SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:13   #426
Natty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
They are still on Ebay. Looks like a good investment.
Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-WILKES-...item3f0db05912
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 14:10   #427
RichardB
Silver Membership

Since he was shot in the neck, the bobble head is probably anatomically correct.

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:05   #428
Natty

"sic semper tyrannis"
Old 03-17-2012, 12:27   #429
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

"Disce aut Discede"
Old 03-17-2012, 12:45   #430
Natty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
"Disce aut Discede"
Indeed.

But if you depart, we will send an army to burn down your houses and barns and towns and cities...
Old 03-17-2012, 13:37   #431
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

" I believe our troops are doing as much harm in this country as the Yankees......And in fact wherever this army goes the people are ruined."
Confederate John Hagan Confederate soldier in a letter to his wife.

"If God Almighty had yet in store another plague worse than all the others which He intended to have let loose on the Egyptians in case Pharoah still hardened his heart, I am sure it must have been a regiment or so of half armed, half disciplined Confederate Calvary."

North Carolina Governor Zebulon Vance in an angry letter to The Confederate war Department.
Old 03-17-2012, 21:52   #432
Natty

Quote:
" I believe our troops are doing as much harm in this country as the Yankees......And in fact wherever this army goes the people are ruined."
Confederate John Hagan Confederate soldier in a letter to his wife.
You seem to have left out the fact that he wrote... "with the exception of burning houses".

Old 03-17-2012, 22:03   #433
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
You seem to have left out the fact that he wrote... "with the exception of burning houses".

I left out extortion too. One of the things the noble soldiers of the confederacy indulged in. Jubal Early sent troops to Chambersburg PA. with the demand the residents either give them 100K in Gold or 500K in greenbacks or they would burn the town. When citiznes informed them the money in the bank had already been moved further North the soldiers torched the town.
Old 03-17-2012, 22:41   #434
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Natty,

Do you value integrity and honesty?
If so, where do you rank them in your list of values/attributes?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 00:20   #435
Blast
'nuff said

Quantrill's Raiders were a group of fine upstanding confederates.
They were very courteous at Lawrence Kansas, weren't they? Gentlemen all.
Old 03-18-2012, 00:32   #436
Jerry

I usually stay out of discussion about the rebel flag because I’ve found that those that know the truth (this includeds me) get very passionate about the subject and those that don’t are just as passionate and too stupid to educate themselves to the truth. They have been lied to for so long that they believe they know that the Civil War was only about slavery. They refuse to educate themselves to the truth and label anyone that flies the flag of the Confederacy a racist.

So I’ll leave the finger pointers with a question. What is worst, being called a racist when one is not or being so ignorant as to call someone a racist that is not?

American by birth Southronr by the grace of God.

And no that’s not misspelled.
1. A Middle English form of southern, southron.

Try finding the in most dictionaries. They are doing their best to wipeout out hetaerae. If that isn’t racist what is?
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.

Last edited by Jerry; 03-18-2012 at 10:53..
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:27   #437
Natty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Natty,

Do you value integrity and honesty?
If so, where do you rank them in your list of values/attributes?
I teach morals and ethics to people from the North.

It is very frustrating work.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:38   #438
Smacktard

Had I known that I would have to read this whole thread, I'd have picked my own cotton!

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."
- Joseph Goebbels, Minister of Propaganda in Nazi Germany.
Smacktard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:11   #439
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:

You didn't answer my question, but I have another one from this post.

What do you base the morals and ethics you teach on?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:26   #440
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:

If you are trying to teach your morals and ethics I can understand the difficulty.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:43   #441
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
I usually stay out of discussion about the rebel flag because I’ve found that those that know the truth (this includeds me) get very passionate about the subject and those that don’t are just as passionate and too stupid to educate themselves to the truth. They have been lied to for so long that they believe they know that the Civil War was only about slavery. They refuse to educate themselves to the truth and label anyone that flies the flag of the Confederacy a racist.
And what would they read to "educate" themselves? The political agenda drives diatribes by non historians like the Kennedy brothers or Thomas DiLorenzo?

I am not sure what you mean by "Only slavery" you cannot separate the institution of Slavery from the Souths economic, political, or social order it was central to them.

