Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:59   #1
The Viking

Extended Magazine release

Does anyone use the extended mag release on their Gen 3 EDC's? If so, have you experienced any problems with it?
The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 16:42   #2
Deaf Smith

I never ever use an extended mag release on ANY carry gun. Nor extended slide stop.

The mag MUST stay in the gun when you drive, walk, sit, run, jog, fall down, etc... so game stuff should be shunned. Would be real embarrassing to draw your gun and the mag drops on the ground.

Deaf
Old 10-14-2014, 18:58   #3
Gpruitt54

I might agree with maybe not using an extended mag release on a Glock. But the extended slide stop on a Glock is so small and so functional that it can hardly be a problem at all.

But the question is about extended mag release. There may likely be an issue with the Gen 3 extended mag release. It sticks out kind of a lot and may get hit accidentally to drop your mag when you don't want it to drop. I bought an extended mag release, installed it, and found it to be a problem for the reasons listed above. However, if the Glock is going to be used as a competition gun, then heck yeah, put that extended release on the gun.But, maybe not on a carry gun.

Practice using the stock release. On a new Glock the release may seem really stiff.
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 19:02   #4
jdavionic
NRA Member

I tried it on a different carry gun - XDSC. I will often shoot USPSA matches with my carry guns. I struggled doing a quick mag release on that gun. I put an extended mag release...suddenly I was inadvertently dropping mags. This mag release was metal. I turned it down a bit and finally found the right length. Point of all that...you have to be careful with such a mod. It seemed all good. Shot standing in a range and fine. Shot a match under a time stress and started incurring problems.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:45   #5
SouthernBoyVA

I tried one on a gen3 G23 some years ago. I filed down the top of it some to get a smooth feel and to get it closer to the grip. Then one day after carrying this gun in a leather holster I noticed when I removed it after arriving home, the magazine was not secured in its well. Off with the extended mag catch and back on with the OEM factory unit.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 10-15-2014 at 21:12..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:21   #6
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
Off with the extended mag catch and back on with the OEM factory unit.
Wise move.

Depend on the ammo in the gun. That's primary importance. That and your shooting skills with the gun.

Mag swaps are of secondary inportance.

Deaf
Old 10-15-2014, 17:18   #7
brob2425

I put an extended mag release my my carry gen 3 G23 when I got it because I had trouble releasing mags without altering my grip. Ive had it on for 3 years now and I have never released a mag unintentionally. Use what works for you.

Last edited by brob2425; 10-15-2014 at 17:20..
brob2425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 19:47   #8
allegro

Extended release on my G23(3) for over a decade of carry. No problems or issues.

I did round the corners off to avoid catching on clothing, but nothing major.

Good luck

G23(3) Carry, G19(4), Advantage Arms .22 Conversion, Ruger P89, Ruger Security Six .357, M&P 15, Ithica Model 37, Winchester Model 24, Ruger 10/22
allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 21:13   #9
SouthernBoyVA

Of course with the gen4's, this is no longer a concern... at least for me. I do not have to rotate the gun in my hand 10+ degrees to activate the magazine catch. I can do this with the gun continuing to point straight ahead.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:45   #10
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro View Post
Extended release on my G23(3) for over a decade of carry. No problems or issues.

I did round the corners off to avoid catching on clothing, but nothing major.

Good luck
Same here.