Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-20-2010, 16:17   #1
thinktwice

Field Stripping / Cleaning Mossberg 930

I was just wondering how often you guys clean your auto shotgun after shooting? I mean I always run a patch with 'Hoppe's solvent through the barrel and then lightly oil. I mean how often do you actually field strip it to clean it? I just purchased a Mossberg 930 Tactical and the owners manual states you should clean it after every 200 rounds. I am assuming they mean field stripping it. I don't think I would go 200 rounds before field stripping and cleaning it since it is used for defense purposes. It needs to be 100% reliable and I think it should be cleaned before 200 rounds. What do you guys think?
thinktwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:32   #2
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
I was just wondering how often you guys clean your auto shotgun after shooting? I mean I always run a patch with 'Hoppe's solvent through the barrel and then lightly oil. I mean how often do you actually field strip it to clean it? I just purchased a Mossberg 930 Tactical and the owners manual states you should clean it after every 200 rounds. I am assuming they mean field stripping it. I don't think I would go 200 rounds before field stripping and cleaning it since it is used for defense purposes. It needs to be 100% reliable and I think it should be cleaned before 200 rounds. What do you guys think?
I shoot my 930 SPX a few times a month usually running 10 rounds of 00 buck then for my fun shooting no less than a 100 rounds of low brass target loads. I buy the 100 shell value pack from Wal-Mart. As for cleaning my gun I clean it every time I get back from the range. For me cleaning the gun is half the fun of shooting it plus I want to be sure it is kept in good working order, just in case it’s needed. I guess that mentality is from my Jarhead days at Parris Island SC.

Last edited by frankr; 06-21-2010 at 12:41..
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:53   #3
Jon_R
Silver Membership

My 930 SPX is just for range use. For HD shotgun work I prefer my pump shotguns. I probably clean the 930 at about the 200-300 round mark so probably every other range trip maybe 3 trips. Almost every trip when I get back I will bore snake and spray some oil in the action and barrel.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 19:15   #4
captcurly

Just like frankr I clean after each session at the range. This is what I learned to do at Parris Island,SC in the summer of 1960. Semper Fi frankr
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 22:28   #5
mixflip

I clean mine at the end of the day of any shoot. I copy the Marines habits.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:22   #6
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcurly View Post
Just like frankr I clean after each session at the range. This is what I learned to do at Parris Island,SC in the summer of 1960. Semper Fi frankr
Semper Fi

Parris Island, SC June 1963 Platoon 343

Last edited by frankr; 06-22-2010 at 02:22..
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:37   #7
m24shooter

I rarely strip mine all the way down. If the bolt starts to slow down I will squirt BreakFree on the bolt and in the action and operate the bolt manually a few times. Otherwise I will use an Otis pull through. If I think the gas system needs cleaning I will tear it down, but that is infrequently. Very.
m24shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:07   #8
captcurly

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
Semper Fi

Parris Island, SC June 1963 Platoon 343

frankr; I was in Platoon 253 and graduated at the end of Sept.1960. You were in the new brick barracks with air circulation. The 2 Bat was in WW 2 wooden barracks. I had mess duty in the 3rd Bat Mess Hall. I guess now we are considered Old Corps. Semper Fi Marine
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:19   #9
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcurly View Post
frankr; I was in Platoon 253 and graduated at the end of Sept.1960. You were in the new brick barracks with air circulation. The 2 Bat was in WW 2 wooden barracks. I had mess duty in the 3rd Bat Mess Hall. I guess now we are considered Old Corps. Semper Fi Marine
Yes, that was a long time ago. When the DIís could not PT us outside because the black flag was flying especially during July and August they would PT us in our barracks after they shut off the fans.