Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-31-2010, 16:16   #1
sciolist

one-handed malfunction clearance

Was working on this in a class earlier this month and ran into some issues. All other things equal, I would prefer to develop a technique/s that maintains maximum universality (minimum of specialized gear) and keeps the muzzle pointed toward the threat.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
So we are clearing a double-feed using only the strong hand, which is my right. Easy enough to rack the slide on my hip with the muzzle down-range, but then I have about a 10% chance of stove-piping the ejecting round, as the port is oriented up. Can overcome that somewhat by rotating gun on counterclockwise on bore axis, but still not fool-proof. Racking on belt is 99%, but requires directing muzzle away from threat, and also toward ground, which is not good, especially on pavement.<o:p></o:p>
Racking on belt does allow one-handed locking of slide though, which eliminates need to strip mag forcibly from well, which I cannot do one-handed without an additional component (plate extension to hook belt buckle, modify belt buckle to grab stock mag, etc.).<o:p></o:p>
Also, I cannot lock slide back one-handed with weak hand, so this technique is not bilateral.<o:p></o:p>
Obviously one has to have a gun in order to do any of this, and hopefully some degree of clothing. Guess I could handle racking a slide once or twice on my bare hip in a pinch. The temptation is to mod my holster and belt (or maybe mags) to optimize, but that hurts universality. <o:p></o:p>
Realistically, there is very little likelihood I'll ever do any of this on the street. But that just makes it all the more proportionately likely I'll have to do it with a picked-up weapon or without my EDC rig, so would prefer basically to be able to pick up any handgun naked, in the dark, and do all my drills with it. <o:p></o:p>
At some point there has to be a balance between tools and technique. I would be very interested to hear thoughts on that.<o:p></o:p>
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 19:04   #2
Blaster
Hunc tu caveto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciolist View Post
Racking on belt is 99%, but requires directing muzzle away from threat, and also toward ground, which is not good, especially on pavement.<o:p></o:p>
Why do you perceive this to be a problem?

If you are down to one hand and you have a malfunction you are in deep trouble. You have been injured (how, you decide), your weapon has malfunctioned which means you have used it or attempted to use it. Most likely you still have a need to continue use it. Getting that weapon back into action as fast as humanly possible is priority #1. Better yet draw your backup weapon.

I don't think I would be giving one thought whatsoever about pointing away from the threat or at the ground.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Last edited by Blaster; 08-31-2010 at 19:06..
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 20:37   #3
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Keeping the gun towards the threat is nice, especially at the range, but hardly vital for your survival.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 22:18   #4
Steve in PA

Hook the rear side on the belt, edge of pocket, holster, heel, table, etc. I've done this with both hands, so I can't see how you find this not bilateral?
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 14:17   #5
sciolist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
Hook the rear side on the belt, edge of pocket, holster, heel, table, etc. I've done this with both hands, so I can't see how you find this not bilateral?
I was talking just about locking the slide back, not racking it. Racking alone is no problem with either hand.

Racking with the rear sight on the belt, I can actuate the slide stop with my thumb, but cannot actuate it with the index finger of my left hand.

Clearing a double-feed, if the slide is locked back, there's no need to strip the mag forcibly from the well. Without the slide locked, you have to overcome the jam to get the mag out - which I guess is the crux of my problem. That, and the issue of repeatability vs. keeping muzzle pointed at threat.
Old 09-02-2010, 22:41   #6
Steve in PA

Get away from the idea you have to keep the muzzle pointed at the threat when clearing your weapon. Did someone teach you this or is this something you picked up on your own? Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:30   #7
English

If one hand is disabled and your pistol has a type three malfunction while you are in the open and being shot at, you need to accept that you are most unlikely to clear it before you die. You have two options; run away or charge and use your dysfunctional pistol as a club.

If you are behind a decent barrier and being engaged from a distance you just might have a chance to clear it but the idea of keeping it pointed at the threat just makes it a lot more difficult without gaining anything. If you have to use your left hand, maintain your grip but move your thumb over to the left to activate the slide lock. If your thumb is long enough and you can get the heel of your hand a little behind the backstrap, this will work but so will using your forefinger if you shift your hand a long way round the grip.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:00   #8
DonGlock26

Clearing a double feed jam one handed pretty much means moving the barrel off target. It does drive home the point of having a back-up gun, and the strengths of a revolver. Perhaps, a snubby for a BU gun is perfect for those two reasons. A laser sight grip really adds to the effective range of the weapon-IMHO.

Last edited by DonGlock26; 09-03-2010 at 08:08..
DonGlock26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:57   #9
Ron3

If your having that bad a day you can press the top of the slide against your bare ass or opposite tricep and rack the slide. Yea you might get cut some but so what when someone is trying to kill you.

I practice both. (Okay on my clothed ass not bare ass) It really doesn't matter that much what you rack the slide against or where it's pointed if your finger is off the trigger.

For practice though keep it pointed downward if you can. Practice with an empty shell (stove pipe) and some non-dangerous practice rounds. You can do this at home.

Ron3
Ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20   #10
GunsForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
If one hand is disabled and your pistol has a type three malfunction while you are in the open and being shot at, you need to accept that you are most unlikely to clear it before you die. You have two options; run away or charge and use your dysfunctional pistol as a club.
Option 3 - Go to your back-up gun. Probably faster for most folks, even when using both hands to clear a double-feed.

The only thing I would throw out there is to avoid any technique that is designed to be safe on the range, and look for only techniques that work. You can practice most techniques with dummy rounds in your garage to keep things safe.

I've been to plenty of training classes where bad techniques were taught specifically to conform to range rules about safety. One such technique actually involved the officer turning his/her back to the threat so you could clear a malfunction while keeping the muzzle pointed down range. The lead instructor even said "You wouldn't do this in an actual gunfight, but we have to do this for the range rules." Uh...why are you training people to fail???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GunsForSale.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 21:03   #11
w8tn4u

To remove the magazine one handed, press the mag release then raise your knee and strike your wrist with your knee. the mag will be driven out from the strike. You have one bullet in the gun ready to fire. When I practice two handed double feeds I can put 3 shots on target in less then three seconds.
Old 09-07-2010, 18:56   #12
sciolist

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8tn4u View Post
To remove the magazine one handed, press the mag release then raise your knee and strike your wrist with your knee. the mag will be driven out from the strike. You have one bullet in the gun ready to fire. When I practice two handed double feeds I can put 3 shots on target in less then three seconds.
Wow, thanks. I would not have thought that would work as well as it does. Even with only the mass of one dummy in the mag, it's pretty easy. Would be a piece of cake with a full mag, but can't count on that.
Old 09-10-2010, 22:04   #13
JohnHoliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciolist View Post
Wow, thanks. I would not have thought that would work as well as it does. Even with only the mass of one dummy in the mag, it's pretty easy. Would be a piece of cake with a full mag, but can't count on that.
Yep, it works, it's the way I was taught to clear a failure to egect/double feed with one hand. However, if you practice it a lot, your thigh will start hurting, you have to hit yourself pretty hard to ensure the magazine comes out.