GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2011, 16:14   #321
Gray_Rider

BTW. The Southern Cross hasn't "came down" after 150 years. It probably won't in the next 150 years either....It was waved over the fall of the Berlin Wall and was carried by U.S. Troops into battle during the 1st sandbox war and the current one too.

Gray_Rider
Unreconstructed Southerner
Deo Vindice!
Gray_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 19:46   #322
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Rider View Post
BTW. The Southern Cross hasn't "came down" after 150 years. It probably won't in the next 150 years either....It was waved over the fall of the Berlin Wall and was carried by U.S. Troops into battle during the 1st sandbox war and the current one too.

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!
One of my authorized "combat patches" from Afghanistan is the 48th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, which traces its lineage back to Company D, 2nd Battalion, Georgia Infantry, CSA. Unlike liberal civilians, the Army still honors the confederate soldiers and units - in fact, most of the Army forts in the south are named in honor of confederate officers - Ft. Lee, A.P. Hill, Bragg, Benning, Stewart, Hood, Gordon, Campbell, Polk, etc.

The Furball Forum

Last edited by Bren; 07-28-2011 at 19:48..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 22:26   #323
Gray_Rider

Deo Vindice, Bren.

Gray_Rider
Old 08-09-2011, 22:42   #324
Gray_Rider

BTW Dragoon. I read the book "Apostles of Disunion". It is now part of my refference collection. I found the words of the 1860 commisioners erily prophetic. They were almost word for word what was being printed by Northern newspapers. That is before "Honest Abe" had their editors' lives threatened. Or they were imprisioned, w/o trial. Their presses smashed by Federal troops on Lincoln's order. See "The Unpopular Mr. Lincoln". Dance and sing boys. Dance and sing!

"Don't blame us, you had your chance in 1861"
Bumper sticker featuring the 1st National Flag seen at a "Civil War" reenactment

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!
Old 08-16-2011, 14:02   #325
Natty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Rider View Post

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!
Seen in Vietnam

The Furball Forum

The Furball Forum

The Furball Forum/RebelFlag.jpg

Last edited by Natty; 08-16-2011 at 14:03..
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:42   #326
IlliniGlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlandry View Post
Last time I checked, no one called Germany "the land of the free".
And the slaves certainly looked at the South as just that... the land of the free.
Old 09-18-2011, 20:47   #327
RustyShackelford
> OD Glock 32 <

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
So where do you people get your KKK robes dry cleaned?
The Furball Forum
Quote:
"What do you mean you people...?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Seen in Vietnam

The Furball Forum

The Furball Forum

The Furball Forum/RebelFlag.jpg
Well, to be fair, those could have been just some "South will rise again" kinda attitude migration over to that theatre. I mean, they were killing a bunch of folks a different (more savage and inferior?) race than themselves. And embracing each "victory" in the name of the South, no doubt.
TOP GUN 357SIG, Florida Glocker Clubs member #420

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, straight stock (so far)
----------------------------
Ray Zalinsky: "What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public."
RustyShackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:20   #328
Gray_Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackelford View Post
The Furball Forum

Well, to be fair, those could have been just some "South will rise again" kinda attitude migration over to that theatre. I mean, they were killing a bunch of folks a different (more savage and inferior?) race than themselves. And embracing each "victory" in the name of the South, no doubt.
Government education strikes again!

Read the books. Still waiting.

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!

Last edited by Gray_Rider; 10-05-2011 at 17:35..
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48   #329
Mister_Beefy
Legal & Proper

anyone I ever met that talked about how great the battle flag is .... was a moron.

I'm not speaking figuratively. I'm mean, they were STUPID, stupid people.
Mister_Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:30   #330
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

When I was a kid a famous man looked forward to the day when we would judge a man on the content of his character, rather than the color of his skin. It made sense to me then, as it does now. I've known many good people with the "Stars and Bars" displayed proudly; known some real ****wads too. Just like skin, the color of their flag didn't have **** to do with who they were/are as people.

For those offended by the Confederate flag, here's a little advice: Life is tough, grow a pair, and quit whining. JMO
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:20   #331
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
The only sentence in your post that matters.

