GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-05-2010, 18:33   #1
JW1178

Coyote problem, 10mm solution, what grain?

I have some Doubletap 135 Noslers, 165 and 180gr Gold Dots, 180gr controled expansion, and some 200gr FMJ's. I have a G20 that is all factory. I believe there is also a coyote problem, I thought I saw one the other night, I've heard them, and some neighbor's saw a few. I don't care much, live and let live, but our beloved cat dissappeared, and there are other strays that I feed, as well as my dog Sarah and I am worried they are coming too close. I have seen what they can do, and I am worried. Before that happens, I will help reduce their population so they will not need to come into human population, but if I have to kill I want to do it fast and painlessly as possible. I would fell horrible if I made one suffer, even a coyote.

I know they are smaller animals, but how tough are they? Will a 135gr do the job, or do I need more penetation? 165? 180? Will the deep penetrating or FMJ work best?
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:41   #2
pennlineman

I would say any offering out of a 10mm will take care of a coyote without suffering if the shot is placed properly. A coyote is not a very tough animal to kill.
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:47   #3
Free Radical
CLM Number 259
Miembro Antiguo

"but if I have to kill I want to do it fast and painlessly as possible. I would fell horrible if I made one suffer, even a coyote."

Sure, a 10mm. is more than enough, but why use a hand gun? If you want to dispatch them quickly and painlessly I would suggest a rifle designed for that job. The odds of a one shot kill are far greater.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:50   #4
JW1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
I would say any offering out of a 10mm will take care of a coyote without suffering if the shot is placed properly. A coyote is not a very tough animal to kill.
I have heard that before, just not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbala View Post
"but if I have to kill I want to do it fast and painlessly as possible. I would fell horrible if I made one suffer, even a coyote.

Sure, a 10mm. is more than enough, but why use a hand gun? If you want to dispatch them quickly and painlessly I would suggest a rifle designed for that job. The odds of a one shot kill are far greater.
I do have an AR in 5.56 with some 60gr TAP ballistic tips. I guess I'll grab that if it's near.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:51   #5
Jeepnik

While the 10mm will work in just about any loading, I sorta doubt you will get within pistol range (unless you are Elmer). A small caliber centerfire rifle, .223 (can't believe I just said that) .243 or a good ole 25-06 is ideal yote medicine.
Old 06-05-2010, 18:54   #6
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Any well placed shot will do the job, coyote are thin skined much like dogs. You may want a hollow point that way you might get less ricochets from impacts with hard objects with pass thru shots or missed shots. The 135 grain would be great to dispatch them if they are accurate out of your gun, use what is the most accurate in my opinion. Good old shot gun (12ga 2 3/4") would be very effective with BB shot close in or Buck shot further out.

Good luck with the situation! Take some pics!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:58   #7
pennlineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
I do have an AR in 5.56 with some 60gr TAP ballistic tips. I guess I'll grab that if it's near.
Forget about the 10mm and use your rifle. A soft point or hollow point properly placed out of a .223 will kill them very quickly and at greater distances then the handgun.

Last edited by pennlineman; 06-05-2010 at 18:58..
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 19:26   #8
Glolt20-91

Coyotes are pretty fragile and don't need much of a bullet to dispatch them. If they are w/i attacking distance of a pet; a lightweight 9mm JHP is more than sufficient. 10mm/135gr may be too much bullet for a coyote.

60 yards looks like this, from my front yard;

Caliber Corner

I'd be worried more about wild dogs or pet dogs that get together in a pack, just my experience.

Bob

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:19   #9
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

If they get close enough to use the handgun, the 135grn'er should do lovely things to a puny cyote...

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:44   #10
Eagle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
If they get close enough to use the handgun, the 135grn'er should do lovely things to a puny cyote...
When ever I was close enough to use a handgun, they ran away. Never had a chance to get the G22 out of the holster.

Now at 100+ yards, I have bag three with a Remington 700 .308

NC Glockers #139
Eagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:15   #11
Dandapani

I shot and killed a stray dog with one shot from 357 magnum 110 grn JHP out of a Marlin at 75 yards with iron sights. Shoulder shot. We were both surprised.

Dogs had killed some livestock and had returned to sniff out the spot where they had done it.
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940

Last edited by Dandapani; 06-06-2010 at 06:15..
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:40   #12
.45Super-Man

I agree with using a rifle. No question the 10mm is more than ample, but a humane kill is much more predictable with a rifle.
.45Super-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:33   #13
EJP

Coyotes have been killed with a .17 HMR so the 10mm will surely do the job. Still, if you are going for a quick kill (the humane thing to do...) shot placement by far outweights caliber. I don't know about you, but I'm far more accurate with a rifle than with a pistol.
If you go after them, take the 5.56, but if you just have the 10mm with you and have to take a shot, it will be more than enough if you do your part.

