Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 22:22   #1
rome2240sw
GLOCKIN4LIFE
 
rome2240sw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: columbia, SC
Posts: 213
Federal HST, Hornady Tap or Speer Gold Dot for Glock 22?

My local law enforcement loads up with speer gold dots and the Hornady tap. I was wondering what the overall best load? its so hard to compare the Hornady Tap to the Federal HSTs or the Gold Dots because you barely can find the Tap in 180gr. Atleast i never seen it in a gun store. A friend of mine was trying to convince me to go from 180gr to a lighter load for accuracy as well as penetration reasons. So whats the best thing to shoot out of the G22? right now im Running Federal HSTs 180gr XM40HC that i bought from Palmetto State Armory. I can honestly say they have nothing on the Gold Dots exept price. I mean who can beat 50 rounds of qualilty JHPs for 24.95?
__________________
IN GLOCKS WE TRUST
G22 loaded with Gold dots will make your attack stop
rome2240sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 22:48   #2
ZRT650
Senior Member
 
ZRT650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 294
Your good to go.
ZRT650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 22:54   #3
rome2240sw
GLOCKIN4LIFE
 
rome2240sw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: columbia, SC
Posts: 213
Thats what i thought. I wanted to try out the Hornady to see how it functions but i for the price of what i paid for my Federal HSTs i could only fill 1 mag and have 5 extra for who knows what reasons. Shoot them i guess. Im a budget shooter but i like whats best for my gun. Glad i moved away from WWB JHPs.
__________________
IN GLOCKS WE TRUST
G22 loaded with Gold dots will make your attack stop
rome2240sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 00:32   #4
remat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,364
I am a huge fan of the TAP in 180gr. Around here 180gr is all I see. I am also a fan of Gold Dot 180gr when I can find them in the 50rd boxes. I find the TAP to be slightly more accurate in my hands. This is from a 23 and 27.

Last edited by remat; 06-23-2010 at 00:33.. Reason: ETA: this is from a 23 and 27
remat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:05   #5
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by rome2240sw View Post
Thats what i thought. I wanted to try out the Hornady to see how it functions but i for the price of what i paid for my Federal HSTs i could only fill 1 mag and have 5 extra for who knows what reasons. Shoot them i guess. Im a budget shooter but i like whats best for my gun. Glad i moved away from WWB JHPs.
Your seriously using HST's for range duty? That is just wasting money. There is nothing wrong with using WWB for the range. Personally I use Federal as it's a couple bucks a box cheaper at Wally World. The HST's are not "better" for your gun, they are just costing you more money to make holes in paper. For making holes in humans they are a wise choice. Any of the listed rounds would be a fine choice. I personally use Gold Dots but that is only because that is what I use at work and like consistency. If I wasn't going for that reason I would probably use HST. From what I have seen they do better in heavy clothing situations but GD are superior penetrating heavier barriers such as windshields.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:37   #6
LEAD
Senior Member
 
LEAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: VT
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rome2240sw View Post
My local law enforcement loads up with speer gold dots and the Hornady tap. I was wondering what the overall best load? its so hard to compare the Hornady Tap to the Federal HSTs or the Gold Dots because you barely can find the Tap in 180gr. Atleast i never seen it in a gun store. A friend of mine was trying to convince me to go from 180gr to a lighter load for accuracy as well as penetration reasons. So whats the best thing to shoot out of the G22? right now im Running Federal HSTs 180gr XM40HC that i bought from Palmetto State Armory. I can honestly say they have nothing on the Gold Dots exept price. I mean who can beat 50 rounds of qualilty JHPs for 24.95?
Heavier bullets tend to penetrate better, the TC will typically be improved when changing to a lighter load. I personally prefer 165gr in most 40, lighter when using all copper projectiles like the Barnes 40 bullets. Shoot some groups using the rounds in question and see which your gun shoots more accurately. TAP has a great record for accuracy as do the others.
LEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:01   #7
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,350
Yeah heavier will penetrate more than lighter. As far as accuracy goes I'm not sure where that came from either unless it's strictly a matter of faster=flatter shooting, which really makes no difference at all at SD ranges.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 23:38   #8
rome2240sw
GLOCKIN4LIFE
 
