Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2010, 19:03   #41
XNDR17C
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock26z View Post
I carry Ruger revolvers because they are dependable and less expensive than S&W products.
And larger and much heavier. Although excellent firearms, Ruger does'nt make a revolver that matches the small size and light weight of an S&W Airweight.
XNDR17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 19:28   #42
Super Trucker
NRA Life Member

Last edited by Super Trucker; 11-19-2010 at 19:30..
Super Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 19:38   #43
1 old 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNDR17C View Post
And larger and much heavier. Although excellent firearms, Ruger does'nt make a revolver that matches the small size and light weight of an S&W Airweight.

Well that PLUS the J frames just look so damn good. Like a 57 Vette, or a 63 XKE. P-E-R-F-E-C-T
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 21:58   #44
the perfesser

The perfesser and his 442-2, with lock, channeling Dr. Seuss:

"I would carry it with the lock.
I would store it in a gun sock.
I would carry it in my car.
I would carry it very far.
I would carry it 'cause it's nice
And I got it -- with the lock -- at a low, low price.
My snubbie with the lock is magic: Ala-kazam!
I like my J-frame, Sam-I-Am!"
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 19:59   #45
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock26z View Post
I carry a Ruger SP101 so I do not have to worry about a gun that might lockup when you need it in self defense. I carry Ruger revolvers because they are dependable and less expensive than S&W products.
While I've been a Ruger owner and enthusiast for almost 40 years, I've also had to have a fair number of Ruger revolvers and pistols repaired and problems corrected.

As a matter of fact, I have a nice SP101DAO that kept having the cylinder seize after firing only one or two cylinder loads of Magnum ammunition. Since I wasn't a revolver armorer back then I had the revolver armorer on our training unit check it out for me. He pointed out a simple issue with the pawl (what S&W calls the hand) and showed me how to correct it, which I did, resolving the problem. That one didn't have to go back to Ruger.

I have a Redhawk that had to go back and have the hammer, trigger and cylinder replaced ... a slide had to be replaced on a new P90 (and some parts replaced over time and hard use) ... misc issues with Blackhawks, a Super Blackhawk and a couple of .22 pistols ... some issues with a couple of Security-Sixes and others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Ruger makes very good firearms, but they're still just machines and QC issues can slip past during manufacturing and production.

After having attended quite a few more than a Baker's Dozen of armorer classes for various firearms over the years, I've not yet come across a brand/make/model that didn't sometimes require some correction or repair at one time or another for an occasional example. They're still just machines.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 01-02-2011 at 01:39..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 18:02   #46
Berto
woo woo

My first SP101 had the same problem with seizing.
Second one has been fine.
Old 11-28-2010, 18:21   #47
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I would suggest you either remove the lock nub from the bell crank or carry a no-lock.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 21:10   #48
XNDR17C
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I would suggest you either remove the lock nub from the bell crank or carry a no-lock.
Why? Please list your reasons for us and your qualifications and experiences that assisted you in creating your reasons.
XNDR17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 20:37   #49
TriggerHappy007

Done!

Last edited by TriggerHappy007; 01-31-2013 at 22:59..
TriggerHappy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 00:49   #50
Tilley
Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
Carrying my MP340 right now. I completely forgot about the lock until I saw this thread. I had intended to remove the lock when I first got it after reading some stories......on the internet. Like I said, I forgot about it and carry it all the time. I shoot it every time I go out and never had a problem!
Gangsta!!!
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 20:22   #51
Deaf Smith

If Fastbolt says the internal lock is no problem, then to me that means it's no problem.

And yes I have an airweight Centennial .38 with the lock and I use for CCW along with my Glock 26.

Never hand any problems with the Centennial but then I never use the lock!

Deaf
Old 01-01-2011, 20:45   #52
Iceman cHucK

I had three with locks and removed them all, no problems.

One way to look at the issue. If the gun locks up during a critical shootout it could be a "once in your lifetime" event and would be the last thing in this world for you to think about!!!
Iceman cHucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 21:56   #53
Tilley
Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
If Fastbolt says the internal lock is no problem, then to me that means it's no problem.
I had bought a brand new 360PD titanium snubbie. The lettering was "double-stamped" and looked like it was out of focus. I only own nylon bore brushes and used Breakfree to clean it, yet the protective coating came off the cylinder face and started to pockmark the cylinder face. I sent it back to S&W and the sent me back either a new weapon, or did a really-really good job redoing it.

