SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2010, 20:41   #1
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Question about Mossberg 500

... I'm looking to add a third shotgun to the stable , for an additional location.

I am thinking Mossberg 500.

My question is, if I get a Mossberg 500, and I want to keep the price down, can I get any model 500 and install the $56 6-position stock and buttpad, I think made by ATI?

I just want a 18.5" Mossberg 500, maybe even the cruiser/mariner/camo ones that come PGO in the JIC case, and attach the pistol grip/adjustable stock.. Is there a specific model of the 500 I should be lookin for? And recos?

Keep in mind I have a brandnew Mossberg 930 SPX as my primary and favorite blacktikal boomstick and my Benelli Supernova 24" pistolgrip for an additional/extra one...I figured anything the Mossberg 930 can't do the Benelli can... and now I want a less expensive shotgun to add to the stable for utility use.. But if I can pick up a Mossberg 500 for a little bit more than $300 at dicks and add that stock, I'm gravy, right?

Thanks for the help.

And let me add, I obviously would love to add a Benelli M2 Tactical, always wanted one ,but it's $1200. and honestly I don't know if I really can justify it if I even GET that money, having a 930 SPX 18.5" (Conventional stock) and the Benelli SN 24" (SteadyGrip Pistol-gripped stock) but a Mossberg 500 seems just about right.

EDIT: And just for kicks, if I was nuts enough to get one of the 500s with the crazy muzzle breaks, could the adjustable pistol grip stock go on those? Something about those crazy breaks appeal to me in a wierd sort of way.

Last edited by ScrappyDoo; 04-19-2010 at 20:44..
ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 21:48   #2
twag4

yes, the difference is between 12ga and 20ga models. just order what you need to fit 12 or 20. The difference in the 500 line is in the forends, they can almost all be made to fit with a dremel tool, however.
Old 04-19-2010, 22:37   #3
mixflip

Scrappy, you think just like me.

As you know I too, have a 930SPX and a Benelli SuperNova Tactical....and I too am on the hunt for a simple, short, plane jane Mossberg 500. I want another shotgun downstairs since all my guns are kept upstairs.

I am looking for this...
Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by mixflip; 04-20-2010 at 10:27..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:32   #4
vafish

If you are looking for a plain Jane 500, hit the pawn shops and look for a used one with the long hunting barrel. You can usually find them for under $150. Offer them $100 or $125 cash. This time of year is slow for hunting guns. I picked up 2 of them a couple of years ago for $85 and $87. The plain bead sight 18.5" barrels are only $69. You can sell off the long hunting barrel if you don't want it.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 20:32   #5
Victoriagotagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
If you are looking for a plain Jane 500, hit the pawn shops and look for a used one with the long hunting barrel. You can usually find them for under $150. Offer them $100 or $125 cash. This time of year is slow for hunting guns. I picked up 2 of them a couple of years ago for $85 and $87. The plain bead sight 18.5" barrels are only $69. You can sell off the long hunting barrel if you don't want it.
That's what I would do.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53   #6
Omaha-BeenGlockin

2 weeks ago I picked up a NIB 500 20ga with 26'' VR barrel w/3 chokes and a 24'' fully rifled--ported--w/Williams sights barrel---for $249+tax

There are deals out there---just have to be patient.
Weve taken care of everything. The words you hear the songs you sing. The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. Its one for all and all for one. We work together common sons. Never need to wonder how or why. Obama/Hillary---originally written by Neil Peart
Omaha-BeenGlockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 19:12   #7
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Twag thanks for the info that was very informative!

Mix hey man great minds think alike. Must be my high ranking yet retired LEO father influence in mah style! LMfao j/k. That looks really cool, I have yet to own a wood furnished weapon. I was always thinking i'd ruin one, but if I didn't spend too much and/or it IS my knock-around, rough-and-tumble weapon, what the hell?

fish and victoria, good plan, I just am not sure NJ pawnshops sell guns?

OBG that looks like an awesome deal! I am just lenient to go the 20ga route, inasfar as I am trying to keep all my shotguns 12 gauge for ammo stock reasons. I completely understand it's almost foolish to do in rifles, due to the fact each rifle and caliber can have COMPLETELY different uses/effects/ranges/etc. but as far as boomsticks, I am thinking I want 12 gauge. So I can stockpile one gague, all the bookstick family can shoot it. One of the reasons that Benelli Super Nova was so desirable to me was it's extreme versatility... 2 3/4, 3, and 3.5" chamber means it can literally shoot anything in the boomstick world labeled 12 gauge. Plus with a 24" barrel, two chokes included, and the steadygrip pistolgriped stock, it can be used effectivrely for almost ANY application, maybe not THE BEST or INTENDED use but moderately to moderate-plus effective. I'm all about the versatility, as I do not have the funds to have a whole armory full of dedicated weapons...dig? But excellent excellent deal it looks like, I might just have to go that route for the fact its a great package for a boomstick at a great price!