Last edited by EJP; 06-06-2010 at 09:40..
EJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:50   #14
rjflyn

Send a message via Yahoo to rjflyn
Googe-varmint hunting, you will get some interesting hits on You Tube as well. An digital call and a good 5.56 rifle will provide some good shooting if nothing else.
rjflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:56   #15
samuse

I've hunted coyote since I was a little kid. Being able to deliver a round to the heart or brain is key for a quick kill. I don't know why anyone would think a coyote is fragile. You don't need a 375H&H, but you do need to be a good shot and a better hunter. Crossing paths with a coyote is pretty easy to do, but when you start hunting them, they become extremely elusive. They're smart and fast. A 10mm is more than sufficient, but range is gonna be pretty limited. I used to do pretty good with a .223 Remington 700, 18.5" heavy bbl, locking lugs lapped, 4-12X Leupold on a badger rail, bedded B&C stock, 2lb Jewell trigger. I had a guy that loaded me 55grain hollowpoints that shot well out to about 275 yards.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:30   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Man I have killed a ton of coyotes. If you have a way to keep them from your pets without killing them, 'that would be great'. If not, and ya feel ya got to get rid of them, use the AR and forget the hand gun altogether would be my suggestion. If you have a better long gun (deer rifle and scope) use that. One reason being, your probably going to be a better shot with your AR or other rifle over the handgun (no offence) most people just are. You can pick 'em off at a longer distance to boot, and your AR is plenty enough for a coyote blaster if you don't own any other rifle.

If your wanting fast kills, hit him in the head if ya can. If not, then 'square in the front shoulder' or just 'behind the shoulder and a tad and low'. Center frontal shots kill fast as well. Take your pick.

Just my suggestion to you.
Good luck.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 06-07-2010 at 08:35..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40   #17
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

As much as I love the 10mm, I would grab a rifle before the 10mm comes out. If on the trail and the pistol is all I have, then so be it. If I had the choice I go rifle for sure.

The 10mm in all varieties are plenty for coyote and deer as well as black bear. I've killed all three of them with a 10mm at less than nuclear velocities humanely. My 10mm coyote load is the 155gr XTP at 1400fps. Have killed a few with a 135gr about 1475fps.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:53   #18
Chonny

There was a bounty on Coyotes around my hometown, if you took a dead Coyote to the game ranger you got $50. A guy took in the max limit using a Ruger Single Six. He shot every single one of them in the heart. It was a big deal locally all the hillbillies got excited.

A 10mm will leave you with a mess near your property that will attract buzzards, snakes, and vermin.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:31   #19
glock20c10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
I have some Doubletap 135 Noslers, 165 and 180gr Gold Dots, 180gr controled expansion, and some 200gr FMJ's. I have a G20 that is all factory. I believe there is also a coyote problem, I thought I saw one the other night, I've heard them, and some neighbor's saw a few. I don't care much, live and let live, but our beloved cat dissappeared, and there are other strays that I feed, as well as my dog Sarah and I am worried they are coming too close. I have seen what they can do, and I am worried. Before that happens, I will help reduce their population so they will not need to come into human population, but if I have to kill I want to do it fast and painlessly as possible. I would fell horrible if I made one suffer, even a coyote.

I know they are smaller animals, but how tough are they? Will a 135gr do the job, or do I need more penetation? 165? 180? Will the deep penetrating or FMJ work best?
First of all, what's your plan for getting close enough to shoot one anyway? So far you only think you saw one, and neighbors have seen some. Is your plan simply that if one comes poking around in your immediate backyard that you'll crack a window open on that back side of the house and touch off a 10mm round or are you actually planning on hunting them (doesn't seem you're really interested in taking it that far)?

You know how far your own practice shooting with your G20 allows you to reach out to, giving you a good chance of making a single killing shot on a coyote. And if the coyote is out of that range, yeah, you've got the 5.56. Any load from either will work fine. In 10mm I suggest either 135gr or 155gr, not that any other grain weight won't work just fine, as they will.

Good Luck,
Craig

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:11   #20
fredj338

Quote:
A far better choice for coyotes than BGs. Penetration is not an issue w/ a 40# dog.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote