SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-15-2010, 18:13   #1
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Lawman 185gr TMJ FN

Just bought a case. Looks like interesting ammo. For $299/case, it's cheaper than Blazer AL or Ruskie steel.

1050 fps / 453 ft.lbs. and that wicked flat nose. Hell, it looks like good carry ammo.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 20:18   #2
beancounter81

Been eyeing that same stuff since they got the shipment in. Let us know how it shoots!

beancounter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 00:45   #3
Ak.Hiker

Sounds like a good load. My favorite cop shop carries a 200 grain Lawman TMJ flat point +P. Another interesting load. I think it is a training load to match up with the Gold Dot 200 grain +P. Just like the 185 grain TMJ will match up with the 185 grain Gold Dot.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:33   #4
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancounter81 View Post
Been eyeing that same stuff since they got the shipment in. Let us know how it shoots!
Finally got to the range today, and the Lawman FN shot just fine. Just to see if I could notice a difference, I took four boxes of different brand ammo. The other three were all 230 gr FMJ: Aguila, Remington UMC and Fed Champ. I went back and forth between the various brands and frankly, it was very difficult to tell the difference. The Lawman fed just fine and shot just fine so I see no reason not to "load up" on it for practice ammo. Unfortunately, the vendor I bought it from got wiped out pretty quickly. I'd summarize it as a great deal at $299+frt for American made, brass cased 45acp ammo. If it resurfaces, don't hesitate to buy it. I know I won't.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin

Last edited by beforeobamabans; 10-31-2010 at 11:35..
Old 11-01-2010, 13:41   #5
Little Joe
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforeobamabans View Post
Finally got to the range today, and the Lawman FN shot just fine. Just to see if I could notice a difference, I took four boxes of different brand ammo. The other three were all 230 gr FMJ: Aguila, Remington UMC and Fed Champ. I went back and forth between the various brands and frankly, it was very difficult to tell the difference. The Lawman fed just fine and shot just fine so I see no reason not to "load up" on it for practice ammo. Unfortunately, the vendor I bought it from got wiped out pretty quickly. I'd summarize it as a great deal at $299+frt for American made, brass cased 45acp ammo. If it resurfaces, don't hesitate to buy it. I know I won't.
Try this for SD practice. It'll get closer to a full house .45 than the 185 or 200.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/cci/10...tmj-ammo-53656
Matthew 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24 For there shall arise a false Christ, and a false prophet, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25 Behold, I have told you before.
Little Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 14:39   #6

Quote:
Hell, it looks like good carry ammo.
Uhh, yeah!

Especially if you are looking for a lot of penetration.

The .45ACP 185 gr. TMJ-FP at 1050 fps oughtta be good for just over 29 inches of penetration. (through calibrated 10% ordnance gelatin or soft tissue, of course!)
481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 15:22   #7
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 481 View Post
Uhh, yeah!

The .45ACP 185 gr. TMJ-FP at 1050 fps oughtta be good for just over 29 inches of penetration. (through calibrated 10% ordnance gelatin or soft tissue, of course!)
Yeah, but I was thinking about Canyon Man who wants his carry ammo to go through a hand, an arm, two ribs and still come out the other side!

Do you agree that a FN will tumble creating one hell of a mess?

Old 11-01-2010, 15:24   #8
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
Try this for SD practice. It'll get closer to a full house .45 than the 185 or 200.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/cci/10...tmj-ammo-53656
That is great to see. They didn't have those when I bought the 185. I wonder why the Lawman is suddenly so available and so (relatively) cheap.

Old 11-01-2010, 18:31   #9

Quote:
Yeah, but I was thinking about Canyon Man who wants his carry ammo to go through a hand, an arm, two ribs and still come out the other side!

Well CanyonMan does like the extremes when it comes to his carry ammo, that's for sure and I am almost certain that he'd find 29+" of penetration to be on the "light side" for his tastes.

While bullets with significant meplats are less likely to "tumble" when travelling through a fluidic or colloidal media like calibrated ordnance gelatin, they do offer somewhat greater penetration than their "round-nosed" FMJ brethren since they have a lower cavitation threshold velocity courtesy of that physical trait. They do unleash a whole lotta penetration though.
Old 11-01-2010, 18:36   #10
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:

Dang, that is a very good description of my tastes amigo !

If the "meplat" is big enough the bullet should not tumble, I "know" it can create a mess without tumbling. The more surface area you place on the front of that FN bullet the less likely it is to tumble

Stay safe !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 11-01-2010 at 18:49..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 18:41   #11
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Well CanyonMan does like the extremes when it comes to his carry ammo, that's for sure and I am almost certain that he'd find 29+" of penetration to be on the "light side" for his tastes.

While bullets with significant meplats are less likely to "tumble" when travelling through a fluidic or colloidal media like calibrated ordnance gelatin, they do offer somewhat greater penetration than their "round-nosed" FMJ brethren since they have a lower cavitation threshold velocity courtesy of that physical trait. They do unleash a whole lotta penetration though.

So Now I am an "extremist" Eh?

Only 29" of penetration ! You insult me amigo !

And yes I do agree with the things you said in your post.

Stay safe my friend.

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 11-01-2010, 20:13   #12
Ak.Hiker

CM's favorite 45 Colt load I bet would go through 29 inches of gel, a nice sized tree, and a 20 lb. turkey {frozen} and still have enough juice left to reach the vitals of a 300 lb. bad guy. I do not think he stays up late at night worrying about over penetration.
Old 11-01-2010, 20:16   #13
Ak.Hiker

Quote:
Uhh, yeah!

How do you think the 185 TMJ would compare to a standard 230 grain hardball load in gel?
Old 11-01-2010, 23:28   #14
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak.Hiker View Post
CM's favorite 45 Colt load I bet would go through 29 inches of gel, a nice sized tree, and a 20 lb. turkey {frozen} and still have enough juice left to reach the vitals of a 300 lb. bad guy. I do not think he stays up late at night worrying about over penetration.

^

You forgot to add the two pickups one heard of cattle, half acre of cactus and a Case tractor engine block, then the 300# bad guy !

This is the guy always worried about his loads and caliber and what it will/will not do. HAHA!

One worry in life I "ain't got." Your right amigo !

To all the worry warts !

Stay safe out there gentelmen !

CM

Old 11-02-2010, 06:22   #15
beforeobamabans
FYPM

I'm just thrilled to once again see quality, American-made, brass 45acp target ammo for <$300/1000. Keep it coming Speer!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:49   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
I'm just thrilled to once again see quality, American-made, brass 45acp target ammo for <$300/1000. Keep it coming Speer!

Hey my friend, you bet ! good target ammo and a good price to boot.
Thanks for letting some of us nut cases have a bit of fun on the thread here. Can't hardly get us together with out it.

I also appreciate the PM you sent me, giving me the heads up on this ammo and the link to it. It will be good plinkin playin stuff, and can still be used for another thing or two. It is getting harder all the time to find good quality American made anything.

AK. Hiker told me of some 45acp RNFP that I thought he said was 230gr with a decent meplat on it. Maybe I am mistaken. I lost the info he gave me. I would like to find some to reload and carry.

AK, if your out there, where did you come across this ?

beforeobamabans, Thanks again amigo. Never stop sharing with me/us, when you come across something good. Thanks for the thread.

CanyonMan

Old 11-02-2010, 09:18   #17
Ak.Hiker

Magtech sells a 230 grain FMJ-SWC product number BU45B. At one time Hornady was selling a 230 grain FMJFP. This is the bullet Buffalo Bore loads in their 45acp+P 230 grain FMJFP load. The BB load is a very good penetration load as I have tested it out. The best I have found in the 45 acp.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:51   #18
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Magtech sells a 230 grain FMJ-SWC product number BU45B. At one time Hornady was selling a 230 grain FMJFP. This is the bullet Buffalo Bore loads in their 45acp+P 230 grain FMJFP load. The BB load is a very good penetration load as I have tested it out. The best I have found in the 45 acp.

Many thanks AK. I will make sure and not loose the info this time.
In fact I'm going to look it up right now.

Looks pretty good. Also in my searching I found the WWB 230gr FMJFN.
I guess I been reloading to long. I did not know they even made this. Problem is I cannot find any.

I looked at the BB you mentioned but it don't quite llok like what I see (for reloading) that Hornady offers. Maybe they changeg or I am looking at something all wrong.

I just want the largest meplat I can find on a 230gr FMJ FN.

Well AK, thanks again. I may order some of these (M.T.) and give them a try.

Stay safe amigo !

CanyonMan

Old 11-02-2010, 13:06   #19

Quote:
How do you think the 185 TMJ would compare to a standard 230 grain hardball load in gel?
Good question, AK.

Nearly identical penetration from both loads.

Employing MacPherson's model (as I am prone to do , just ask CM), a .45 ACP 230 gr. FMJRN at 825 fps should produce 29.081 inches of penetration against calibrated 10% ordnance gelatin whereas the .45 ACP 185 gr. FMJFP at 1050 fps produces 29.232 inches in the same media.

The increased sectional density of the heavier load despite its lower velocity compensates for the lower drag coefficient (the FMJPF has a lower cavitation velocity and is therefore a more "efficient" penetrator) of the lighter load.

Cool stuff.

ETA: Since I know that this is gonna be asked...

A .45 ACP 230 gr. FMJFP at 825 fps should provide 31.378 inches of penetration in calibrated ordnance gelatin according to MacPherson's penetration model.

Last edited by 481; 11-02-2010 at 13:36.. Reason: 'cause AK.hiker has an "inquiring" mind.
Old 11-02-2010, 13:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
So Now I am an "extremist" Eh?

Only 29" of penetration ! You insult me amigo !

And yes I do agree with the things you said in your post.

Stay safe my friend.

CM
Yeah, I know CM. You prefer loads that'll penetrate an armored car lengthwise, defeat a weathered old mequite bramble 300 yards deep and then zip through three armed bad guys (as they stand sideways).

You are the epitome of "extreme" my friend.