly of the rest of the hand, and teach your eye sight alignment and watching the front sight. These things will all help reduce flinch.

Lastly, start reloading with a medium-fast powder like W231. It uses smaller charges of powder and will give you less muzzle blast. I find the noise and muzzle blast's pressure more problematic for developing a flinch than the actual recoil.
Thanks so much for your response. I developed the flinching issue many years ago by shooting too many full-house .357 mag, and .44 mag loads. I've never completely beaten the habit. Your advice is well taken...thank you.

The load that I chose for the range on this particular day was a robust one for sure! I generally do this if: (1) I'm shooting a pistol for the first time that's new. (2) After changing recoil spring assemblies. My premise is that some pistols don't operate efficiently when mid-range loads are used with stiff recoil assemblies. I do have a favorite load, however, that I'll be shooting out of this pistol shortly, and it's: 4.6grns WST, with any 230 FMJ or plated bullet. If you haven't tried it, give it a try! I set the OAL to 1.260, or just under.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:39   #7
lvl1trauma

Very nice. It is a great pistol.

At one with the gun.
lvl1trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 21:25   #8
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutt View Post
Thanks so much for your response. I developed the flinching issue many years ago by shooting too many full-house .357 mag, and .44 mag loads. I've never completely beaten the habit. Your advice is well taken...thank you.

The load that I chose for the range on this particular day was a robust one for sure! I generally do this if: (1) I'm shooting a pistol for the first time that's new. (2) After changing recoil spring assemblies. My premise is that some pistols don't operate efficiently when mid-range loads are used with stiff recoil assemblies. I do have a favorite load, however, that I'll be shooting out of this pistol shortly, and it's: 4.6grns WST, with any 230 FMJ or plated bullet. If you haven't tried it, give it a try! I set the OAL to 1.260, or just under.
I'm collecting WST loads for the day I change over from SMP231. I'll save that one and try it. Thanks!

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 23:35   #9
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I wouldn't expect less from HK. They never disappoint!
Old 08-07-2011, 18:22   #10
deeHKman
"It Is Written"

Only semi. i have ever owned that just amazes me and after many years of shooting them...always makes a smile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I wouldn't expect less from HK. They never disappoint!

deeHKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 20:46   #11
bac1023

Great shooting!
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 22:27   #12
up1911fan

Nice shooting, congrats on your 45.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:49   #13
glockin-45

Kshutt- Great shooting! I just got the 45c and it seems to shoot way low.
I'm not that steady of a shot though. Did you have to aim high. I believe the HK home sight say's you aim above the bullseye? Congrats!
glockin-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 13:01   #14
kshutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockin-45 View Post
I'm not that steady of a shot though. Did you have to aim high. I believe the HK home sight say's you aim above the bullseye? Congrats!
I set that little 2X2" orange square on top of my front sight, and let 'er rip!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:47   #15
Comedian

Damn! Great shooting! My HK45 was extremely accurate as well. Best 45 i ever had.
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:27   #16
Search

Every HK I've ever shot was more accurate than me. They are lasers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockin-45 View Post
HK uses sight image three with their sights (Where as Glock uses "two" for instance):

Heckler & Koch Forum
Springfield Loaded 1911

Last edited by Search; 08-12-2011 at 05:27..
Search is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 15:03   #17
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Search View Post
Every HK I've ever shot was more accurate than me. They are lasers.

HK uses sight image three with their sights (Where as Glock uses "two" for instance):

Heckler & Koch Forum
yep - this. messes a lot of people up.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 18:32   #18
gforester
Motorhead

I also picked up an HK45 recently. I had it at the range a couple times to run some of my different loads through it. The 200gr. SWC's over 4.8 grains of HP38 I use for target shooting in my USP Expert doesn't want to function well in it. They want to stovepipe on me about every third round or so. They work perfectly in my USP Expert though. Next I tried some 230gr. ball ammo loaded with 4.3 grains of HP38. It fnctioned pretty well but would stovepipe on the last round and not lock the slide back. I guess I am going to have to load them up a bit hotter to get reliable function out of this HK45.

As for accuracy, well it isn't quite as good as my Expert but I am very pleased with how well it shoots. Here is the target I used today. I put 1 full magazine into the target free handed at 20', 25', 30", 40' and finally at 50' at my indoor range. I did head shots at 20 and 25 feet, body shots at 30, 40 and 50 feet. I don't see any reason to complain. If I did my part it shot as well as can be expected.

Heckler & Koch Forum
Florida Glocker #209
Free Body Piercings by Glock, Inquire Within!
gforester is offline   Reply With Quote