SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-10-2010, 21:27   #1
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

Training Injuries

My buddy and I went to the range today. We've grown up around guns, but have only become owners recently. Neither of us are experts or superbly talented. We're young responsible guys who want to learn more and become better shooters.
I have a little more experience with rifles than my buddy. Most of his experience is on a .22, so he was interested in shooting my .308. Just as a heads up, I warned him that it kicked about as much as a shotgun. I gave it to him loaded and chambered, safety on. He sat down, lined up his shot and got ready to fire.
I wasn't paying attention as I walked to the next table to fire my G19. As I'm firing my G19 I hear the boom of the .308. Working my way through my magazine, I hear my buddy call out to me "Am I bleeding?"
I turn, slightly puzzled, to see a partially bloody ring around my buddy's eye. As I said, most of his rifle, and scope experience, is with a .22. When he squeezed the trigger, his eye had only been half an inch from the scope, like he was accustomed to with his previous .22 experience. Obviously, the kick had brought the scope back into his forehead, right above his nose. There was a bloody gash, to the bone, in the shape of a portion of my scope, right on his forehead. At first, we didn't know how deep it was, but we soon realized.
So, what did we do? The rangemaster had some iodine and bandaids in his truck. We cleaned it up, put on a bandaid, and went back to shooting for another hour. The bleeding stopped after awhile, and he just went home and took some aspirin for the pain. We've had a big laugh about it. Said it'll get him extra attention from the ladies at church tomorrow. Said the headache is worse than the gash. Said the scar will just be a funny story later, and a reminder of what not to do the next time we go shoot.

So any other training injuries stories? Good, bad, ugly? Whatever...
Old 07-11-2010, 23:26   #2
Guntrainer

Good old Scope Eye.

I have been injured training unarmed Confrontational Management, but have not had an injury caused by a firearm, other than blisters from firing lots of rounds over a couple of days.
Guntrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 23:30   #3
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

I have a friend who shot himself in the calf with a 9mm FMJ during a formal training class.

Although he was warned about trigger finger awareness before, he is much more aware now.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:38   #4
AZBru88

Just received a new Glock branding on my belly the other day! About the size of a half dollar! We where practicing fire drills, draw, fire 6, reload, fire 6, reload fire 6. Holster and start again. I did notice a warm feeling, it never felt hot. When I got home, showered and noticed the big branding(3rd degree burn)! Had to clean the burnt skin off the end of my G17!
Scope eye, more then once out of my 300 Weatherby.
Jackets from bullets in the arm and leg, from metal targets, and a horseshoe shaped firing line (left that shoot in a hurry!). Don't shoot at that guys shoots anymore! He was a range officer and LEO! Nobodies perfect, but I like it safe when I shoot.
The worst was a good buddy cleaning a S&W 9mm while watching TV (Big Mistake). He left the loaded mag in, pulled the slide off and BOOM, bullet right down his arm, just passed the wrist to the elbow! Exited, hit the sofa, wall and ended up in a speaker. At least he was a firefighter and knew first aid. Free trip to the hospital from his buddies was probably more painful then the bullet wound! I have to say this guy was a very safe guy to shoot with, just wasn't paying attention and made one HUGE mistake!
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 17:11   #5
Deaf Smith

Gunwise no training injuries. But in the martial arts, oh yea, I've had plenty.

But most were not accidents in the sense someone was forgetful. Most of 'em happend with the knowledge there was a chance of getting hurt and one zigged when they should have zagged.

Deaf