SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-17-2012, 13:03   #151
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloLee View Post
Got off work last night around 9:30, picked my buddy up, headed off the local WAWA.

Noticed 3 county police vehicles parked in the rear (almost shift-change time), as well as a packed lot.

I was OC'ing my G17 as normal, and my buddy was OC'ing his brand new FNP-45.

Walked inside, saw 5-6 LEOs having some coffee, got hard stares from each, along with most of the other patrons. Had a few people quickly move away as we stood waiting for our food, but no comments or complaints (that we heard, anyway).

Got our food, headed back out to the car.......LEOs were right behind. We sat there and ate, they stood around a drank their coffee. We eventually left without incedent.
In Virginia? I don't like hearing about this happening. Not common in our state.
Old 03-17-2012, 13:55   #152
KiloLee
Glock 17-RTF2

Send a message via AIM to KiloLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
What the heck is "the local WAWA"?
Wawa is a pretty awesome 1-stop-shop gas station/market. I think it might be mid/north-Atlantic only though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
In Virginia? I don't like hearing about this happening. Not common in our state.
What?

...But complain about them doing their jobs when they ARE around?
KiloLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 23:03   #153
Oso

I've been seeing a lot of Michigan posts by xmanhockey7 and figured I should also chime in on positive Michigan OCing. I occasionally open carry when the mood strikes. Today I OC'd my Gen4 G17 in a Serpa CQC holster at Walmart and the gas station today. Nobody screamed and I was not detained. Heck, I don't think anybody even noticed. I will try to post my future experiences here, also. I've enjoyed reading everyone else's stories.

Last edited by Oso; 03-19-2012 at 00:34..
Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10   #154
RussP

Quote:
Got off work last night around 9:30, picked my buddy up, headed off the local WAWA.

Noticed 3 county police vehicles parked in the rear (almost shift-change time), as well as a packed lot.

Walked inside, saw 5-6 LEOs having some coffee, got hard stares from each, along with most of the other patrons. Had a few people quickly move away as we stood waiting for our food, but no comments or complaints (that we heard, anyway).

Got our food, headed back out to the car.......LEOs were right behind. We sat there and ate, they stood around a drank their coffee. We eventually left without incedent.
Quote:
Quote:
What?
SouthernBoyVA, I believe you misinterpreted KiloLee's experience. It was a none event. There were some reactions by other customers, but no interactions with anyone.

KiloLee, was this at the WaWa next to Red Lobster on West Broad?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:25   #155
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:

Law enforcement motto: Be courteous, be professional, have a plan to kill everyone you meet (especially people carrying weapons).

When they looked at you, they were just formulating their plan.

Last edited by series1811; 03-19-2012 at 05:26..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10   #156
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Wawa is a pretty awesome 1-stop-shop gas station/market. I think it might be mid/north-Atlantic only though.

What?
Quote:
This is the part I raised an issue about. Not necessarily the LEO's but more for the patrons.... but also the LEO's. This is quite unusual in my part of the state and I am about 35 miles from DC. I wasn't blasting anyone, just commenting that this is something I don't like to see in our state. In other words, I was surprised.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 03-19-2012 at 06:11..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 21:49   #157
KiloLee
Glock 17-RTF2

Send a message via AIM to KiloLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
KiloLee, was this at the WaWa next to Red Lobster on West Broad?
Nope, the one on Airport Dr. in Sandston, near my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Law enforcement motto: Be courteous, be professional, have a plan to kill everyone you meet (especially people carrying weapons).

Quote:
This is the part I raised an issue about. Not necessarily the LEO's but more for the patrons.... but also the LEO's. This is quite unusual in my part of the state and I am about 35 miles from DC. I wasn't blasting anyone, just commenting that this is something I don't like to see in our state. In other words, I was surprised.
Indeed. I don't like to have people staring and such, but nothing I can do really. I will say, I don't see people OC'ing often enough around here, so I don't think many people even think about the idea of people having guns, and when they see it, they get super nervous.

I did happen to walk into a gas station on Broad/18th the other day, had the attendant , looked nervous the entire time, though she was behind a thick pane of glass. Walked outside to my car, had a random guy start to approach me, saw my G17, then promptly turned away and left

Also: Applied for my CHP about 2 1/2 weeks ago

...But complain about them doing their jobs when they ARE around?

