SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-31-2010, 16:00   #1
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Who likes the Phoenix HP22A?

I bought one a couple months ago (used) and I love this little thing!... I paid $175 (too high) for the satin nickel range kit w/3" & 5" barrel... Pretty accurate and it's been pretty dang reliable for me.

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the HP22?

Sorry for the crappy phone pic.

Rimfire Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:13   #2
Glock2008
Gun User

I have one it was my first pistol, I got it when I was 18. I liked it until I broke the slide, It took me about a year to find a replacement slide for it. My advice would be to only shoot standard velocity ammo through it, as mine broke using stingers.

Edit: Also to add, I think I paid 135.00 for mine and that was 6 years ago. I must have put at least 2-3 thousand rounds and several boxes of aguila hyper vel. and stingers. So don't get me wrong other than not being able to find major parts for the gun I did enjoy it. I only shoot it about once a year now though, as finding the new slide took forever.

Last edited by Glock2008; 11-01-2010 at 07:41..
Glock2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:28   #3
fgutie35

I had one, that I ultimately sold to a friend. Good plinker with surprising accuracy out of the 5" barrel. During the time I had it, I only had to replace the magazine catch. The only thing I didn't like was that you had to completely release the trigger after every shot in order for it not to jam. Not 100% reliable but like I said for plinking, and the $75 I paid for the whole kit (extra long barrel and extra magazine) brand new, I guess it was OK.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:13   #4
G26man
OBEY ME!

I had the same kit, but blued. I hear the "stainless" flakes off after a while, lol. I liked mine too and consider getting another every time I see them at gun shows. Strangely I didn't see any difference in accuracy between the two barrels, although there should have been with the longer sight radius. Accuracy was good. The one thing I really didn't like was the gazillion safeties on the thing. I found a way to disable the mag safety though. Can't remember how now but it involved removing the grips. No doubt a good value, but I do remember thinking it felt a little cheap when I took it apart. Thin metal parts, etc.
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).
G26man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:27   #5
SalfromCal

It's not a GLOCK but it is a fun little gun to play around at the range, very reliable with CCI mini mag ammo. I bought it for my son and he really likes it, a great little gun to plink with. Few safeties on them but you learn very quickly how to use them well, a bit of a pain to take it apart and clean but after all, its not a big deal. That's what I call a cheap gun right there. I'd recommend it, especially if you're looking for cheap range fun. If you are looking for quality and accuracy, go with the Ruger MK's pistol.
SalfromCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:25   #6
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

I will make sure to only shoot standard velocity and mini mag rounds through it so I don't have to go looking for a slide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 11-01-2010, 20:48   #7
southGA

I bought one years ago at a gun show. Had two barrels and seemed like it was made well. Then I shot it. It had a chrome finish which started flaking around the muzzle end. Then, about halfway through a bulk pack of ammo it wouldn't cycle. After looking closely I noticed the slide had cracked starting where it ejects the spent casing and then going around to the other side. There was only about 1/8" of metal holding it together. I tried contacting the manufacturer, was just about impossible. Then I did a search on here and other sites and found I wasn't the only one with this problem. In my opinion the gun is not safe. I should have known better though. I think I paid $130 at the time. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:22   #8
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by southGA View Post
I bought one years ago at a gun show. Had two barrels and seemed like it was made well. Then I shot it. It had a chrome finish which started flaking around the muzzle end. Then, about halfway through a bulk pack of ammo it wouldn't cycle. After looking closely I noticed the slide had cracked starting where it ejects the spent casing and then going around to the other side. There was only about 1/8" of metal holding it together. I tried contacting the manufacturer, was just about impossible. Then I did a search on here and other sites and found I wasn't the only one with this problem. In my opinion the gun is not safe. I should have known better though. I think I paid $130 at the time. You get what you pay for.
I have heard many stories just like yours... Hopefully mine will hold up a bit better!

Was yours a HP22 or HP22A?... I think that they made some changes to the HP22A that corrected the slide cracking problem (hopefully).

Old 11-02-2010, 07:35   #9
Chronos

I always really liked the overall form of the pistol -- if it would have been conceived more as a high-end pistol with high reliability, good trigger, and steel construction, I would have been all over it for double the price (at least). IMO, the market is crowded with sub-par .22 pistols which were never conceived to be anything more than cheap plinkers.
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 14:39   #10
Glock2008
Gun User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
I have heard many stories just like yours... Hopefully mine will hold up a bit better!

Was yours a HP22 or HP22A?... I think that they made some changes to the HP22A that corrected the slide cracking problem (hopefully).
It is a hp-22, but I believe that the only difference between the two was that the 22a came with a optional longer barrel.
Glock2008 is offline   Reply With Quote