GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 19:31   #1
Freedom101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Which is higher quality -- Les Baer or Ed Brown?

What are the pros/cons of a Les Baer and Ed Brown 1911? Which is more reliable?......more hand fitted or more consistant build quality???

Any info is appreciated.
Freedom101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 19:34   #2
Quack
Rent this space
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,684
Ed Brown is a nicer overall package.
If you are looking for a hard use gun, then the Baer.

I prefer the Springfield Custom Shop guns over either of them.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 19:41   #3
Ruggles
Senior Member
 
Ruggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,391
Quack gives good advice. I prefer m Brown over the Baer I had. I sold the Baer after I got the Brown as I felt the Brown was a better gun IMO. I prefer Wilson over both I think, hard to say whihc I would buy next a Brown or Wilson. Really can not go wrong with any of the guns mentioned so far IMO.

P.S. Stay away from flat triggers on 1911, they are for guys mostly trying to compensate for lack of "something" physically

Last edited by Ruggles; 01-19-2011 at 19:45..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 20:03   #4
GJ1981
Pitying Fools
 
GJ1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,394
I won't say which is "best" overall since it's subjective.

Baer

Pros - Kart barrel, usually cheaper in price, can be ordered with 20 LPI checkering. There quite a few high round Baer's floating around, they seem to hold up pretty well.

Cons - Fewer options, lousy sights (IMO)


Brown -

Pros - More options, nicer bluing

Cons - Will cost a little more than a Baer. I've seen quite a few Kobra Karry's with tight extractors. If you want to count it.
GJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 20:07   #5
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,102
Browns are more refined for sure.

Baers are tighter, generally speaking. I tend to prefer the way Baers shoot for me, at least.

Both are great 1911s.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 20:09   #6
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER
 
R0CKETMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SECONUS in HARD TARGET
Posts: 1,407
Easy, for the money, aka ROI, Baer. Why you ask? Just as good or better than a Brown for quite a bit less.
__________________
"BONES HEAL, CHICKS DIG SCARS, PAIN GOES AWAY"

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

shop.harrisoncustom.com
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 20:13   #7
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v
 
Officer's Match's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
Posts: 5,079
Compared to a Les Baer, Ed Brown's aren't hand fit. That is not necessarily bad - Brown's are pretty much home made from CAD design to final assembly. But if a hard fit and hand fit is what you want, a Baer is much more in line than a Brown.
__________________
REAL EYES
REALIZE
REAL LIES
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 20:24   #8
HAIL CAESAR
Senior Member
 
HAIL CAESAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my shop
Posts: 5,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ1981 View Post
I won't say which is "best" overall since it's subjective.

Baer

Pros - Kart barrel, usually cheaper in price, can be ordered with 20 LPI checkering. There quite a few high round Baer's floating around, they seem to hold up pretty well.

Cons - Fewer options, lousy sights (IMO)


Brown -

Pros - More options, nicer bluing

Cons - Will cost a little more than a Baer. I've seen quite a few Kobra Karry's with tight extractors. If you want to count it.
Good post.

It is really like this;

Do you like vanilla or chocolate ice cream? Both are great but different, depending on your tastes.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 20:29   #9
quantico
1911 lover
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 15,450


I think both are well made accurate high end 1911's. I think the ed brown looks better and has a higher attention to detail. I think the baer is more suited to rough use as a duty gun. The baer starts out very tight. The brown feels extremely smooth and moves easily.
__________________
member 1911 forum # 4545
quantico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 20:41   #10
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 20:42   #11
AZ Husker
Senior Member
 
AZ Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,208
I've had both. The Brown is much more refined and smoother. The Baer was a bear when new it was so tight. I'm amazed it even fed ammo. It did loosen up with use, and probably lapped itself into a perfect fit. A friend wanted a higher end gun, so I sold him the Baer. We never bonded like I did with the Brown. Resale value is much better with the Browns.
__________________
Luck will run out, but skill will survive.

Last edited by AZ Husker; 01-19-2011 at 20:42..
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 22:38   #12
PlasticGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 10,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Browns are more refined for sure.

Baers are tighter, generally speaking. I tend to prefer the way Baers shoot for me, at least.

Both are great 1911s.
I've got two Baers and one Brown, and I agree with this completely.

While my Brown is smoother and a little better finished, my Baers shoot better for me. I would buy another Baer in a second. While my Brown is not for sale, I don't think I will ever feel a bond with it like I do both of my Baers. Of course, it's all subjective. The very next post might be a guy saying the exact opposite.
__________________
I'd be a better listener if you stopped talking about stupid crap that doesn't matter.
PlasticGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 22:53   #13
MD357
Senior Member
 
MD357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,886
I prefer Baers, but honestly, either will be reliable, accurate and last longer than 95% of people care to shoot it.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:58   #14
DAT85
Senior Member
 
DAT85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CINCINNATI OHIO
Posts: 180
I have 4 Baers and 1 Brown so I guess I am little biased in this but I will admit that the level of finish(bluing anyway) is better on the Brown products.As far as accuracy,I shoot the Baers a little better than the Brown.

