SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-26-2010, 13:27   #1
Greg W

Moly Coated Bullets Safe in Glock?

Hi,

I have been shooting reloads for my 45's and was thinking of picking up a G30. Are the Moly coated bullets safe in Glocks?

Thanks,
Greg
357 #6761
Big Dawg #1088
CCW Instructor
Greg W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 16:32   #2
Colorado4Wheel

It depends if they happen to lead in your barrel. So it just depends. Only way to know for sure is to try them.
Old 06-26-2010, 23:35   #3
Greg W

I will. Just found a beater first year of issue G30 that someone butchered the ejector port on. It functions just fine, the guy just lowered the cut on it and painted it black. Other than finish wear that is only cosmetic damage to the slide. It works. I will offer him a couple of hundred for it. I will be shooting Bear Creek Supply 230 Gr, Moly coated on 4.8 of Bullseye. They have always made quality bullets so we will see how it performs.
357 #6761
Big Dawg #1088
CCW Instructor
Old 06-27-2010, 04:10   #4
dudel

Safe depends on how you load them. Two problems with them: 1) Some folks have found the a pain to clean. I mean a real pain. 2) (and this was a surprise) Lyman says they will be about 100fps SLOWER for the same load. This could be an issue if you are trying to hit a certain PF.

I've never seen what the allure is to moly projectiles. Want cheap projectiles, try plated (Rainier or Berrys). Want cheaper, get an LW barrel and shoot lead.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 17:21   #5
Greg W

Just put 100 of the Moly coated 230 RN out of my newly acquired beater G30. Make this Glock number 13. What I always love about Glocks is they all shoot the same. This one was no exception. Totally reliable but throws brass everywhere. The guy who filed down the ejector port probably caused more harm than good though the brass comes out less beat up out of this G30 so maybe not. The main thing is that she goes bang on every trigger pull!

Oh yeah, my last five were JHP to help clean it out. Clean up was not to bad.
357 #6761
Big Dawg #1088
CCW Instructor
Old 06-27-2010, 17:31   #6
Colorado4Wheel

If they are leading in 100rds then thats a failure in my book.
Old 06-27-2010, 19:00   #7
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
Oh yeah, my last five were JHP to help clean it out. Clean up was not to bad.
Old wife's tale. Do a search. Bad idea to follow lead with jacketed.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:55   #8
coachg

I find them to be cost effective in the higher calibers. I like Bear Creek Supply for 45 and 40. I shoot lots of 155 and 180 gr 40's out of my stock Glock barrel without any leading or unusual cleanup problems. The recommend slower powders to prevent fouling or smoking. Power Pistol works great for me. Last time I ordered, the 155's were $64/1000 and the 180's were $70 shipped. I use the 45s for my 1911 so lead is not the issue. I think they are around $77/1000 shipped which is similar to other lead suppliers.

Delivery usually take 4-5 days.

I'd give them a try before buying a new barrell.
coachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 13:42   #9
dsmw5142
NRA Member

I have great results with Moly bullets in my Glock barrels. I have fired several hundred .45 230gr at a time and as many as a thousand 9mm 130/147gr at a time before cleaning without any problems.

I get a bit of leading with my .40 major loads in my G35 after a few hundred rounds. But, it's nothing very serious at all. I just make certain I clean it well after every match. This is what I use...

https://blackbulletsinternational.com/Home_Page.html

Rudy Project USA IDPA squad
dsmw5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 18:12   #10
sig2009

It depends on how often you like to clean your barrel. From people I know who have used moly it is a bear to clean.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:21   #11
john58
BHO is a LIAR!

Send a message via ICQ to john58
I've been using a 50/50 mix of vinegar & hydrogen peroxide and let it soak for about 1/2hr. This works great on a SS barrel but I would not suggest anyone do it on any others. This will take the parkerize (sp?) on a glock barrel. I use a brass bore brush then rinse with water,last run some hoppe #9 for good measure. I know this is a lot to do & I only do it every other time I clean the gun. But the barrel is clean and shiney when I'm done. I know the OP was asking about a glock/moly combo. But I just wanted to put out how I clean my barrel after shooting moly's.
GTDS certified member #7
Ray Lewis is a murderer (allegedly).FU

Last edited by john58; 06-30-2010 at 09:23..
john58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13   #12
hoffy

Never had much luck with lead, started when the 17 first came out. About 10 years ago I got a G-21,LEO trade in and had tons of cast 180 grain bullets(wheel weights) on hand.As an experiment, I thought I would give it another try. I first made sure I had all traces of copper out of the barrel(an old rule of thumb is for optimum accuracy, have all traces of lead out of barrel before shooting jacketed and vice-versa, this is for bullseye shooting) using a strong ammonia copper remover, so strong the directions said to flush with denatured straight alcohol after using. Then I used Hoppe's moly bore paste(what I really wanted to test) to burnish into the bore. I did it like 4 more times than the directions said, something like 100 passes with a tight patch. I ran about 6-700 rounds with no leading at all, was shocked actually. The load was a midrange load using old powder from the '60s, but has been stored properly(DuPont 5066, discontinued 1966 I think, got about 20 lbs of it in the '80s for next to nothing), sort of between bullseye and unique). The bullets were probably lubed with the RCBS green or Lyman black lube, neither of which requires a heater.

I then shot some jacketed or plated and have not shot lead out of it since. I would guess the removal of the copper and burnishing with the moly paste helped. I also think too many commercial bullets are cast too hard, and skid a bit before the rifling bites=leading at the throat. I have seen this in conventionally rifled handguns, unless the load is really hot. I think the commercial casters around here do this due to public demand, they think the harder the bullet is the better, which is not always the case. I don't have a hardness tester(have literally about a ton of wheel weights) but the store bought cast bullets thumb nail about as hard as the linotype I use for casting 30 cal rifle bullets.

If your Glock shoots cast consider your self lucky, and I am with whoever said leading after 100 rounds is not a success. I shoot mainly plated bullets through my Glocks and HKs and can go thousands of rounds between cleanings(I do oil the guns though) and would probably buy a barrel for one of my polygonal guns but I have a bunch of other guns to shoot my cast through, so I spend the money elsewhere. Just my experience with moly paste. BTW, I have shot moly coated rifle bullets, and the bores can be a bear to clean, seems to vary from gun to gun, I don't go down that road anymore unless the bullets are dirt cheap.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:20   #13
GForceLizard

I've shot 130gr from BBI at 1015fps, Precision Bullets 125gr at 1065fps and Precision Bullets 147gr at 905fps in my stock G17 barrel with no problems. I field strip and clean my gun every 500 rounds, I can't stop myself. So YMMV, buy a case and try them out.
GForceLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 19:08   #14
glocknick

they work fine in my glock 26 but do require more cleaning than fmj. i stopped using precision moly bullets once i found precision delta 115g fmj for $70/1000
glocknick is offline   Reply With Quote