Slavery was ultimately about white supremacy, ( in believing in White Supremacy the South was not alone most of the North adhered to it as well) Slavery was the pillar that upheld the Southern elites power, which was a form of Aristocratic republicanism which gave little more than lip service to republicanism. It was the rule of the minority over the majority. lower class whites were appeased by being told that while they held no real political power they were part of a privileged class. Simply by being White made them (Theoretically) the equal of all other whites. and higher on the social ladder than free blacks or slaves.

Like many in the north nether the Planter class or the other whites in the south would tolerate even the idea of social or political equality with Blacks.

So while the North and the South were both racist it was the South that seceded and went to war to preserve and extend the institution of slavery.

Quote:
So I’ll leave the finger pointers with a question. What is worst, being called a racist when one is not or being so ignorant as to call someone a racist that is not?
See above.

Quote:
And no that’s not misspelled.
1. A Middle English form of southern, southron.

Try finding the in most dictionaries. They are doing their best to wipeout out hetaerae. If that isn’t racist what is
Are you seriously trying to claim that a particular word falling out of common usage or changing ( Southron - Southern) is somehow racist?

1. Are you deluded enough to believe that southerners are somehow a separate race?

2. You forgot to mention that the word originally was used by Scots to refer to the English.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 03-18-2012 at 10:43..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02   #442
Jerry

Quote:

Wife was going into Wolly Wolrld and the “jerk” in front of her let the door slam in her face. As she waked in behind him she said…. “You must be from the north.” He turned and with a big grin sad, “yes I am how did you know.” Wife said, “Because a Southern Gentleman would never let a door slam in ladies face.” She said the grin left his face and turned and walked away.
BIG DAWG #4

Old 03-18-2012, 11:15   #443
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

My Brother married a Yankee. She had the typical abrupt, even rude manner that is typical of Northerners. She couldn't figure out why she couldn't get a job down here in the South. I told her that rude abrupt yankee persona won't fly down here.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:19   #444
EmbryRiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Wife was going into Wolly Wolrld and the “jerk” in front of her let the door slam in her face. As she waked in behind him she said…. “You must be from the north.” He turned and with a big grin sad, “yes I am how did you know.” Wife said, “Because a Southern Gentleman would never let a door slam in ladies face.” She said the grin left his face and turned and walked away.
Your Walmart doesn't have automatic doors?
EmbryRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:19   #445
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Alexander Stephens, Vice president of the confederacy. 1861 "cornerstone" speech.

What was the cornerstone of the Confederacy? Stephens makes it quite clear.

Quote:
But not to be tedious in enumerating the numerous changes for the better, allow me to allude to one other though last, not least. The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old constitution, were that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally, and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with, but the general opinion of the men of that day was that, somehow or other in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. This idea, though not incorporated in the constitution, was the prevailing idea at that time. The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North, who still cling to these errors, with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity. One of the most striking characteristics of insanity, in many instances, is forming correct conclusions from fancied or erroneous premises; so with the anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails. I recollect once of having heard a gentleman from one of the northern States, of great power and ability, announce in the House of Representatives, with imposing effect, that we of the South would be compelled, ultimately, to yield upon this subject of slavery, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics, as it was in physics or mechanics. That the principle would ultimately prevail. That we, in maintaining slavery as it exists with us, were warring against a principle, a principle founded in nature, the principle of the equality of men. The reply I made to him was, that upon his own grounds, we should, ultimately, succeed, and that he and his associates, in this crusade against our institutions, would ultimately fail. The truth announced, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics as it was in physics and mechanics, I admitted; but told him that it was he, and those acting with him, who were warring against a principle. They were attempting to make things equal which the Creator had made unequal.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:51   #446
Natty

The Union states of Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Vermont, plus the Capital of the Union, Washington DC, have embraced and allowed gay marriage.

Every one of these states invaded the South.

Not a single Confederate state has allowed this biblical abomination.

Yankee sympathizers must be very proud of gay marriage.

So much for morals and ethics in the Northern states.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:00   #447
Jerry

Quote:
And what would they read to "educate" themselves? The political agenda drives diatribes by non historians like the Kennedy brothers or Thomas DiLorenzo?

I am not sure what you mean by "Only slavery" you cannot separate the institution of Slavery from the Souths economic, political, or social order it was central to them.

Slavery was ultimately about white supremacy, ( in believing in White Supremacy the South was not alone most of the North adhered to it as well) Slavery was the pillar that upheld the Southern elites power, which was a form of Aristocratic republicanism which gave little more than lip service to republicanism. It was the rule of the minority over the majority. lower class whites were appeased by being told that while they held no real political power they were part of a privileged class. Simply by being White made them (Theoretically) the equal of all other whites. and higher on the social ladder than free blacks or slaves.