I am thinking i like the 500 desert camo cruiser-style that comes in the JIC, with those nice adjustable badass spec ops stocks. I don't know if that PRICE is right for my purpose but I like that look, I think.

Also I would like a really niced wood furniature but I don't know if I'd use it. Shoot the absolutely beautiful Benelli showpiece shotguns? I'd never fire them once. Ever. Just show off. So to me thats useless until I'm rich.

Old 04-21-2010, 19:33   #8
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Scrappy, you think just like me.

As you know I too, have a 930SPX and a Benelli SuperNova Tactical....and I too am on the hunt for a simple, short, plane jane Mossberg 500. I want another shotgun downstairs since all my guns are kept upstairs.

I am looking for this...
Tactical Shotguns
I proudly own one that is pretty dang old. Passed down through the family. I love the heck out of it. Sadly, I don't have an 18inch barrel for it but that isn't a big concern right now.

EDIT- It was also the first gun that I have ever owned. Given to me when I was around age eleven. I love that thing.
Kalashnikov Klub Member-761
RTN Club Member-171-Moonie

Last edited by GreyEclipse; 04-21-2010 at 19:34..
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 19:41   #9
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Grey you like the Mossberg too then right? Thanks for the info broseph

Old 04-22-2010, 06:36   #10
JaredAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo View Post
I am thinking i like the 500 desert camo cruiser-style that comes in the JIC, with those nice adjustable badass spec ops stocks. I don't know if that PRICE is right for my purpose but I like that look, I think.
I like mine alot...pic @ the bottom. The lowest I've seen the JIC is $359 @ local gun shows, in stores they're +$100-$150 more

here's how she sits now
Tactical Shotguns

and how she will if I cough up $200. Prob not worth it just to cut it down by 3 inches, but it looks so much better flush.
Tactical Shotguns
JaredAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:11   #11
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Jared, no prob with the lack of stock? It does look real sweet I just can imagine it
would be extra swizzzeat with a phat stock

Old 04-22-2010, 10:01   #12
JaredAG

No, no problem. It isn't nearly as easy as shooting from the shoulder, but it's also a lot of fun. The most I've put through it in one sitting is 15 00 and 5 slugs. Area b/w thumb and index wasn't feeling too hot after the slugs. I say if you get the PGO 500 and want an adjustable stock, go for it. You can easily switch the stocks out whenever you want.

As a side note-the waterproof tubes these come in are NOT unbreakable. Broke mine the first day I had it. However, Moss is sending a new one. They're really just a marketing gimmick, but I paid for it, so I want it!

Tactical Shotguns

And another side note-the camo paintjob/duracoat/whatever its called isn't perfect. There's a few spots that look like they could've done better. I don't know if they're all sub-par paint jobs or just mine, I havent examined others like mine.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:16   #13
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

JAG first off, thanks man... I think I'm gonna do exactly that. Could you tell me, maybe even PM me, where ya got your good deal on that? If I decide to get that? It's easy to switch the stocks on a 500 right? Cause I think I def want a 500 and an adjustable M4/Special Forces-lol-style stock.. and its easy to go back and forth?

Regarding the container, hells yeah I would want it! Why bother buying that "kit" if the "kit" doesn't "Kit" lol! But Mossberg had no problem replacing it? How bout the camo-job, do you consider it an issue? Cause I have heard the Mariner cote is fantastic, so I'm suprised at the camo issue. Whts your reco, steer clear or get the camo son!! ?

And Mix I was looking are a youtube vid of yours and you had a 590? vid was it? Did you go get a new one?

Hell I would really like the 590A1 9-shot adjustable stock, or the 590A1 SPXw/ bayonet, even the 590A1 adjustable 6-shot or others..but they seem like you get them as your PRIMARY shotgun, and I already have the "cream of the crop" Mossberg in the 930 SPX and a Benelli... so the 500 with the stock would be a nice 3rd option.

no one answered tho: Could I buy separately and install quickly/remove the muzzle breaks Mossberg makes? Thanks! ( i AM assuming I could at any time buy a different barrel with different sights/or length? )

Old 04-22-2010, 12:19   #14
JFrame

I don't have anything to really add to this thread other than to say that my next firearm purchase will almost certainly be a Mossberg 500 Mariner.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:48   #15
mixflip

Yeah I bought a Mossberg 590 special purpose and shot it for a while before I sold it to fund my Benelli SNT. The 590 was nice but it was pretty heavy fully loaded and I never really played with the bayonet option. I dont miss it since my Benelli fills my pump action requirements to the T and my 930SPX...well you already know all about that love affair.