rome2240sw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: columbia, SC
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Your seriously using HST's for range duty? That is just wasting money. There is nothing wrong with using WWB for the range. Personally I use Federal as it's a couple bucks a box cheaper at Wally World. The HST's are not "better" for your gun, they are just costing you more money to make holes in paper. For making holes in humans they are a wise choice. Any of the listed rounds would be a fine choice. I personally use Gold Dots but that is only because that is what I use at work and like consistency. If I wasn't going for that reason I would probably use HST. From what I have seen they do better in heavy clothing situations but GD are superior penetrating heavier barriers such as windshields.
What are you talking aobut? i dont use HSTs for the range. Thats dumb. Rather buy Federal FMJs from walmart for $14 for 50. We are talking about SD ammo here. I was just saying i bought Federal HSTs over the Hornady tap for the simple fact that you get more for just a few dollars more. I rarely go to the range.
__________________
IN GLOCKS WE TRUST
G22 loaded with Gold dots will make your attack stop
rome2240sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 23:43   #9
rome2240sw
GLOCKIN4LIFE
 
rome2240sw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: columbia, SC
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD View Post
Heavier bullets tend to penetrate better, the TC will typically be improved when changing to a lighter load. I personally prefer 165gr in most 40, lighter when using all copper projectiles like the Barnes 40 bullets. Shoot some groups using the rounds in question and see which your gun shoots more accurately. TAP has a great record for accuracy as do the others.
lighter vs heavier loads will always be a factor when buying .40 s&w ammo. I prefer heavier ammo since the recoil is slightly lighter than that of the lighter loads. But i have been thinking of trying something in 165gr. Only light Federal rounds i can find in stores is the 50 box of 135gr HSTs which are very light loads. I want to get some Speer Gold dots in 165gr but they only come in the 20 round boxes.
__________________
IN GLOCKS WE TRUST
G22 loaded with Gold dots will make your attack stop
rome2240sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 23:47   #10
rome2240sw
GLOCKIN4LIFE
 
rome2240sw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: columbia, SC
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Yeah heavier will penetrate more than lighter. As far as accuracy goes I'm not sure where that came from either unless it's strictly a matter of faster=flatter shooting, which really makes no difference at all at SD ranges.
And i already know that the heavier loads penetrate deeper but i was looking for something that wouldnt penetrate too deep. Not looking for a pass through if I actually find myself involved in a self defense situation. My only problem for using 180gr for so long is that i prefer the feel of the recoil from a 180gr load over the felt recoil from a 155-165gr load
__________________
IN GLOCKS WE TRUST
G22 loaded with Gold dots will make your attack stop
rome2240sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 00:07   #11
RFPhoto
Senior Member
 
RFPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 456
How many times have you ever used your pistol in a defensive situation? Honestly, I would worry more about training then what ammo you "may" shoot the BG with.
RFPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:12   #12
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by rome2240sw View Post
What are you talking aobut? i dont use HSTs for the range. Thats dumb. Rather buy Federal FMJs from walmart for $14 for 50. We are talking about SD ammo here. I was just saying i bought Federal HSTs over the Hornady tap for the simple fact that you get more for just a few dollars more. I rarely go to the range.

That makes a lot more sense. Just the way you wrote it I took it as you were using them on the range. Long night I guess.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:07   #13
Mwinter
I'm MilkMan Dan
 
Mwinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,495
The obvious caveat is that your mental preparation, tactics training and platform are more important than the brand/weight of ammo you select

That said,

www.hornady.com

www.le.atk.com

Both sites have gobs of test info on the rounds you mentioned. The most important question is what do you want/need the bullet to do? All in 3 in my experience meet most accuracy requirements, so forget that. In a very general sense, the XTPs are more prone to expand modestly, penetrate deeply, and shed their jacket than either the Gold Dot or HST. The Gold Dot and HST are more modern bullets and perform better in the FBI test events than the XTPs tend to.

In my experience, Hornady makes slightly more consistent ammunition than Speer or Federal, but the difference is negligible.

So......what do want/need the bullet to do? Distance, anticpated barriers? Home defense, CCW, security, LE?

Assuming that all 3 function 100% in your specific gun, then they all meet basic requirements for most pistol usage.
__________________
Singled out, and called to arms to defend what they hold dearest, the number of truly evil people would be small. The number of truly good people, even smaller....those too afraid, too weak or too ill-prepared to fight would be countless.
Mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:34   #14
rome2240sw
GLOCKIN4LIFE
 
rome2240sw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: columbia, SC
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPhoto View Post
How many times have you ever used your pistol in a defensive situation? Honestly, I would worry more about training then what ammo you "may" shoot the BG with.
Before I bought a glock i had a ruger p95 that i used for HD and SD. I had an intruder run inside my house and i had drawn down on him.. Luckily no shots were fired and Richland County PD did their job.