Like many in the north nether the Planter class or the other whites in the south would tolerate even the idea of social or political equality with Blacks.

So while the North and the South were both racist it was the South that seceded and went to war to preserve and extend the institution of slavery.
And there is why I hate getting involved in these dissuasions. People believe that know what they are talking about and insist it was about racism. FACT! There were many “Free” men of color in the south. There were very “prominent” FREE black families in the south. You can’t find much about them unless one really digs through historical records. Many of them also owned slaves. The war was over economics not slavery. But the lie that it was has been taught in the school system for so long that it’s hard to “educate” people to the truth and they are too lazy to research it.

What I really find hysterically funny is. Not really! It’s just plain sickening is… We are bombarded over and over again with how racist the Whiteman is and how the Whites tore the Blackman for his home in Africa. FACT! Most of the Blacks sold into slavery were captured by “Black Africans” who then “sold” them to the Whiteman. Black Africans also used other Black Africans as slaves. We don't hear about that.

Take a look at Africa today. They are still hacking one another into pieces. They are still enslaving one another. But I digress. And that’s why I hate getting in these discussions.
BIG DAWG #4

Last edited by Jerry; 03-18-2012 at 12:33..
Old 03-18-2012, 12:04   #448
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbryRiddle View Post
Your Walmart doesn't have automatic doors?
Our Wall Marts have two set of door. The outer doors are manual the inner doors are automatic. In the South we have the best of both worlds. We cherish the simplistic while embracing the advanced.
BIG DAWG #4

Old 03-18-2012, 12:11   #449
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
The Union states of Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Vermont, plus the Capital of the Union, Washington DC, have embraced and allowed gay marriage.
And what is that to you? I thought you believed in State Sovereignty, what they permit is their business not yours if you don't live there.

Quote:
Not a single Confederate state has allowed this biblical abomination.
Again that is their prerogative is it not?

Quote:
Yankee sympathizers must be very proud of gay marriage.
If I had to choose what to be against, Gay marriage or the belief that someone was by nature a slave by virtue of the color of their skin. I would choose to be against the belief that it was ok to enslave someone because of the color of their skin.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:29   #450
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
FACT! There were many “Free” men of color in the south. There were very “prominent” FREE black families in the south. You can’t find much about them unless one really dig through historical records.
And many of those prominent free blacks were in fact mulatto's, many of whom could by appearance pass for white. This was especially true in Louisiana.

Secondly those same "free blacks" would not have remained free blacks under the rule of the confederacy.

Jefferson Dais Speech January 5, 1863

Quote:
I do hereby issue the following Address to the People of the Non-Slaveholding States:--

On and after February 22, 1863, all free negroes within the limits of the Southern Confederacy shall be placed on the slave status, and be deemed to be chattels, they and their issue forever.

All negroes who shall be taken in any of the [Northern] State in the progress of our arms, shall be adjudged, immediately after such capture, to occupy the slave status, shall, ipso facto, be reduced to the condition of helotism (absolute perpetual slavery) so that the respective normal conditions of the white and black races may be ultimately placed on a permanent basis, so as to prevent the public peace from being thereafter endangered.

...It ought not to be considered polemically or politically improper in me to vindicate the position which has been, at an early day of this Southern republic assumed by the Confederacy, namely, that slavery is the corner-stone of a Western Republic.

In view of these facts, and conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery or a complete subjection to the white man,--and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent,--and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future.
Quote:
The war was over economics not slavery.
BS, the southern leaders of what became the confederacy clearly stated otherwise. it's in their speeches, letters, articles of secession, and in the letters and speeches of the Secession commissioners they sent out.

Secession was over slavery, it's protection and it's expansion.

Quote:
But the lie that it was has been taught in the school system for so long that it’s hard to “educate” people to the truth and they are too lazy to research it.
I'll challenge yo to produce any statements by Southern leaders before or during the war that secession was over something other than slavery.

You can peddle the myth of the lost cause and BS by Thomas DiLorenzo all you want they don't hold water to the actual historical record of why the South seceded.

So far you have provided no evidence for your position. Just claim you know the "Truth".

Last edited by Dragoon44; 03-18-2012 at 13:09.. Reason: typos
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slavery caused civil war