SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:57   #1
bassman-dan
NRA Lifer

Are Canadian geese good eating?

Many years ago I was told that Canadian geese are not very good as table fare.
I don't know if that person knew what they were talking about or if he was just a bad cook.
If you have had good results at cooking them, what is your preference- roasted, baked, etc?
bassman-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:42   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I dunno, but Googling "Canadian Geese recipes" turns up a lot of hits.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:00   #3
bassman-dan
NRA Lifer

That is what i did. Almost all of the recipes I have found call for skinning out the breast and using a marinade to remove the "gamy" flavor. That would seem to indicate a poor quality meat.
Just wanted to confirm my suspicions.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:03   #4
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Send a message via Yahoo to pesticidal

I don't eat them, but up here if you refer to them as Canadian Geese instead of the proper term of Canada Goose, it's almost like the Magazine/Clip chastisement.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:23   #5
vafish

I've eaten them. Dark meat, but didn't taste bad.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37   #6
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesticidal View Post
I don't eat them, but up here if you refer to them as Canadian Geese instead of the proper term of Canada Goose, it's almost like the Magazine/Clip chastisement.

I was gonna say, "what are you doing, checking their passports?!"

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 16:27   #7
1 old 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman-dan View Post
That is what i did. Almost all of the recipes I have found call for skinning out the breast and using a marinade to remove the "gamy" flavor. That would seem to indicate a poor quality meat.
Just wanted to confirm my suspicions.

I have a friend who eats a lot of Geese and he said the breast, soaked overnight in salt water, is the ONLY good part..........and he will eat ANYTHING he shoots.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 17:04   #8
jjsobba

The best recipe I know is put it with onions, carrots, potatoes and salt and pepper in a pot and bake it. When it is done throw the goose away and eat the rest. That is why I don't goose hunt. My brother does make i into jerky and that isn't too bad.
jjsobba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 18:10   #9
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

It depends on where you shoot them and when. I try to go to Manitoba in October for early goose season and they geese I shoot up there are wonderful. But as the season moves on and the geese migrate south I've found they get tougher and the meat tastes stronger.

Now speckled belly geese (or Specks) are called the filet mignon of geese for good reason--the meat from a Speck is truly a delicacy.

My favorite waterfowl meat remains Teal...blue or green wing teal. The tender morsels of breast meat from teal are my downright fabulous! I love early duck season because the teal are so plentiful! They are also the coolest birds to decoy in. Not only do they provide some of the most challenging wingshooting in the world they also make a really cool whooshing noise coming in to the dekes!

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:21   #10
bassman-dan
NRA Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesticidal
up here if you refer to them as Canadian Geese instead of the proper term of Canada Goose
Sorry, I didn't know. We have only snows & specks down here.
I will be in Oklahoma in a couple of weeks where they will be having a management hunt for resident birds that are getting too numerous.
Since I have never shot one, I thought I might give it a try.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:28   #11
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Send a message via Yahoo to pesticidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman-dan View Post
Sorry, I didn't know. We have only snows & specks down here.
I will be in Oklahoma in a couple of weeks where they will be having a management hunt for resident birds that are getting too numerous.
Since I have never shot one, I thought I might give it a try.
No need to apologize to me. I say Canadian Geese and clips just to agitate people.

Old 09-01-2010, 19:02   #12
rfb45colt
safe-cracker

Young geese can be very tender and tasty. Older geese can be tougher than the soles of my old work boots. I eat them all, whatever the age, and marinating, then cooking in a slow cooker with some veggies & onions, and even the tuff old birds become tender. If I'm gonna kill 'em, I'm gonna eat 'em. The only thing I shoot that I don't eat is vermin... ya know, stuff like yotes, skunks, and Democrats.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:08   #13
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

They eat plenty around here. Grrrrr.

In fact, we've got a pile of them that have gone from being in the genus Canada Geese and into the genus Taunton Geese. F'ers never leave the industrial parks and semi-urban areas. Good forage, I guess. About one a week gets smacked by a semi in the park.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:13   #14
bmylesk

try American, not big on Canadians. these are very patriotic times.
bmylesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49   #15
bassman-dan
NRA Lifer

Quote:
The only thing I shoot that I don't eat is vermin... ya know, stuff like yotes, skunks, and Democrats.
Dang! I didn't know you had a season on dimmocrats in Wisconsin.
Rumor has it that they are pretty abundant in those parts. If they tasted good in a gumbo, I could probably round up a pretty sizable crew to help you out with that hunt.
Old 09-09-2010, 16:57   #16
ebm1973
CLM Number 267
Charter Lifetime Member

Duck is way better, IMO.

I cooked a Canadian goose for Christmas a few years back and for such a big bird, it had little meat and was greasy.

Almost any other bird is better - Cornish game hen, chukker, pheasant, etc.

California Glockers Club member #127
G29
ebm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 20:55   #17
TScottW99
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TScottW99
My friends and I love to hunt geese but we really had a time trying to figure out how to eat them. My best friend got one of the big dehydrators and I bought him a book of jerky recipes. He brought out a batch last week to a dove hunt and it was awesome!

I have eaten way too much of it this week. Even went out on a goose hunt and killed several more for more jerky

- Dale Carnegie
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 13:21   #18
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesticidal View Post
I say "canadadian gooses". I get lots looks but no comments.

Over the years, I killed several, on an island in Alaska. Nasty, nasty, nasty, but fun to hunt.

I had to wear rubber gloves (after the first one I figured that out) to keep that stink off me. I cooked them several different ways and they were all tough and tasted awful.

There were no crops and no berries around for them to eat. I suspect they were filling up on rabbit poop.

I made the comment I would never shoot another one. A fellow I worked with went into a long speech about he knew how to cook 'em.
So I shot one, he traded me a Hershy bar for it.

He never asked for another goose. I sure would like to have some more of them Hershey bars.
Old 09-19-2010, 23:11   #19
ctaggart

I've cooked and eaten canadian goose with excellent results. Here's how.

First, when you clean the bird you must remove all of the fat. This is the most important part. The fat is what smells and tastes so bad. Most guys will just breast out their birds but i've found that as long as the fat is removed, the legs are just as good. You may want to bone them out though. Take your cleaned up breasts and legs and throw them in the crock pot. Cover the meat entirely with cream of mushroom soup. Cook slowly until the meat shreds like a beef roast. It will have the same texture of beef roast and I think a similar flavor too. Once it is finished cooking, let it sit in the crock. Cook some egg noodles. You will shred the meat and cover your noodles with the meat and cream of mushroom. Delicious.

Last edited by ctaggart; 09-19-2010 at 23:14..
ctaggart is offline   Reply With Quote