unsuperman

reloads and stock glock 26 problem

gun is a bone stock glock 26.

reload specs
mixed once fired brass
cci small rifle primers
hornady xtp/hp 115gr
5.0 gr's of titegroup.

if it matters i can get OAL of the round. brass was trimmed accordingly.

i am aware that 5.0 grains of titegroup is over any published max. the round fires fine in my stock full sized g17.

but firing the first round out of my G26 i noted something. near the case mouth, it appears that the case was dragged across the ground. like there is a small mark about a 1/8-1/4inch long starting at the case mouth.

what might cause this?

my first guess was, since this is a very hot load, and the recoil spring is stock, the slide is light weight, that the recoil is causing the slide to come back at an accelerated rate, clipping the case.

ill try and get pictures later. but does this sound like the problem, or has anyone seen this before..
unsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 17:07   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

You trim handgun brass? Is this match ammo or something?

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 07-06-2010 at 17:07..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 17:17   #3
Colorado4Wheel

Is it a black burn mark? Thats just typical TG burn.

More importantly, why in the earth would you load over max with TG. Pet some Power Pistol if you like more push/flash/manly stuff.
Old 07-06-2010, 17:19   #4
CitizenOfDreams

Does it look like this?

Reloading
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 17:57   #5
unclebob

Please do not take this in the wrong way. I well take your word that your load is over max. Your using rifle primers that may increase pressure. You trimmed the brass so now you have even less case capacity increase pressure. Just because this round works in your G17 and show now signs of over pressure does not mean that it well work in another gun, even thought it is a Glock.
Why you would even want too load rounds that hot, beats me.
GSSF Life Member
Old 07-06-2010, 18:26   #6
Hydraulicman

Send a message via AIM to Hydraulicman
I can't help you if you can't follow the published load data
Old 07-06-2010, 18:38   #7
n2extrm

A picture would help. As others have said you have several issues. I have never had to trim a pistol case in my life. I wouls not push the limits of titegroup. I have used it in my 9mm and .45 loads and never gotten to max. 9mm was 4.2 grains under a 115 grain FMJ or JHP. It was a good solid load. Using a rifle primer is only going to add another possible pressure increase and titegroup is a very fast spikey powder. It is common to have scorch marks like steve said. Your OAL is also going to have a huge impact on pressure, especialy considering the fact you are over max and using a rifle primer. I would scrap this whole load and star over more towards 4.0 grains and the max OAl that will run.
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 18:47   #8
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

The fascination with max loads is analogous to falling in love with a hooker... it's fun until it all blows up in your face.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 19:25   #9
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsuperman View Post
gun is a bone stock glock 26.

reload specs
mixed once fired brass
cci small rifle primers
hornady xtp/hp 115gr
5.0 gr's of titegroup.

if it matters i can get OAL of the round. brass was trimmed accordingly.

i am aware that 5.0 grains of titegroup is over any published max.
the round fires fine in my stock full sized g17.

Above max load.... rifle primers.... unaware of the significance of OAL in reloads.... and he knows of it all....
recipe for disaster, please make sure you shoot at a range where an innocent bystander won't get injured.

This ain't good... and this is speaking from a Titegroup whore.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 07-06-2010 at 20:38..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 19:37   #10
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
The fascination with max loads is analogous to falling in love with a hooker... it's fun until it all blows up in your face.

Jack

I can allways count on you to brighten the day!
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 19:45   #11
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Holy Smokes Batman!!!

Dude listen to these guys. Their trying to save your *****.
Old 07-06-2010, 21:24   #12
unsuperman

sorry, i dont know why i typed rifle. they are small pistol primers. cci 500's.

and i worked up too 5.0 grains of titegroup slowly.

i didn't post OAL because im not home, and dont have access to the ammo, so i couldnt measure it, or remember it off the top of my head.

Reloading

yes it looks just like that.
Old 07-06-2010, 21:26   #13
unsuperman

also most of the brass isnt trimmed. but i check randomly every 5th ish case to make sure its under max. im still learning, so i still check. im aware very little handgun brass needs trimming, but i check all the same. to be safe.

also, the brass shows no signs of over pressure. the primers are not flattened, and the case shows no bulges near the rim or base. its not even getting a "glock" smilie out of my g17.