Last edited by KiloLee; 03-24-2012 at 21:51..
KiloLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:17   #158
C.Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post

Totaly agree with this

Corey
Old 05-17-2012, 11:06   #159
bighand

I'm curious as to the thinking of OC vs concealed. (n00b here at the whole OWC idea)

Not trying to start an argument,but why would you OC if you're licensed/allowed to conceal? Did I miss the line of reasoning for it?
bighand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:30   #160
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighand View Post
I'm curious as to the thinking of OC vs concealed. (n00b here at the whole OWC idea)

Not trying to start an argument,but why would you OC if you're licensed/allowed to conceal? Did I miss the line of reasoning for it?
bighand, welcome...

This thread is not for that discussion.

First, go to this thread and Post #5. There are several thread links there on the topic.

If you can't find enough info there, go to the main Carry Issues forum and start a thread.

RussP

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 05-17-2012 at 11:30..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 17:17   #161
bighand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
bighand, welcome...

This thread is not for that discussion.

First, go to this thread and Post #5. There are several thread links there on the topic.

If you can't find enough info there, go to the main Carry Issues forum and start a thread.

RussP

oops..
thx for the redirect... :thumb
bighand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 15:14   #162
BallGroundGLOCK

Ga

I'm new to the forum and new to concealed carry as well. I received my carry license in the state of Georgia about 3 months ago. I open carry my Glock 23 every where I go except while I'm working and while I'm in church. I've yet to have any type of confrontation. My holster is a bagmaster that can be used IWB, but I just can't make it work because my I haven't purchased any new pants or shorts in the past 3 months that are 2 sizes larger. I also have a bagmaster suede IWB holster thats very thin and doesn't add any bulk to the gun but it's just very uncomfortable due to the way my pants fit. I'm 6'3 215, not lean but not fat. I would love to conceal carry more often if only my wife would take me shopping!
BallGroundGLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 14:47   #163
SCmasterblaster

A couple of years ago I went into a New London, NH grocer and I saw a man OCing an old S&W Model 28 four-inch .357 magnum. We had a cordial conversation - me a 53-year-old with a 2nd Gen Glock 17 and an OC gentleman, age 30-something, carrying a gun made before he was born. It was a day to remember,
Old 09-05-2012, 10:05   #164
Gen4 Fan

I agree on that one. I'm 63 and have seen someone open carry one time. It was a few weeks ago and it was guy with gold badge next to his holster in line at McDonalds.
Gen4 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 21:48   #165
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
Unless there is a reason to believe a crime has been committed, yes, he should be left alone.
So. . We went to the Classic car Rod Run on the Long Beach Peninsula (WA State) this past weekend. Saw hundreds and hundreds of classic cars in the show, and hundreds more out on the streets. When I say hundreds, we are talking 800+ cars in just the show!

The day started out cool, but by lunch time, was warming up. We were standing in line at the teriyaki chicken booth waiting in a VERY long line to order, when the guy in front of us took off his jacket. Ends up he was carrying a full sized S&W semi-auto pistol in a IWB holster.

Carry IssuesCarry Issues

The holster was especially nice so when the opportunity arose I asked him about his it. Ends up it was a Ted Blocker holster (Tigard Oregon) that he was very happy with. I was carrying my S&W 442 in my front pocket BTW.

After we got our food we sat down at one of the picnic tables, and he and his family sat down at a table near use. Over the next 20 minutes or so, hundreds of people walked by. I’m guessing that most of them never even noticed the “man with a gun” sitting there. A few people gave a second glance, but:

- No one pointed and screamed “GUN!!!”
- No one whipped out their phone a dialed 911
- No one fainted in shock and terror
- No police officers detained him to ask him why he was carrying
- No SWAT team came charging in with MP5s drawn
- No news team showed up to cover the “man with a gun” story

Pretty darn boring actually!

The very next day we were heading home from the coast and decided to stop at the McDonalds in Woodland for a bathroom break and some large sugary drinks (Don’t tell Bloomberg).

Walked in the door and there was another guy standing there, waiting to order, with a full size SIG in a holster. Once again, no one cared in the least.

