SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:36   #1
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

DPMS Panther Oracle

I am looking into getting one of these, they look nice, good brand, in 5.56. Anybody have any experience with these babies?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:41   #2
MCKNBRD

Send a message via AIM to MCKNBRD
Oh Jesus Christ. Please, for the love of all that is holy, use the search function.

Its a polarizing topic. You've got the ones that hate DPMS and the ones that haven't had a problem with them. It usually gets ugly, and lots of egos, toes, and personal feelings get stepped on in the process.

Suffice it to say that DPMS is a good hobby/hunting gun. If it has features you like, and you find the price tolerable, pick it up and shoot the heck out of it. If you're planning on using it as a duty gun or some situation where your life depends on it, you might want to look elsewhere.

Byrdman

Do you shoot or do you talk about shooting?
Take the Appleseed Challenge:
MCKNBRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 15:34   #3
MARSH1
Dealer

As noted search, there was a very recent thread about DPMS as a brand.

Brand preference aside it is very much a entry level AR that lacks sights and other desired features. It is a buyers market right now. Without even knowing what price you can get it for it is safe to say you can get a lot more AR for very little or no more money.

Proud to be a Glock Talk site sponsor!

Last edited by MARSH1; 05-24-2010 at 19:29..
MARSH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 16:12   #4
P+P

it's better than the sportacal ... what's the price on it ???

P+P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 19:30   #5
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKNBRD View Post
Oh Jesus Christ. Please, for the love of all that is holy, use the search function.

Its a polarizing topic. You've got the ones that hate DPMS and the ones that haven't had a problem with them. It usually gets ugly, and lots of egos, toes, and personal feelings get stepped on in the process.

Suffice it to say that DPMS is a good hobby/hunting gun. If it has features you like, and you find the price tolerable, pick it up and shoot the heck out of it. If you're planning on using it as a duty gun or some situation where your life depends on it, you might want to look elsewhere.

Byrdman
+100 Good post.
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:04   #6
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

$750 before taxes. I've seen the other threads, but I don't like entering heated threads where I can't really get the information I seek.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:05   #7
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

I don't want to have ANY weapon I can't trust my life to, so I'll just leave the amount I put down and get another in layaway.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:15   #8
djegators

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKNBRD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
$750 before taxes. I've seen the other threads, but I don't like entering heated threads where I can't really get the information I seek.
Quote:
I don't want to have ANY weapon I can't trust my life to, so I'll just leave the amount I put down and get another in layaway.

As was stated above, depends on your purpose. What most reasonable people will say is that the DPMS can serve some purposes adequately, but you can get something a lot better for only a little more money. My take is that a few hundred bucks averaged out over a decade is meaningless, and I would rather have a top drawer weapon. My two cents.

SHOT 2013:
djegators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:38   #9
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Thank you very much, that's what I like to see, question made, answers given. We here on GT spend way too much time injecting comments that don't serve the thread's purpose. This thread could've derailed into who and why we search, who doesn't search, etc., but it won't. I understand people's want to see less repeated threads, I grasp that concept thoroughly. However, like I said, I like threads that are actually useful. Many good threads go awry because someone entered it kinda lopsided already. I like to start a thread, make my questions, ignore what isn't an answer, and leave it at that.

Thank you for the answers. I will just swap it out for another, better rifle.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:59   #10
djegators

Check the classifieds here and elsewhere, some good deals can be found if you are patient. I have found NIB weapons well below the cheapest online dealer. And when it comes to ARs, you can save a bit by buying lower and upper separately.

SHOT 2013:
djegators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:16   #11
Rekr

DPMS makes a fine rifle, about the same quality as a Colt but will leave you with some moeny left over for some ammo.
Rekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31   #12
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
If you want to trust your life to your rifle get a Tier one rifle. Colt, LMT, BCM, Noveske, Etc. Bravo Company USA currently is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32   #13
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekr View Post
DPMS makes a fine rifle, about the same quality as a Colt but will leave you with some moeny left over for some ammo.
Troll Alert.
Black Rifle Forum
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 05-25-2010, 12:41   #14
Patrolman175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
Troll Alert.
Black Rifle Forum
Thats Funny!
Patrolman175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 13:17   #15
jem375
NRA Life Member

buy the DPMS, you won't be sorry. best bang for the buck out there..
Old 05-25-2010, 15:24   #16
Detectorist

Quote:
Having used the Colt M16 professionally, and I'm not talking about ranges, I notice a good bit of difference between the Colt and the DPMS.

I think the DPMS is a decent hobbyist gun. The Colt has a chromed barrel and chamber which is a real good thing and is considered mandatory for a mil grade weapon.. The Colt has a better made bolt carrier group, including the all important extractor.

I think a DPMS is fine for hobby use but for possible defense use where you may throw lots of lead down range rather quickly, go with a Colt or one of it's quality copy cats.

I was able to get my DPMS Panther for an insanely low price since I work for a gun dealer.

Whichever model you decide to get, find a good brand of ammo that works consistently with your weapon.
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 15:39   #17
HAIL CAESAR

Quote:
Hi Kegel!
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 21:22   #18
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
Hi Kegel!
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 22:47   #19
KiloXray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
If you want to trust your life to your rifle get a Tier one rifle. Colt, LMT, BCM, Noveske, Etc. Bravo Company USA currently is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
Pat
Id like to add Daniel Defense to that list. Perhaps they are the Etc.

Last edited by KiloXray; 05-25-2010 at 22:47..
KiloXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:03   #20
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloXray View Post
Id like to add Daniel Defense to that list. Perhaps they are the Etc.
Oh yea sorry about that. DD is top notch. Unfortunately I had to sell mine to fund my open shotgun. But they do make a top notch gun. Here is a pic of the one I had. Black Rifle Forum
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class