SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2009, 17:02   #1
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Inspection tips for buying used Glock

In the near future, I will be looking at my first potential purchase of a used Glock (I've always bought new) and I'm curious as to what you would specifically look for when inspecting used Glocks (or any gun for that matter) prior to purchase. I will probably not have a chance to shoot this gun before making my decision. My checklist currently includes:

1. Visual inspection of exterior for damage, scars, wear.
2. Dry fire for function.
3. Load mags for function.
4. Cycle loaded mag through gun by racking slide.
5. Field strip
6. Inspect internals for cleanliness, wear.
7. Check documentation of test fire date, S/N, matching numbers
8. Check for aftermarket internals.

Your suggestions to add to this list will be appreciated.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin

Last edited by beforeobamabans; 12-08-2009 at 18:57..
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 17:57   #2
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Make sure all the numbers match ...
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 18:00   #3
Maine1

check for aftermarket internals, such as firing pin and connector.

Most used glocks will be a little dirty. the only time i have been bitten is with aftermarked parts..but the gun DID shoot fine for about 8k rounds before becoming a problem.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 18:55   #4
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Thanks. The gun I'm going to be looking at is an early gen G30 (no rail). The seller also bought this gun used, claims to have only put 50 rds thru and hasn't been able to provide any prior history. He does have the original case and mags. I have a Jan '09 G30SF, so I feel pretty comfortable working the gun and taking it apart. I am very curious to get a look at the trigger bar after all the furor over scratched bars and related slide interference problems on recent vintage G30SFs. The seller is asking $350 which I view as fair. It will be an interesting exercise for me and hopefully that reknown Glock reliability will carry me through anything I overlook.

SCC and Maine: OP updated to include your suggestions. Thanks.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin

Last edited by beforeobamabans; 12-08-2009 at 18:58..
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 19:18   #5
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Find a gssf near you and they will go over it and replace any parts that need to be replaced for you for free ....
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 19:27   #6
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

As long as the frame, barrel and slide are not cracked or otherwise damaged, you will be fine. I know a guy who went to a GSSF match with a Glock he got taken on used that had no trigger guts or housing, just a paperclip holding the trigger in place. Armorer put ALL new parts in and sent him off to shoot the match.

Look for hogged out pin holes in the frame. I press them out and put them back to make sure everything is correct. Dirty does not matter much to me, means they are not trying to cover somehting up (usually) and shot it. Run your pinched fingers down the barrel feeling for bulges, and then look for any rings or pitting IN the barrel. Make sure the extractor is not broken (if it is, bargain the price down and still get it). I don't care a bit about hand cycling rounds, gives no indication of proper function, so shoot it if you can meet seller at the range.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 19:28   #7
ENDOtactical
GT Sponsor

In before the explosion jokes :P

In all seriousness though that list you compiled is good, except #4 might make some gun store workers nervous, or might not even be allowed for liability reasons

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Gun Blog:

ENDOtactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 23:16   #8
OVERTHEHILLGUY

Check the breach face. If it has a inward dimple around the firing pin hole, this will indicate the pistol has been shot alot, maybe with hot hand loads.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
OVERTHEHILLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:42   #9
voyager4520
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
As long as the frame, barrel and slide are not cracked or otherwise damaged, you will be fine. I know a guy who went to a GSSF match with a Glock he got taken on used that had no trigger guts or housing, just a paperclip holding the trigger in place. Armorer put ALL new parts in and sent him off to shoot the match.

Look for hogged out pin holes in the frame. I press them out and put them back to make sure everything is correct. Dirty does not matter much to me, means they are not trying to cover somehting up (usually) and shot it. Run your pinched fingers down the barrel feeling for bulges, and then look for any rings or pitting IN the barrel. Make sure the extractor is not broken (if it is, bargain the price down and still get it). I don't care a bit about hand cycling rounds, gives no indication of proper function, so shoot it if you can meet seller at the range.
My philosophy. Make sure the gun isn't stolen or anything, matching serial numbers, and as long as the slide, barrel, and frame are in good condition I'll buy it, but not for more than $400 because if I have to replace internals anything over $400 I might've been better off buying a new one. The pin holes in the frame is a good suggestion, some people detail strip so often that these holes get too enlarged.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:57   #10
k80clay

Yea, I don't know about #4. Personally, I wouldn't let a prospective buyer load a pistol (ever see Terminator?).