No crime was being committed hence no one cared. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 09-14-2012 at 21:48..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:55   #166
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
So. . We went to the Classic car Rod Run on the Long Beach Peninsula (WA State) this past weekend. Saw hundreds and hundreds of classic cars in the show, and hundreds more out on the streets. When I say hundreds, we are talking 800+ cars in just the show!

The day started out cool, but by lunch time, was warming up. We were standing in line at the teriyaki chicken booth waiting in a VERY long line to order, when the guy in front of us took off his jacket. Ends up he was carrying a full sized S&W semi-auto pistol in a IWB holster.

Carry IssuesCarry Issues

The holster was especially nice so when the opportunity arose I asked him about his it. Ends up it was a Ted Blocker holster (Tigard Oregon) that he was very happy with. I was carrying my S&W 442 in my front pocket BTW.

After we got our food we sat down at one of the picnic tables, and he and his family sat down at a table near use. Over the next 20 minutes or so, hundreds of people walked by. I’m guessing that most of them never even noticed the “man with a gun” sitting there. A few people gave a second glance, but:

- No one pointed and screamed “GUN!!!”
- No one whipped out their phone a dialed 911
- No one fainted in shock and terror
- No police officers detained him to ask him why he was carrying
- No SWAT team came charging in with MP5s drawn
- No news team showed up to cover the “man with a gun” story

Pretty darn boring actually!

The very next day we were heading home from the coast and decided to stop at the McDonalds in Woodland for a bathroom break and some large sugary drinks (Don’t tell Bloomberg).

Walked in the door and there was another guy standing there, waiting to order, with a full size SIG in a holster. Once again, no one cared in the least.

No crime was being committed hence no one cared. . .
Go figure! Good story. I've been OCing around parts of northern Indiana all summer and have no issues. One or two comments but people here seem to know it's legal and could care less.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:25   #167
shogun1975

I live in Indiana. Columbus in fact. I have cc'd and oc'd. I have found that no one seems to care. I have seen so many open carries. Hell, I was as Wally World checking out and looked up at the little in store bank and saw a guy standing in line with a full frame 1911 in a sob holster. No one seemed to care. In my area it seems like the guy looks nervous that he has a gun is the one people worry about. Maybe that is the way it should be. My friends all have their personal protection permits. Some open carry and some conceal. Personally I find the guy that walks around with the drop leg thigh holster looks a bit like a ****** bag... but that is just my opinion. So just follow the rules of your area do as the Romans do. If everyone around is open carrying than that would be the norm. If you don't see any handguns... well, concealed is probably the way to go.
shogun1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:55   #168
SCmasterblaster

I OC in NH

right across the border from VT, and the only thing ever said about my holstered G17 was compliments.
Old 11-21-2012, 20:47   #169
xmanhockey7

OC'd in many places lately. Best Buy, barber shop (2), Steak n' Shake (2), and Gander Mountain. No issues anywhere. Employee at Best Buy asked if what I was doing was legal and I told him yes. He said okay and didn't have anyone else approach me other than that. Well I guess one employee at Best Buy asked if I had any questions about the phone cases I was looking at but I don't think that had to do with the Glock on my hip.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:53   #170
SouthernBoyVA

Last week, I OC'd into my bank to get walk around cash for the second half of the month. There were two men to my right and one said, with big smile, "This may not be the best place to carry like that" to which I replied, "It's perfectly legal". Nothing more was said, all was in good natured discourse, and I completed my transaction and left.

I have mentioned before but just for the record, most of the time I open carry and I do so because I have a history of osteoarthritis in both of my knees. I can no longer run or fight as I was once capable of doing. Now seven weeks ago, I did have a total knee replacement with my right knee but that doesn't mean I am ready to deliver strong and effective side kicks or roundhouse kicks. Ain't gonna happen. I am at a physical disadvantage and I know it. So my displayed sidearm helps to dissuade potential attempts to get at me. At least, that is the way I see it.

I have OC'd at so many places in my general and immediate area over the past 5 1/2 years. I have only had one issue in all of that time and that was with a customer at a local McDonald's who claimed he was a retired LEO. Judging from his accent, he was not from Virginia... most likely from somewhere up in the northeast. All other comments have revolved around curiosity, information requests, or just gun talk. Like yesterday at a local grocery store. A man and wife team and the man engaged me in conversation for maybe ten minutes (he carries a gen2 G19 when he goes armed). I just never have any problems doing this and I have carried in areas that some folks are certain would be off limits because of their being close to DC (the inside the beltway mentality).