The reason I am on the hunt for a plain jane $150 Mossberg 500 is just to have a beater, truck gun essentially. I can take it camping and not worry about beating it all to hell if I want to play rough out in the sticks. I am still too much in love with my new Benelli and 930 to rough them up just yet.
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:56   #16
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEclipse View Post
I proudly own one that is pretty dang old. Passed down through the family. I love the heck out of it. Sadly, I don't have an 18inch barrel for it but that isn't a big concern right now.

EDIT- It was also the first gun that I have ever owned. Given to me when I was around age eleven. I love that thing.

18.5" barrels are only $89 or so for the Mossberg 500. Used ones can be found cheaper.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 15:09   #17
Victoriagotagun

Quote:
no one answered tho: Could I buy separately and install quickly/remove the muzzle breaks Mossberg makes? Thanks! ( i AM assuming I could at any time buy a different barrel with different sights/or length? )
Are you taking about the breacher barrel? If so, they are part of the barrel and I doubt they would work on the regular 500 because they use a 590 mag tube on the breacher 500.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 17:18   #18
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

Quote:
Grey you like the Mossberg too then right? Thanks for the info broseph
Yeah, I love my Mossberg shotguns.
Cheaper than most of the other popular shotguns but just as good IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
18.5" barrels are only $89 or so for the Mossberg 500. Used ones can be found cheaper.
That's good to know. Unfortunately I just moved and had to leave my guns behind with my grandparents, I'll be getting them back soonish though and I'll look into buying a 18inch barrel. Thanks for the info.
Kalashnikov Klub Member-761
RTN Club Member-171-Moonie
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:33   #19
JaredAG

Quote:
JAG first off, thanks man... I think I'm gonna do exactly that. Could you tell me, maybe even PM me, where ya got your good deal on that? If I decide to get that? It's easy to switch the stocks on a 500 right? Cause I think I def want a 500 and an adjustable M4/Special Forces-lol-style stock.. and its easy to go back and forth?

Regarding the container, hells yeah I would want it! Why bother buying that "kit" if the "kit" doesn't "Kit" lol! But Mossberg had no problem replacing it? How bout the camo-job, do you consider it an issue? Cause I have heard the Mariner cote is fantastic, so I'm suprised at the camo issue. Whts your reco, steer clear or get the camo son!! ?

And Mix I was looking are a youtube vid of yours and you had a 590? vid was it? Did you go get a new one?

Hell I would really like the 590A1 9-shot adjustable stock, or the 590A1 SPXw/ bayonet, even the 590A1 adjustable 6-shot or others..but they seem like you get them as your PRIMARY shotgun, and I already have the "cream of the crop" Mossberg in the 930 SPX and a Benelli... so the 500 with the stock would be a nice 3rd option.

The lowest prices I've seen around me (Central Va) are always at gun shows, and the cheapest guys @ gun shows are DK Firearms and Dark Sun (atleast for this purchase). I don't know where you're located, but just call around to the locally owned shops and ask them how much such and such would be. Find the best deal and hop on it!

Changing stocks on 500's are as easy as tying your shoes. Seriously. I'm sure you could find some youtube vids on it if you wanna see it done before you commit, but really...once you do it the first time, you'll be able to repeat it in like 60 seconds.

My dealer told Mossberg that the tube was broken when he got it in, so they sent another. NBD.

If I had to get another JIC, I'd still go with what I got regardless of a few cosmetic inconsistencies. I LOVE desert camo, and would rather have this than an all black or mariner.
Old 04-27-2010, 19:29   #20
JohnnyReb87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Yeah I bought a Mossberg 590 special purpose and shot it for a while before I sold it to fund my Benelli SNT. The 590 was nice but it was pretty heavy fully loaded and I never really played with the bayonet option. I dont miss it since my Benelli fills my pump action requirements to the T and my 930SPX...well you already know all about that love affair.

The reason I am on the hunt for a plain jane $150 Mossberg 500 is just to have a beater, truck gun essentially. I can take it camping and not worry about beating it all to hell if I want to play rough out in the sticks. I am still too much in love with my new Benelli and 930 to rough them up just yet.

my lug broke off of mine a few weeks after i bought mine.. was gonna send it in but just never got around to it. but other than that i love the 590