After about 100 rounds of .38 WWB range ammo, the gun locked up. I have NEVER touched the lock prior to that. This time I took the gun to a local gunsmith who took the gun apart. The little spring that holds the flag came loose. If I rapid fired or if the gun was held upside down, gravity would bring the flag out, locking up the gun.

I had the gunsmith remove the flag and spring and he charged me $50.00. I didn't mind the little slot on the side of the hammer knowing the lock (flag) was gone. I eventually sold the gun because the recoil was way too much for me to shoot accurately with. The same gunsmith charged me another $50.00 to put the flag back in.

I now have a 342M&P .38 special and love it. I found a very good video online about how to remove the lock
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM)
and removed the flag myself, but I did not like the small round hole next to the lock where the flag pivots internally with. I bought a dremel and completely ground off the nub (I did a great job too). This is the nub:

The Snubbie Club

Since I really like this gun, I have no intentions of ever selling it, I am happy and confident this weapon will never lock up on me.
The Snubbie Club
The Snubbie Club
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06   #54
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
This time I took the gun to a local gunsmith who took the gun apart. The little spring that holds the flag came loose. If I rapid fired or if the gun was held upside down, gravity would bring the flag out, locking up the gun.

I had the gunsmith remove the flag and spring and he charged me $50.00.
The bottom leg of the torque lock spring (the small spring installed in the locking arm, or "flag") sits in a small recess in the upper area of the machined space in which the bolt rests and moves. This, and the small stud which fits in the left side of the frame, is how the locking arm is secured to the frame.

The spring holds the locking arm down under recoil, and pulls it downward when the locking arm is in the unlocked position. If the spring's leg isn't properly located in the small recess, the locking arm isn't held in position as intended. (You can't see the spring's leg and its recess in the posted image because the bolt is installed and blocks its view.)

During the armorer class I noticed that if the side plate is removed, and then the hammer and bolt are removed, and then the frame is tipped onto its right side, the weight of the locking arm can dislodge it from the frame, including the spring's bottom leg from its recess, and allow the locking arm to fall free of the frame. Naturally, the locking arm must be installed properly, which includes positioning the spring in its intended recess so it anchors the locking arm.

It's not my business to try and talk someone into, or out of, "liking" the ILS in new model S&W revolvers. I know folks for whom I have a lot of respect who have opinions on both sides of the "debate" about the ILS in the revolvers.

Fortunately, S&W has released some internal hammer (Centennial) models which are not equipped with the ILS, so those folks so inclined can have a few options when it comes to choosing a J-frame which doesn't have the lock.

I don't claim to be an expert when it comes to this subject (being just an armorer), nor am I under any illusion that any mechanical device/design is immune to failure for one reason or another.

It's just not something that keeps me awake at night, worrying about it.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:49   #55
ducati

I have not had a problem with my 642. I wish it would have been an option.
Old 01-08-2011, 13:08   #56
SuperSleuth

I would, but only if I couldn't get one without the internal lock.
SuperSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 22:34   #57
markesquire

I carry one everyday

I carry a bodyguard with lock and lock it everynight in my truck. It does give me some peace of mind with kids around.

Mark

Last edited by markesquire; 01-22-2011 at 22:35..
markesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 19:22   #58
fowler

Have one without lock,but had one lock-up with lock . Ground stud off lock then gun worked no matter where the key was turned. Best way is to take out all the lock crap and tread_tap and loctite a allen head lock screw in the from the inside and leave the off side flush with the frame. Looks and works great. I just bought a no-lock when they were out.
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:55   #59
NMPOPS

Send a message via ICQ to NMPOPS
I have a 642 and a 638 both with the lock and have fired over a 1000 rounds thru each with absolutely no problem.
Old 06-05-2011, 20:07   #60
AZ_Quailhunter
NRA Life Member

yes....I carry a M36 with a lock....and own one without a lock. Both reliable as can be.