Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:10   #1
MinervaDoe

Your most accurate 9mm load

I would appreciate it you guys could post your most accurate 9mm loads. I can find a few loads listed as accurate in my reloading manuals, but I was wondering what you guys have found to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33   #2
BBJones

I don't want to sound like a smart*****, but this is going to be highly gun dependent. A Hi-Power is going to be very different from a G26 etc. Even the same model gun can have varying preferences between 2 examples.
BBJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:34   #3
Wil Terry

I have 40+- 9MM PARABELLUM pistols. ALL of 'em have a different favorite load that pokes 'em into tiny little groups. Unless you are willing to do the load developement FOR YOUR PISTOL you will never know what the best load is for your pistol. NO ONE can tell you otherwise, but if you do find some one who can take him to the racetrack as he can also tell the future.
Wil Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:23   #4
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJones View Post
I don't want to sound like a smart*****, but this is going to be highly gun dependent. A Hi-Power is going to be very different from a G26 etc. Even the same model gun can have varying preferences between 2 examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Terry View Post
I have 40+- 9MM PARABELLUM pistols. ALL of 'em have a different favorite load that pokes 'em into tiny little groups. Unless you are willing to do the load developement FOR YOUR PISTOL you will never know what the best load is for your pistol. NO ONE can tell you otherwise, but if you do find some one who can take him to the racetrack as he can also tell the future.
While it is true that individual guns make a difference in accuracy of a given load, this is less true in handguns than in long guns. There are several loads for different calibers that provide extraordinary accuracy in most guns as evidenced by the number of Bullseye shooters using the same or very similar combination of bullets, powder & charge. Some of the factory "Match" ammunition is also very accurate in a broad spectrum of guns. Handgunner Magazine published an article detailing load development of the US Marine Corps Marksmanship Unit out of Quantico, VA after Federal ceased group testing each lot of their (previously used) .45 Match ammo. Shooting Sports USA published an article that went so far as to say this load was so good that if it didn't shoot to standards, the gun was scratched & rebuilt. If you look back in history a bit you'll find there are "standby" loads that have stood the test of time i.e., the .38 Special WC/BE loads. There is quite a lot of information available on loads providing exceptional accuracy in that can be found with a little creative research.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 14:41   #5
MinervaDoe

I'm just looking for a starting point here fellas. I've got a hot blue dot load (115 grain bullet from Speer #11) which makes ragged little groups when fired from any of my guns.

I've been reloading for twenty five years, so I understand that there is variance from gun to gun.

If you don't have a pet load to post, that's okay by me.

For 115 grain, my Lyman manual lists a Power Pistol load going 1212 fps as the most accurate.
In Ken Waters Pet Loads (9mm update), he lists a load for a 115 grain bullet going 1207 fps with Bullseye as very accurate. Peters gets a little too far on the hairy edge for me, his 2nd most accurate load for a 115 grain bullet is a Blue Dot load going 1,370 fps.

In a later article (9mm, re-update) Peters states,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Waters
"SR-7625 is, to my mind, the one best powder for the 9mm. Not only is it superbly accurate with all bullet makes and weights, turning in the best average accuracy grouping of all, it isn't bulky and leaves very little bore fouling."
Quote:
"SR-7625 gave best accuracy with four of the nine bullets, and wasn't especially particular as to which gun it was used in!"
Has anybody used SR-7625 in 9mm?

I have four pounds of Unique to burn through, so I'm willing to go with Peters comments about his "second choice":

Quote:
Unique, as an old friend well known to most 9mm shooters lived up to its sterling record, capturing second place average accuracy.
Quote:
Unique would be my alternative choice of powder for the 9mm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 04-20-2010 at 14:44..
Old 04-20-2010, 15:42   #6
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I've been reloading for twenty five years, so I understand that there is variance from gun to gun.

If you don't have a pet load to post, that's okay by me.
I don't mind giving you some of mine. Each of the loads below is more accurate in my guns than I am. Some of these I worked up from scratch and some, were picked up from others. I did not include bullet brands and I'm sure you know that no load is better than the bullet you shoot. That said, they should do well with a variety of good bullets. None are maximum loads any of them should put a smile on your face when benched.

9MM (9X19)

115 Grain FMJ RN – OAL: 1.14 (+/- .005)
115 Grain JHP - OAL: 1.10 (+/- .005)

4.8 Grains Vihta Vuori N-330
6.2 Grains Power Pistol
5.3 Grains Winchester WSF
5.9 Grains Ramshot Silhouette
6.1 Grains VihtaVuori 3-N-37

The below load is specifically for the 147 grain Remington FMC "Match" bullet. I obtained the load from a member here who is a dedicated GSF shooter and tried it on his recommendation. I only include it because it has proven extraordinarily accurate in a number of Glock pistols.

147 Grain Remington FMC-FP Match - OAL 1.130

5.0 Grains AA #5
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 17:31   #7
ede
Bama's Friend

147 montana gold, 3.0 gr. titegroup, and a federal SPP. works great in my glocks, not tried it in my smith.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 20:08   #8
MinervaDoe

Thanks. I've got some WSF. I'll try that one early on.

I keep hearing about VihtaVuori and Power Pistol. I'll have to try them at some point soon.

Old 04-22-2010, 17:38   #9
Jayman
Big Dummy

Send a message via AIM to Jayman
Hornady XTP or HAP bullets are stupid accurate in most pistols. I've had good luck with the XTP 147gr and 3.4gr of Titegroup with Fed SPP. I've also had good luck with that same combo and 5.7gr of Power Pistol. I believe that if you have a decent powder for that caliber and you choose a quality bullet, you'll probably do better than most people can accurately shoot.
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 17:41   #10
dudel

Big + 1. That why we work up loads from a starting point. What works well in my G17 won't necessarily work well in yours. Barrels, rifling, etc have different wear. You're just going to have to work up a load to find YOUR best load.