First, the Civil War was not fought---on the North's part---to free slaves. It was fought to preserve the "Perpetual Union" that all had voluntarily joined.

Second, the timing of the war was forced by the South, not the North. Hostilities began when the South started shooting. Prior to that act of war/treason/rebellion (you call it), the North offered the Crittenden Compromise, that would have amended the Constitution and given the South almost everything they claimed they wanted. Obviously, it was rejected.

Third, slavery wasn't ended earlier because the South had manipulated the political process, giving themselves undue political power. This is most obvious in the counting of property (slaves) as men for apportionment and representation inN Congress. The 3/5ths compromise wasn't the South keeping blacks down---they wanted their slaves counted as whole men so they could grab more seats in the House, and more votes in the Electoral College. Naturally, your idols balked when it came to giving blacks the other things due to men: that whole Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness thing applied to owners.
For the most part your points are correct. However, Lincoln forced the South's hand into firing upon Fort Sumter. Do you think the South should have allowed another country to maintain a fort behind their lines? Lincoln was warned by Gen. Winfield Scott and other military advisors that the South would attack the fort if it wasn't abandoned. Lincoln responded by sending a ship to resupply the fort. It was the appearance of the supply ship that triggered the South firing the first shot. Lincoln maneuvered them into doing so, knowing he would then get public support for The War Against Secession.

I strongly suggest you read The Real Lincoln by Thomas Dilorenzo.

Last edited by HexHead; 03-01-2012 at 08:21..
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 15:34   #332
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:32   #333
Bren
NRA Life Member

I'm going off on a tangent.

Does anybody recall 20+ years ago when nobody thought a confederate flag was racist? When it was on kids lunchboxes and the top of the car of their TV heroes and such? When rock stars had rebel flag guitars, even British rock stars, and when I could easily buy a rebel flag or clothes with one, in stores in Europe? When Harley Davidson (from Wisconsin) actually had rebel flags as part of a factory paint scheme. When people wore rebel flag patches on their clothes and thought nothing of it and neither did anybody who saw them?

I just found out a few years ago that a hangman's noose is now considered a racist symbol too.

But the funny part is all the internet folks now who act like we've had that opinion since the civil war.

I'm not inclined to change my opinion to whatever is popular this week.

Last edited by Bren; 03-02-2012 at 06:33..
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12   #334
RichardB
Silver Membership

http://www.occidentaldissent.com/wp-...of-alabama.jpg

http://www.occidentaldissent.com/201...loosa-burning/

The Confederate Flag became a symbol of southern resistance to Federal efforts to desegregate public schools in the 1950's and continued onward through the entire fight for civil rights. The photo shows confederate flags waving in 1956 when University of Alabama students burn desegregation literature in protest of the enrollment of Autherine Lucy. There are hundreds of these types of photos available on books and magazines of that time frame.

I don't remember the Sons or Daughters of the Confederacy then protesting this use of their flag. So the flag got a bad name. It is not a recent trend. After all the folks who lived thru this era die, then the white wash might be more effective.

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:20   #335
EmbryRiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
http://www.occidentaldissent.com/wp-...of-alabama.jpg

http://www.occidentaldissent.com/201...loosa-burning/

The Confederate Flag became a symbol of southern resistance to Federal efforts to desegregate public schools in the 1950's and continued onward through the entire fight for civil rights. The photo shows confederate flags waving in 1956 when University of Alabama students burn desegregation literature in protest of the enrollment of Autherine Lucy. There are hundreds of these types of photos available on books and magazines of that time frame.

I don't remember the Sons or Daughters of the Confederacy then protesting this use of their flag. So the flag got a bad name. It is not a recent trend. After all the folks who lived thru this era die, then the white wash might be more effective.
EmbryRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 19:36   #336
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Do you think the South should have allowed another country to maintain a fort behind their lines?
The state of South Carolina legally transferred the property to the Federal Govt. That would be the SAME State of South Carolina after it supposedly seceded.

So what gives South Carolina the right to take back property it had legally transferred to the United States Govt?