I dry fire the pistol, and with the trigger held back, push on the top of the chamber. If there is a lot of movement, it's pretty worn. If there is just a little, less so, but keep in mind, even the new guns will have a little play when you do this.

It's usually not hard to see if a pistol has been taken car of or not.
k80clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:10   #11
JustShoot-IT
GrudgingGlocker

Excellent idea for a thread. Interestingly Ive never bought a new firearm and I have some.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Although Id probably do it if the seller allowed, I think that #4 could be an issue. I have a Sig 226 40S&W that hangs up when chambering while cycling by hand (even after polishing the feed ramp, etc.) BUT it has no issues cycling when firing or chambering via the slide release.
<o:p></o:p>
Markasaurus: in my part of CA it is rare to walk into a gunshop and not see a used Glock. In a State near me they discount them to sell them but they cannot keep revolvers on the shelves! Go figure?<o:p></o:p>
JustShoot-IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 23:19   #12
AZDUDE95
Rad Tupperware

Shoot under water.J/K!
Your list looks good. I like to Check recoil spring by aiming gun verticle (unloaded ofcourse) no magazine, pull slide back and slowly let forward to see how slide goes into full battery. Doing this with a new gun will give a good point of ref. May have to upgrade to a new style trigger bar being a 4256-1 vs. old style 4256.

Last edited by AZDUDE95; 02-17-2010 at 23:21..
AZDUDE95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:18   #13
bmwmpb

Great thread. Thanks for all of info. I would feel pretty comfortable purchasing a used gun. Utilizing all of the posts, here's the current check sheet:

1. Visual inspection of exterior for damage, scars, wear.
2. Look for hogged out pin holes in the frame. Press them out and put them back to make sure everything is correct.
3. Check the breach face. If it has a inward dimple around the firing pin hole, this will indicate the pistol has been shot alot, maybe with hot hand loads.
4. Check recoil spring by aiming gun verticle (unloaded), no magazine, pull slide back and slowly let forward to see how slide goes into full battery.
5. Load mags for function.
6. Cycle loaded mag through gun by racking slide.
7. Dry fire for function. With the trigger held back, push on the top of the chamber. If there is a lot of movement, it's pretty worn. If there is just a little, less so, but keep in mind, even the new guns will have a little play when you do this.
8. Field strip
9. Inspect internals for cleanliness, wear.
10. Check for aftermarket internals.
11. Run your pinched fingers down the barrel feeling for bulges.
12. Look for any rings or pitting IN the barrel.
13. Make sure the extractor is not broken
14.Check documentation of test fire date, S/N, matching numbers

Last edited by bmwmpb; 03-27-2011 at 08:19..
bmwmpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10   #14
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

With privately owned guns, I worry about amateur gunsmithing or aftermarket parts. With LE guns, I don't worry- moderately high round count and immaculate functionally.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:35   #15
Poopbear1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
With privately owned guns, I worry about amateur gunsmithing or aftermarket parts. With LE guns, I don't worry- moderately high round count and immaculate functionally.
So true....

Most LE guns may look worn to all hell, but a lot of that is just holster wear, and exposure. They undergo routine maintenance for the most part, and fired somewhat regularly to ensure functionality (and officer ability) and are usually very well taken care of.

What a difference knowing that your weapon most likely will be your lifeline in an oh S$%& situation sure does make you want to take much better care of it.

I admit, some of my weapons do not receive near the maintenance or care that my go to weapons do, but all get cleaned/checked after use.
Poopbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 13:37   #16
rodfatherjr

All these guys know more than I about Glocks! But, I would add the cliche: "more important than the deal is the GUY in the deal" !!
rodfatherjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30   #17
MKEgal

re: cycling through a magazine by hand
Use snap caps
or see
for contact info for my lawer.
MKEgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:43   #18
ken grant

Non-matching Serial #s

Glock replaced the frame on my 23 and now numbers don't match.
Just how much did this lower the value?
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:31   #19
G30SF46

Is there a reason why you wouldn't be able to fire it?

Glock 30
G30SF46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:41   #20
Big Time
Senior User

Or send it to GLOCK and they will check it out and replace what is needed.