It's not like baking a cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJones View Post
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 18:43   #11
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
Big + 1. That why we work up loads from a starting point. What works well in my G17 won't necessarily work well in yours. Barrels, rifling, etc have different wear. You're just going to have to work up a load to find YOUR best load.

It's not like baking a cake.
That's why I want more load data and I came here and asked you guys.

Keep those loads coming guys. I really appreciate it.

Here's what my Blue Dot load can do. I hope to tighten it up a little.
Reloading

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 04-22-2010 at 18:51..
Old 04-22-2010, 18:47   #12
HAMMERHEAD

SR 7625 is a great powder. Clean and cool burning (single base). It meters very well. I use it in 9mm and .38 Super with 124 XTP's/HAP's and 130 grain plated RN's with excellent results. I tried it in .38 special, but it is so position sensitive that I got some very wild velocity swings.
Never tried Unique
Besides the XTP's and HAP's, Remington 147 match FMJ's have been accurate in every gun I've shot them in. I use no crimp.

Last edited by HAMMERHEAD; 04-22-2010 at 18:49..
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:49   #13
sig2009

5.3 gns WSF with 115gn FMJ.
Old 04-23-2010, 21:21   #14
dbarry

115gr fmj over 4.7 grains bullseye is one of my favorites

Last edited by dbarry; 04-23-2010 at 21:22..
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 22:54   #15
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarry View Post
115gr fmj over 4.7 grains bullseye is one of my favorites
Maybe 1160 fps (just a SWAG) ... extrapolating from data points in a manual.
Again, my old Speer manual strikes again. I found a box of spent brass in my garage marked as using more Bullseye than you are using. I checked and it was the max load in my Speer #11 manual at 1222 fps. Both loads are off the scale on a Midway load maps manual I have which won't push the 115 grain over 1133 with Bullseye. Kind of conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
5.3 gns WSF with 115gn FMJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Manley View Post
5.3 Grains Winchester WSF
It's encouraging when the data shows a pattern.
Two votes for the same load might be a good thing.
Maybe 1165 fps (yes, another SWAG)

In addition, to WSF (which I have),
I might try 5.1 grains of Unique. Midway loadmaps puts that at 1159 fps and that is well below the max loads in my Lyman and Speer manuals.

This will mostly be for my Glock 34, but 1160 fps will be hot enough to run the slide on my old Browning High Power GP Competition (which based on Chronograph testing needs at least 1140 fps to cycle reliably).

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 04-23-2010 at 23:09..
Old 04-23-2010, 23:19   #16
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
SR 7625 is a great powder. Clean and cool burning (single base). It meters very well. I use it in 9mm and .38 Super with 124 XTP's/HAP's and 130 grain plated RN's with excellent results.
In Pet Loads, Ken Waters runs a 115 grain bullet at 1247 fps with SR 7625 and says it is the most accurate load in that bullet. Again, too fast for me. Midway Loadmaps lists it's hottest load with SR 7625 as 5.2 grains at 1160 fps.
The Winchester Manual online lists its hottest SR 7625 for a 115 grain Gold Dot Hollow Point at 4.9 grains 1113 fps. The pressure looks really high.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
How many grains of powder do you use for the 9mm 124 grain bullet?

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 04-23-2010 at 23:36..
Old 04-24-2010, 04:21   #17
RH45

The two most accurate 9mm, minor, loads I've found for my pistols are both fueled by 4 grains of Titegroup. One is with a Zero, 125 grain, .356(.38 super) jhp, and the other is with the Hornady XTP ( I don't remember if it's 124, or, 125 grain)
RH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 16:14   #18
just for fun

4.4 grains of Winchester Super Lite and 122 gain TC lead bullet. same bullet and 7.2 grains of AA-7. either one will shoot right along with your Blue Dot load.(I think Blue Dot and AA-7 are kissing cousins)
just for fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 16:42   #19
HAMMERHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
In Pet Loads, Ken Waters runs a 115 grain bullet at 1247 fps with SR 7625 and says it is the most accurate load in that bullet. Again, too fast for me. Midway Loadmaps lists it's hottest load with SR 7625 as 5.2 grains at 1160 fps.
The Winchester Manual online lists its hottest SR 7625 for a 115 grain Gold Dot Hollow Point at 4.9 grains 1113 fps. The pressure looks really high.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
How many grains of powder do you use for the 9mm 124 grain bullet?
I'm using 5.0 grains SR 7625 with a 124 XTP/HAP COL 1.080" and 130 .356" Rainier plated RN COL 1.125". Should be right at 1,000 fps.
My Sierra manual lists 5.4 as max with 124/125 FMJ/JHP or 130 FMJ. The Sierra manual's loads are always a little hotter than most. Hodgdon data is down right wimpy in comparison.
HS-6 seems like a better candidate for pushing for max velocities in 9mm, but SR 7625 is more accurate for me in 9mm and especially .38 Super where I can really notice a difference with my nice 1911.
SR 7625 might also be a good choice for lead bullets being single based.
Old 04-27-2010, 16:45   #20
HAMMERHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH45 View Post
The two most accurate 9mm, minor, loads I've found for my pistols are both fueled by 4 grains of Titegroup. One is with a Zero, 125 grain, .356(.38 super) jhp, and the other is with the Hornady XTP ( I don't remember if it's 124, or, 125 grain)
Titegroup is another winner in my book.