I've been next to police (as in up close and personal), in police precinct stations with other carriers, approached police squad cars to ask questions, been next to our town mayor, passed by our county sheriff in a major grocery store, all while visibly armed. Never a problem doing any of this. It's just not an issue here.
Old 12-10-2012, 16:13   #171
Kruegz92

Here in the lovely state of Colorado, you can OC (without a permit) from the age of 18. When your 21, you can obtain a license to conceal. As I'm not yet 21, that limits my form of carry to open. Originally, it was a challenge to even walk through Wally World without my heart trumping 180bpm and getting bad tunnle vision. Though, over time, it became much eaisier and I quickly realized that when I was comfortable open carrying, people were comfortable with me. Now, most people don't even notice I'm carrying and when they do, they simply don't care.

I've had plenty of positive interactions and many great opportunities to show people that guns aren't evil. My friends all say I'm way too nice to carry a firearm. Dont get me wrong, I can be aggressive as needed. Though, generally, I enjoy interacting with people and hold a genuine smile. I've been asked by dozens of people if I'm a cop (even while wearing plaid) and had a few stop to shake my hand and thank me for my service.

There are the occasional nuts that grab their kids and walk quickly away. Though, I've also had a mother approach me at a fast-food joint, asking if I would be willing to educate the group of curious 5-8 year old boys in her care. I love those moments.

Last edited by Kruegz92; 12-10-2012 at 16:15.. Reason: grammar
Kruegz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38   #172
RickBayles
Rick

Open carry ?

I am ex LEO I have a CCW and do , here in Idaho it is also legal to open carry without a CCW I have several people in the open carry mode over the years and I am glad to see they are taking advantage of their right to do so .
My only question is do they realize that they could be making a target of themselves I.E. If I was some type of sic fool that was going to go into a mall, super market, movie theater ect. and take out as many people as I could first I would take a walk and look for obvious LEOs, people in open carry mode ( sheep dogs ) an obvious threats to my sic plans and they would be my first targets then I would head for the sheep.
And no I would never do anything like that but is just something for those who open carry keep in their memory banks and always be aware of their suroundings.
Remember in GOD we trust Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them.
RickBayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:12   #173
tejasharley

Quote:
Originally Posted by packsaddle View Post
I live in Texas and open carried for a little while yesterday, mainly from the kitchen to the living room.

I did receive one disapproving stare from a woman sitting on the couch, but I just ignored her (until she called me into the dining room for supper).
HB700 has been filed in Texas for Open Carry, I hope it passes this time. I have contacted my reps over and over to support it. I will conceal most of the time anyway, I just want to freedom to not have to worry if my concealed gets exposed.
tejasharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:46   #174
jdpst20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfieldninja View Post
so many of you live in a more gun friendly area. im in PA and the few times i open carry people are weird! i just started telling people that im off duty when i see them staring at my hip. that seems to comfort them but still its an odd thing over all. thats why i mostly carry my .38 snubby CCW, although i feel more at-ease with my g22. i guess its just a different wourld around here.
Yeah I hear ya! I feel like here in PA, Pittsburgh where I live, If I open carried people would see some young looking guy and just freak out. I'll prob just keep in tucked away. Good stuff in this thread though! Cool to hear peoples stories.
jdpst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:33   #175
casualoffender
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgun1 View Post
I have only had my Sig 226 for about 1 1/2 months now and I live in southern California. We all know that California is probably one of the least gun friendly states of them all. I have been "easing" into OCing and haven't really gone too far from my house. California restricts OCing to at least 1000' from any K-12 school and there are tons around where I live. If I pass through a school zone, the gun must be in a locked box or the trunk of a car. California makes it as difficult as possible to OC. I would apply for my CCW, but that is nearly impossible to get unless you have a threat against your life or you have some other extenuating circumstance.
You're a lot braver than I am. I lived in San Diego for the first 45 years of my life; I'm not sure the local LEOs would be too thrilled with OC.
casualoffender is offline   Reply With Quote