Last edited by unsuperman; 07-06-2010 at 21:28..
Old 07-06-2010, 21:33   #14
unsuperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Above max load.... rifle primers.... unaware of the significance of OAL in reloads.... and he knows of it all....
recipe for disaster, please make sure you shoot at a range where an innocent bystander won't get injured.

This ain't good... and this is speaking from a Titegroup whore.

feel better? please point me in the direction where anyone shows a load fro a manufacture over 4.6 grains of titegroup? i never assumed i knew it all. i just know i've researched PLENTY and never seen anything listed over that number. i do however belong to forums where people attempting to create major loads, and to move long slide weapons will typically put more then 6grains of titegroup under a 115gr slug, with no ill effects. perhaps if you spent less time being an internet badass, and more time helping me, id learn something useful from you.
Old 07-06-2010, 23:43   #15
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
feel better? please point me in the direction where anyone shows a load fro a manufacture over 4.6 grains of titegroup? i never assumed i knew it all. i just know i've researched PLENTY and never seen anything listed over that number. i do however belong to forums where people attempting to create major loads, and to move long slide weapons will typically put more then 6grains of titegroup under a 115gr slug, with no ill effects. perhaps if you spent less time being an internet badass, and more time helping me, id learn something useful from you.
No offense OP. The writing's of your original post, didn't give one the warm and fuzzy feeling of you had the knowledge to be experimenting to the level you are. I'm well aware that competition re-loaders take 9mm up to major but I know relatively recently I have personally search for TG loads in Major but found it to be non-existent. The powder is to fast. The motioning that you didn't feel any significance in OAL was also a red light. Any well researched re-loader knows that OAL can make significant effects on pressure and velocities combine that with a udder fast powder and you have the makings for as others have said disaster. If you want to go +p I would suggest another powder. I personally have worked up son NATO velocity 124g FMJ stuff with Power Pistol, I used know once fired all speer brass and CCI primers.
May I ask exactly what your purpose for developing such a load would be for?
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:06   #16
unsuperman

Quote:
No offense OP. The writing's of your original post, didn't give one the warm and fuzzy feeling of you had the knowledge to be experimenting to the level you are. I'm well aware that competition re-loaders take 9mm up to major but I know relatively recently I have personally search for TG loads in Major but found it to be non-existent. The powder is to fast. The motioning that you didn't feel any significance in OAL was also a red light. Any well researched re-loader knows that OAL can make significant effects on pressure and velocities combine that with a udder fast powder and you have the makings for as others have said disaster. If you want to go +p I would suggest another powder. I personally have worked up son NATO velocity 124g FMJ stuff with Power Pistol, I used know once fired all speer brass and CCI primers.

the OAL was just an over site as i couldn't readily get to it when i posted. there is no real point of the load per-say. more so just seeing how fast/accurately i can push the 9mm 115gr bullet safely. aside from that, i have no use for it. my 10mm g20 fills my SD/HD needs. the 17 and 26 are retired to the safe for range use only.

unfortunately power pistol isn't readily available near me. its an AMAZING 10mm powder, and i really want to give it a shot. but TG is the best pistol powder in a low volume charge, i can get locally. Since i dont buy in large amounts, i cant justify the HAZMAT fee's for ordering online.

i appreciate any help that can be given, but generally speaking, i tend NOT to post here on GT, because the "seasoned" members tend to think they know it all, and will reflect on you, based on your post count, accordingly.

with that being said, my brass does match the pictured brass. if that helps. the OAL is 1.085

5.0 grains of TG
CCI small PISTOL primers
mixed brass once fired
115gr xtpHP
Old 07-07-2010, 02:29   #17
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
yes it looks just like that.
Then stop worrying. Those marks are common for Glocks, even with weaker factory ammo.
The above photo is what every single piece of brass out of my G26 looked like. My G19 leaves the same dents too, although not as deep.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:37   #18
mboylan

Quote:
+1 Overspec loads should be Power Pistol or even Longshot.
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:42   #19
jbrown13

Quote:
please point me in the direction where anyone shows a load fro a manufacture over 4.6 grains of titegroup?
FWIW, the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center lists a max load of 4.8 grains of Titegroup with a 115 grain Speer GDHP at 1.125" OAL. They show 1158 fps and 30,500 CUP at that loading.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:44   #20
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
You trim handgun brass? Is this match ammo or something?

IGF

Don H is offline   Reply With Quote