Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-27-2010, 19:56   #1
creeky73

Questions about Federal HST ammo

So I have decided to get some HST, and I have a couple of questions about it. I am considering the 124 +p, 147, and 147 +p (which I had never seen 147 +p before). This will be used currently in a Glock G17, as well as a Ruger SR9c in the very near future.

147g is supposed to be sub-sonic, correct? If so, does this mean that it makes less noise, and would possibly be better for interior situations where you might be forced to fire your weapon without hearing protection, or will any discharge indoors be so loud as to make this issue pointless?

Would there possibly be any recoil differences in these loads? Will one of these rounds be less "snappy" than the others? From what I have seen in ballistics tests on these rounds, they will all penetrate and mushroom well enough for me, so if one of these loads will be easier to control and get back on target faster, that would probably push me in that direction.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Also, let me state before someone feels the urge to do one of the old "shoot what your gun eats reliably and you can shoot accurately" responses, if my gun won't eat it and I can't hit with it, I won't continue to use it, no matter what its reputation. I am looking for technical answers, please
creeky73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 20:18   #2
DannyR

I cannot predict the recoil levels without knowing the manufacture's claimed velocities, but the 124-gr should recoil the least. Loud is loud, regardless of velocity.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 20:38   #3
JBP55

I have all of the 9mm HST ammunition. They all have soft recoil but I would list most to least in this order.

124+P
147+P
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 21:03   #4
jhands

I think you are confusing what sub sonic actually means. Sub sonic means the bullet travels slower than the speed of sound, and will therefore strike it's target after the shot is heard (in all actuality almost no mammal will have the time to react before the bullet hits anyways, we are talking minute fractions of a second here). A super sonic load is the opposite: the bullet will strike the target and then the sound of the shot will be heard.
jhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 21:08   #5
samuse

I can tell you this: The 147+p is very accurate from my Hi-Power and G-19. 9mm is such a light recoiling round, a little more from a +p is not really noticeable.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 22:55   #6
creeky73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhands View Post
I think you are confusing what sub sonic actually means. Sub sonic means the bullet travels slower than the speed of sound, and will therefore strike it's target after the shot is heard (in all actuality almost no mammal will have the time to react before the bullet hits anyways, we are talking minute fractions of a second here). A super sonic load is the opposite: the bullet will strike the target and then the sound of the shot will be heard.
my question about sub-sonic was in reference to how loud it would be for me if I had to fire the weapon inside with no hearing protection, not in regards to how fast the bullet will hit the target.
Old 09-27-2010, 23:24   #7
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

As mentioned above, indoor loud is indoor loud! You won't notice the difference is what he's trying to say. Sub-sonic will not be quieter indoors. That being said, during most indoor combat shootings, the shooter experiences auditory exclusion. That's a big-ass fancy Latin term for "you won't notice!" Shooters often only remember a slight "pop" after a shooting and almost never remember how many shots they fired. Quit worrying about your pistol noise and focus on the sound of someone jimmying the lock on your back door.

Need to add... my department completely DROPPED all use of the Federal HST after numerous FTF malfunctions state-wide. Close examination showed obvious case length probs. One was WAY taller than the next etc. Of course this was with .40 but take a close look before you bet your life and your sensitive ears on them!

Last edited by Opie 1 Kenopie; 09-27-2010 at 23:25..
Opie 1 Kenopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 23:42   #8
rick458
USS Texas BB-35

Subsonic only really matters when firing with a suppressor, the bullet wont "Crack" (think of superheated air making a thunder clap after a lightning bolt passes)
As a rule bigger slower rounds in a given caliber are easier to control than lighter faster ones.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:40   #9
creeky73

thanks for the info guys!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:02   #10
dickmartin

Subsonic ammo is useful in silenced weapons since it does not create a "sonic boom." A supersonic bullet will still make a significant noise even after it leaves the silenced weapon, due to the sonic boom effect.

Dick Martin
Fairborn, Ohio, USA
dickmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:24   #11
Sonnytoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky73 View Post
my question about sub-sonic was in reference to how loud it would be for me if I had to fire the weapon inside with no hearing protection, not in regards to how fast the bullet will hit the target.
You will remember the shot...if you live through the situation.
Sonnytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57   #12
sciolist

I have the 147 and the 147+p for use in my 19 and 26. The recoil difference is noticeable for sure, but won't make much difference in accuracy if you have good fundamentals. The difference between loads is more pronounced in the 26 than the 19, so would expect it to be pretty negligible in the 17.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06   #13
Troy106

I like both loads and dont really feel that much of a difference in recoil. I know some people who have a strong preference on this matter. The Speer 124 +P is and the Winchester Ranger 147 are mainly carried by guys in my unit in their personal guns.
Troy106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:10   #14
Q400

Sub-sonic ammo is traveling at less than the speed of sound,below approximatly 600 mph.