I was only worried about collateral damage and another factor i was looking for info on is which rounds where made to have less recoil no matter the weight.
__________________
IN GLOCKS WE TRUST
G22 loaded with Gold dots will make your attack stop
rome2240sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:38   #15
rome2240sw
GLOCKIN4LIFE
 
rome2240sw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: columbia, SC
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwinter View Post
The obvious caveat is that your mental preparation, tactics training and platform are more important than the brand/weight of ammo you select

That said,

www.hornady.com

www.le.atk.com

Both sites have gobs of test info on the rounds you mentioned. The most important question is what do you want/need the bullet to do? All in 3 in my experience meet most accuracy requirements, so forget that. In a very general sense, the XTPs are more prone to expand modestly, penetrate deeply, and shed their jacket than either the Gold Dot or HST. The Gold Dot and HST are more modern bullets and perform better in the FBI test events than the XTPs tend to.

In my experience, Hornady makes slightly more consistent ammunition than Speer or Federal, but the difference is negligible.

So......what do want/need the bullet to do? Distance, anticpated barriers? Home defense, CCW, security, LE?

Assuming that all 3 function 100% in your specific gun, then they all meet basic requirements for most pistol usage.
Trust me my friend i train alot. I practice safe gun handling, practice shot placement without aiming, shot placement while aiming, i practice my draw and I also do my homework and check out local and state laws regularly since laws are forever changing. My only point is what more can i get out of a round thats costs more other than the cheaper stuff. I have heard great things about hornady, Im just so use to buying speer gold dots and Federal ammunition
__________________
IN GLOCKS WE TRUST
G22 loaded with Gold dots will make your attack stop
rome2240sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:43   #16
rome2240sw
GLOCKIN4LIFE
 
rome2240sw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: columbia, SC
Posts: 213
In all, im just looking for a round i can count my life on. As of now, im really digging the federal HSTs since the perform alright in my G22. Had a failure to feed a time or two but maybe due to me riding the slide. I just wanted to try a few lighter loads to see how it performs in my gun as well as how it performs through glass, aluminum/light metals and water jusgs.. A couple of days a guy got mowed down with and AK47 less than 10 miles from where i stay. I have a reliable gun, I just want to add reliable ammuniton to my SD HD package.
__________________
IN GLOCKS WE TRUST
G22 loaded with Gold dots will make your attack stop
rome2240sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 16:15   #17
rfd339
Senior Member
 
rfd339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hendersonville, N.C.
Posts: 3,984
Send a message via Yahoo to rfd339
I just ordered some 165gr Hornady Critical Defense Ammo this week . I like what I see in it .

http://www.hornady.com/store/Critical-Defense-newammo
rfd339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 16:18   #18
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,501
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by rome2240sw View Post
My local law enforcement loads up with speer gold dots and the Hornady tap. I was wondering what the overall best load? its so hard to compare the Hornady Tap to the Federal HSTs or the Gold Dots because you barely can find the Tap in 180gr. Atleast i never seen it in a gun store. A friend of mine was trying to convince me to go from 180gr to a lighter load for accuracy as well as penetration reasons. So whats the best thing to shoot out of the G22? right now im Running Federal HSTs 180gr XM40HC that i bought from Palmetto State Armory. I can honestly say they have nothing on the Gold Dots exept price. I mean who can beat 50 rounds of qualilty JHPs for 24.95?
All those are fine rounds.. nothing to get worked into a tissy about. Don't worry about what your friend, or anyone here says... Get a round that YOU are accurate with and PRACTICE. Placement/Reliability trumps a cool box when you're choosing self defense ammo.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:33   #19
rome2240sw
GLOCKIN4LIFE
 
rome2240sw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: columbia, SC
Posts: 213
I am honestly more accurate with the 165gr loads for no real reason i guess. I was merely wondering would a 165gr Hornady TAP FPD or 165gr Hornady Critical Defense load do just as well a job as a 180gr HST?
__________________
IN GLOCKS WE TRUST
G22 loaded with Gold dots will make your attack stop
rome2240sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:43   #20
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,501
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by rome2240sw View Post
I am honestly more accurate with the 165gr loads for no real reason i guess. I was merely wondering would a 165gr Hornady TAP FPD or 165gr Hornady Critical Defense load do just as well a job as a 180gr HST?
If you miss w/ a 180gr HST, but get a critical hit w/ the 165gr CD.. which is better?

Don't worry about the minor differences in bullets, etc.. You can ask this question 10 times, and get 15 different answers. Get a round you are accurate with, and a round that is reliable in your gun. Then PRACTICE!

Unless you're concerned about having to possibly shoot through auto glass, or need barrier penetration, etc... I don't see a problem w/ the Hornady(or the HST). Neither of those rounds are bonded, so barrier penetration may not be optimum.

Personally, I prefer bonded rounds because I value penetration, but that is strictly opinion and you can find plenty of fussing and cussing here on GT about what type of ammo to carry(look in caliber corner)
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
ammo, federal, glock 22, speer
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 600
130 Members
470 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31