Quote:
Lincoln was warned by Gen. Winfield Scott and other military advisors that the South would attack the fort if it wasn't abandoned.
So Lincoln should have abandon the fort even though it was legally the property of the federal Govt?

is that how you would act? if you were warned that some folks were coming to take your legally owned property from you then you would abandon it?

Quote:
It was the appearance of the supply ship that triggered the South firing the first shot.
ummm no, you are confusing the relief ship Lincoln sent (After notifying Gov. Pickens) with the relief ship President Buchanan sent which was fired on.

Jefferson Davis ordered the fort to be taken BEFORE Lincolns resupply ship arrived.

Quote:
I strongly suggest you read The Real Lincoln by Thomas Dilorenzo.
I would suggest if you run out of toilet paper you use DiLorenzo's book since that is about all it is worth.
Old 03-07-2012, 19:54   #337
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

The Confederate Flag was the symbol for white supremacy from the beginning.

If you have any doubts feel free to look up what secessionists leaders had to say about why they were seceding.

Start with Alexander Stephens "Cornerstone speech" where he plainly stated that the cornerstone of the Confederacy was.

Quote:
Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
Old 03-07-2012, 19:57   #338
kat1950

I fly one in the front of my house right next to the Florida flag and proud of it.
kat1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 20:01   #339
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
The Confederate Flag was the symbol for white supremacy from the beginning.

If you have any doubts feel free to look up what secessionists leaders had to say about why they were seceding.

Start with Alexander Stephens "Cornerstone speech" where he plainly stated that the cornerstone of the Confederacy was.
We have made the point, repeatedly, complete with Lincoln quote and the relevant sections of the constitution, that while the confederate flag may have been the symbol of white supremacy, so was the U.S. flag. Even most of those against slavery had attotudes on race that would match up well with the KKK of today.

You seem to be trying to prove the south/southerners were racist - that's true. But so was the north and northerners. First example that comes to mind: New York, 1863 - a draft riot turned into "a virtual racial pogrom, with uncounted numbers of blacks murdered on the streets."

The popular myths may romanticize it today like there was a racist and an anti-racist side to the war, but there was not.

Looping back to my post above - this "confederate flag as a symbol of racism" BS is relatively new, having happened since I was teenager. It certainly isn't something that goes back to the civil war.

Last edited by Bren; 03-07-2012 at 20:03..
Old 03-07-2012, 20:09   #340
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
We have made the point, repeatedly, complete with Lincoln quote and the relevant sections of the constitution, that while the confederate flag may have been the symbol of white supremacy, so was the U.S. flag. Even most of those against slavery had attotudes on race that would match up well with the KKK of today.
And Stephens in his speech made it clear that the confederacy was the FIRST to make white supremacy the cornerstone of it's Govt.

Here is the bottom line concerning claims of the US flag being racist.

IT was the US and it's flag that prevailed in the conflict. A Conflict that brought about the end of Slavery.

The Confederate Flag represents the side that wanted to perpetuate slavery and even seceded to try and acomplish that goal.

Quote:
You seem to be trying to prove the south/southerners were racist - that's true. But so was the north and northerners. First example that comes to mind: New York, 1863 - a draft riot turned into "a virtual racial pogrom, with uncounted numbers of blacks murdered on the streets."
Yes Northerners were racist even when they opposed slavery they didn't want free blacks to be living next door to them or even living in their state.

Lincoln in his letter to Stephens pointed out the differences between them was merely that one believed that slavery was wrong and should be done away with and the other thought it was right should be continued. Not that one was a racist and the other wasn't.

Quote:
this "confederate flag as a symbol of racism" BS is relatively new, having happened since I was teenager. It certainly isn't something that goes back to the civil war.
Obviously it isn't new Stephens speech, the speeches of other secessionists, the articles of secession and the speeches of the secession commissioners proves it isn't new. The only thing that "might" be new is increased awareness by minorities as to what the flag stood for. that wasn't being proclaimed in the more recent past.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 03-07-2012 at 20:21..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slavery caused civil war