Customer service wise,Brown eats Baers lunch.

I had a slide flattened and serrated a trigger job sights replaced and the pistol re-blued and back in my hands in 1 week from Ed Brown.

Regards,
DAT85
DAT85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:03   #15
TSAX
USAF Vet
 
TSAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,123
Blog Entries: 2
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:51   #16
samuse
Senior Member
 
samuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South TX
Posts: 5,162
Blog Entries: 2
What makes some people think that a Baer would be better suited to "hard use" than a Brown?
__________________
"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick." -Clint Smith


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:58   #17
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
It is really like this;

Do you like vanilla or chocolate ice cream? Both are great but different, depending on your tastes.
Well said, Al.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:03   #18
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
What makes some people think that a Baer would be better suited to "hard use" than a Brown?
I'm not sure that they are. However, they do have much more the feeling of a "working man's" 1911 than a Brown does.

That's just my opinion, of course.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34   #19
RMA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 307
I have 3 Baers and love them all! The Baer product shoots very well for me since day one. No Brown's but I would consider the Kobra Carry but would probably be farthest on my must have list at the moment.
RMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43   #20
NDLAWRENCE
Senior Member
 
NDLAWRENCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
P.S. Stay away from flat triggers on 1911, they are for guys mostly trying to compensate for lack of "something" physically
NDLAWRENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14   #21
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v
 
Officer's Match's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
Posts: 5,079
I have had a few of each, loved them all, and honestly preferred the Baers. I don't believe that Brown hard fit's the barrels like Baer does, and I like the hardness of the steel in Baer's slides and frames. Both are great though.
__________________
REAL EYES
REALIZE
REAL LIES
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:24   #22
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!
 
Shipwreck-The-Sequel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hockey City, Texas
Posts: 2,385
I personally do not WANT a 1911 built as tight as the Baer's I have seen. I really like my Brown. I can take everything apart without a bushing wrench, but the gun is very accurate and built well.
Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:40   #23
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck-The-Sequel View Post
I personally do not WANT a 1911 built as tight as the Baer's I have seen. I really like my Brown. I can take everything apart without a bushing wrench, but the gun is very accurate and built well.
Come on, wrestling with a bushing wrench is part of the fun of high end 1911 ownership.

I actually need one for several of my 1911s, not just the Baers.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:43   #24
gpo1956
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I'm not sure that they are. However, they do have much more the feeling of a "working man's" 1911 than a Brown does.

That's just my opinion, of course.
I'm sorry, but what, exactly, is a working man's gun and what makes Baer more so than the Brown? Other than personal preference and price, there is not a lot of difference between any of the semi-customs. Baers are normally tight, the others not so sight. Hard-fit is an old AMU term for a method of barrel fitting. It does not necessarily denote being tight and hard to manipulate. They mostly use different versions of the same parts to manufacture. I've never had a physical problem with any of them, although I do have personal preferences for certain parts, such as MSH's and grip and thumb safeties. Ed Brown can be a ***** to deal with, but then again, so can Les Baer. You'll probably never find yourself on the phone with Bill Wilson. Baer's are typically more accurate with a certain load than the Wilso's or Browns, but I've found that the Wilsons and Browns are generally more accurate with a lot of different loads than the Baers. Personally, I think the Baer is the best buy and most gun for the money, but on every one I've owned, I've spent additional money changing out parts to suit my personal tastes, so it pretty much becomes a wash for me. But I really would like to hear what makes the Les Baer a working man's gun.
gpo1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:57   #25
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpo1956 View Post
I'm sorry, but what, exactly, is a working man's gun and what makes Baer more so than the Brown? Other than personal preference and price, there is not a lot of difference between any of the semi-customs. Baers are normally tight, the others not so sight. Hard-fit is an old AMU term for a method of barrel fitting. It does not necessarily denote being tight and hard to manipulate. They mostly use different versions of the same parts to manufacture. I've never had a physical problem with any of them, although I do have personal preferences for certain parts, such as MSH's and grip and thumb safeties. Ed Brown can be a ***** to deal with, but then again, so can Les Baer. You'll probably never find yourself on the phone with Bill Wilson. Baer's are typically more accurate with a certain load than the Wilso's or Browns, but I've found that the Wilsons and Browns are generally more accurate with a lot of different loads than the Baers. Personally, I think the Baer is the best buy and most gun for the money, but on every one I've owned, I've spent additional money changing out parts to suit my personal tastes, so it pretty much becomes a wash for me. But I really would like to hear what makes the Les Baer a working man's gun.
Its just an opinion. Its more a feeling than anything concrete.

It feels more "raw" and less refined. The checkering is uneven and clearly done by hand. The parts fitting and finish is different. The grips and even the grip screws just point to a gun that's built for shooting and hard use. That's not saying that Browns aren't as durable, but a Baer has more "personality", if you will. Its just the way I look at it.

I disagree that there isn't much difference when it comes to the semi-customs. I think there is quite a bit of difference. All are high quality, but they have their distinct differences. Otherwise, threads like this wouldn't have much purpose, would they?
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 777
167 Members
610 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42