Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:06   #1
jdwatson

Shot Timers for training

You'd be surprised how many times the word "shot" and "timer" are used in Glock Talk and not pertain to shot timers. The search engine needs to enhanced...

Anyway, I've started to research different shot timers for practice and thought getting GlockTalk opinions as well. Here's what I've looked at:

• Club Timer III - PACT Inc.
  • Pocket Pro II - Competition Electronics
  • CED7000 - Competitive Edge Dynamics
  • CED8000 - Competitive Edge Dynamics
Game on. :-)

jdwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 15:27   #2
David Armstrong

I've got a Club Timer and a CED that have both seen quite a bit of use. I'd be happy with either.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 16:19   #3
jdwatson

Thanks Mr. Armstrong. The only thing I don't like about the CED7000 is the built-in battery. Having to return the unit to get a new battery doesn't sit right with me.

Old 07-30-2010, 16:32   #4
David Armstrong

Don't know if you are aware of it, but they make an external battery pack for the CED that runs off of AA batteries. My CED is the Shot Timer 3000 version, so I don't have to mess with the built-in stuff.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 07-30-2010 at 16:35..
Old 07-30-2010, 17:43   #5
jdavionic
NRA Member

I have the Pocket Pro II. It works great for me. We also use one at local matches. Never had any problems with it.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 18:06   #6
PhoneCop
TeleDetective

Pocket Pro II.

PhoneCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 19:50   #7
HK Dan

I run a USPSA cluband an IDPA club. We use Pact CLub Timers in IDPA and CED 7000s in USPSA. Frankly, I'm thrilled with both.

The internal battery didn't impress me with the CED either, but frankly, they've been bullet proof for 2 years now. And, yes, the external battery pack WORKS. I love the programmable features on it--it is truly a fully featured timer. ****, if you can find something that it does that isn't adjustable, I don't know what it might be.

The Pact Club Timer IV--that thing is a tank. I had a bonehead drop mine into an ankle deep puddle--complete immersion. I pulled the battery, let it dry for 3 days, plugged it in and it's fine. It's been dropped, kicked, thrown--and still kickin after 4 years. It's on it's second battery. I shoot A LOT.

Pick your poison, they're great timers. In my experience the Pocket Pro is pretty marginal--I don't like the low tone of the beep, and it's just clunky compared to the other two.

They do have timers that double as chronographs (way more expensive), but not as much as a timer and a chrony together.
Old 07-31-2010, 20:49   #8
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

I have a CED 7000 that has been great.

I had a Pocket Pro II that I used just for dry fire (par time) and after several months tried to use it as a shot timer - It would never "hear" the shot. I called CE and they wanted to charge me to fix it. I gave it away and bought the CED7000. We have several people in using the CE-PPII sucessfully.

If you have an iPhone or a iPod Touch - Surefire and Taurus have free down-loadable applications. I haven't tried the Taurus - but the Surefire timer works great. The "beep" is softer on the iPhone than a dedicated timer - but other than that there is not much of a downside. It even lets you email the time/splits.
Old 08-01-2010, 15:10   #9
jdwatson

Thanks for all the comments. I started to look for a dedicated shot timer because of the iPhone apps are nice, but with my hearing protection I don't really hear the beep. The club I participate in IDPA has Pocket Pro II and some of the SOs use their personal CED7000s. The Club Timer III has been redesigned with a louder buzzer than in previous models. All of them look pretty rugged, CED7000 is definitely has the most features and is the most compact. I'm relatively new to shooting. I appreciate everyone's input and thoughts.

Old 08-01-2010, 20:14   #10
Jeepnik

You know, I see folks using these timers when they "train". Problem is, they seem to pay more attention to the timers little beep than what's going on around them. Funny thing is, in the times I've actually been involved in shooting at someone, I never once heard a little beep that told me when to start shooting. It was mostly, OH SHOOT (or some other appropriate expletive), followed by rapidly emptying the weapon in "hopefully" the right direction.

In other words, work on smooth movement (which will go all to heck and be jerky as all get out when you do it for real) and shot placement (which will probably also go to heck), and let any speed come with familiarity of the motions involved.

Last edited by Jeepnik; 08-01-2010 at 20:15..
Jeepnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 00:04   #11
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnik View Post
You know, I see folks using these timers when they "train". Problem is, they seem to pay more attention to the timers little beep than what's going on around them. Funny thing is, in the times I've actually been involved in shooting at someone, I never once heard a little beep that told me when to start shooting. It was mostly, OH SHOOT (or some other appropriate expletive), followed by rapidly emptying the weapon in "hopefully" the right direction.

In other words, work on smooth movement (which will go all to heck and be jerky as all get out when you do it for real) and shot placement (which will probably also go to heck), and let any speed come with familiarity of the motions involved.
I agree, but the timer is a good tool to evaluate progress. You can "feel" pretty fast, but the timer never lies. I don't train w/ one persay, but do use a Pact from time to time to see if my shot times are slowing, presentation to first shot is acceptable, etc.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:09   #12
jdwatson

Jeepnik, good point. I'm still working on proper trigger control and recoil anticipation. Scores on the targets and time on a timer seems to be a decent way to mark one's progress. I don't trust my feel and intuition on training, so I like to quantify my results. I did the same thing when learning to play golf. Kept stats on myself so I could work on the pieces of my game that was the weakest.

Glad to see you survived your encounter, otherwise I wouldn't be able to learn from you. BTW, we have a '98 Wrangler. :-)

Old 08-02-2010, 09:47   #13
David Armstrong

Quote:
Funny thing is, in the times I've actually been involved in shooting at someone, I never once heard a little beep that told me when to start shooting.
But if there was not a little beep I bet there was some other stimulus that gave you the indicator that it was time to start engaging targets. That is the purpose of the beep. It is pretty hard to justify starting a training sequence by having someone shoot at you. Besides, it is a timer, so one needs some way to know when the time starts.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:18   #14
Deaf Smith

Actually gang you can use a timer and a blank firing gun as the 'go' signal.

Just turn the timer on (like my PACT timer) and once it gets past the 'beep' have someone fire the blank gun to record the first shot fired on the timer and it becomes the go signal.

Then use scroll back to the first shot and use it as the base point to figuring out your time.

Another way is to get a mouse trap (or larger rat trap) and see if that sets off the timer by precussion.

Then have an electrical circut using a battery connect to the trap and a light bulb. When the trap is sprung and acts as a precussion 'shot' to trip the timer it also lights the bulb and you see the light and that is the stimulus.

Or get an electro-magnet and a fake arm that has metal in it. The rat trap connects to a battery and the electromagnet. When the trap is sprung it sets off the timer AND drops the arm in any fashon you want, to act as a signal.

Think out of the box guys, there are many ways to get a timer to make an audio or visual input for the shooter to know when to go.

Deaf
Old 08-02-2010, 18:35   #15
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
CED 7000 and it has an external trigger output to beep an extra loud BEEP (you must build from an external battery and sounder) for those that served in Artilliary in the last wars.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote