GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2010, 20:41   #1
M4J0R T0M

It's official, I'm a handloader!!!! (pics inside)

A BIG thank you to everyone here for all your help and for answering my never ending questions. It is now official, I have loaded my first batch of ammo. I loaded fifty rounds of .40 s&w using Federal brass with 4.6 grains of Titegroup and 165 grain fmj bullets. My powder measure was acting up a little, (see my other thread) so I think some of the charges might be plus or minus a couple grains. I started with the smallest charge so I should be ok. I think it went pretty well except for forgetting to seat the new primer a couple times and ending up with power all over the place. I was to preoccupied with not double charging a case that I forgot to seat a couple. Anyways, here are a couple pics of my set up and my finished product.

I reclaimed a corner of my garage that was overtaken by junk, threw the bench together from some scraps and viola, my new reloading station.

Reloading

Reloading

Tell me what you guys think!
Old 04-02-2010, 20:46   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I'm hoping you meant to say you might be off a couple tenths of a grain... not a couple of grains. Even with a little oily film in it your measure wouldn't have been off that much.

Bench looks very good... get a few years of loading under your belt before you hang your tv and install the wet bar.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 20:52   #3
M4J0R T0M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
I'm hoping you meant to say you might be off a couple tenths of a grain... not a couple of grains. Even with a little oily film in it your measure wouldn't have been off that much.

Bench looks very good... get a few years of loading under your belt before you hang your tv and install the wet bar.

Jack
Dang, the edit button doesn't fix idiot, lol. Yeah, I meant a couple tenths. Thanks for the kind words Jack. You, especially have been a great help.
Old 04-02-2010, 21:23   #4
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I thought everyone had a boobie calendar over the bench...

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 23:53   #5
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

When you get comfortable with reloading that is when bad things happen.
I like Hodgdon's Longshot for medium to hotter loads also impossible to double charge and easy to see a high/low charge.
Take care and have fun!
Old 04-03-2010, 00:21   #6
fredj338

Well done! Be very cautious w/ your adventures using TG. It is not a powder I can recommend, especially for newbs. You are right to worry about dbl charges. That 4.6gr is hardly noticeable in a 40 case, don't get me started. Still not to late to put it on the shelf for later & get some WSF
The pwoder measure will smooth out the more powder you run thru it. It's not a bad idea to just funnel an entire pound thru before you actually start reloading. The graphite coating on the powder will smooth things up.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-03-2010 at 00:24..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:01   #7
sjones

Looking good man,just don't get distracted. sj
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:55   #8
ron59
Bustin Caps

That first box that YOU reloaded and take to the range feels GREAT, doesn't it?

I just started reloading last July, and now already have loaded well over 10,000. Yes, I shoot a LOT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:00   #9
Hydraulicman

Send a message via AIM to Hydraulicman
sweet set up. way to buy quality first. I wish i started with a progressive.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:38   #10
M4J0R T0M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
That first box that YOU reloaded and take to the range feels GREAT, doesn't it?

I just started reloading last July, and now already have loaded well over 10,000. Yes, I shoot a LOT !
Yes it does!! Kind of scary also. I said a couple prayers, you know, didn't want a KB!! It was really cool though, I loaded a lighter round and could actually feel less recoil when I shot. It was cool knowing that I made these rounds softer and they were even more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
Looking good man,just don't get distracted. sj
Thanks, I'm to scared of double charging to get distracted right now. I just hope I never get comfortable and start to take things for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulicman View Post
sweet set up. way to buy quality first. I wish i started with a progressive.
Thanks to all the great info and suggestions from the good folks here.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:56   #11
sjones

You could switch to a different powder,one that fills the case more than TG,that way you will be sure not to overcharge.Just stick the TG back on the shelf for later on. sj
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:58   #12
Bello
America/Italia

looks great
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04   #13
yipchoy

I may be way off base here, but from the way the light is hitting the cartridge bases and the edges of the primers, it looks as though you have a few high primers there. If the primers are supposed to be below the level of the base of the brass, then their edges should not catch the light as some of them are. Worst case scenario is that they will not fire. Congratulations anyway and welcome to the zen of reloading.
Alan
yipchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:09   #14
ron59
Bustin Caps

Yeah, I was also VERY nervous the first few I shot. I actually "borrowed" (with his permission) a neighbor's field to shoot my first batch. I took a heavy leather glove to wear when I shot the first 10. But I went with a very light load, and had no problems.

But I agree with the folks warning about TG. That's another reason why I use Solo-1000. I think it offers several things:
1) More "fluffy" so it fills the case more. If you accidentally double-charged, you would actually overflow the case and have powder everywhere. How could you not notice that!?
2) It's a very "soft" recoil. Not sure how it does that, but I load to 130+ PF with my 147gr MG, and it's super soft
3) Pretty clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!

Last edited by ron59; 04-03-2010 at 11:13..
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 20:56   #15
M4J0R T0M

Thanks for all the powder suggestions, I'll have to keep those in mind. You guys are right, the TG only fills the case up about a third full. I appreciate the concern, but I think I'll be all right. I am very cautious and I have a little method worked out to help prevent a double charge. Before each pull of the handle I, (FIRST) place a bullet on the freshly charged case and then place a fresh case on the plate, pull the handle and repeat. One of the reasons I got the LnL was because it's auto indexing and that helps prevent DC's also. I just have to take my time and be careful. Now, if I could just remember to seat those damn primers. I couldn't tell you how many times I took that stupid shell plate off to clean out the powder.

By the way, I shot my first 50 rounds this morning and it was great, as soon as I got over the fear of blowing my hands off. With the 165 gr bullets and the lighter load they had a very soft recoil compared to the factory Federal 180 gr. I really enjoyed the sense of accomplishment after shooting. I also felt like a pro as I was gathering up my brass and checking it over. I know that I'm not a pro, just felt kinda cool.
Old 04-03-2010, 21:22   #16
ndhill
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wont ask you a ton of questions, just one. Can you create a list of the things you bought to get going? I have gotten recommendations on what press, but everyone says replace this or that. I'm looking for a real estimate on how much $$$ I'll need to get going for a setup like you have. Good work!
ndhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:39   #17
BK63

You will have many years of reloading ahead of you. You will also collect reloading "stuff" over the years which is a good thing. Your bench looks about the size of mine. Typically I go to the cave and reload from 30 minutes to an hour at night after work. When you start to get tired or find your self daydreaming it's time to stop for the day. I also have a small area where I tumble and sort casings and clean guns after the range. You'll find yourself spending a lot of time there. Good luck.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 16:55   #18
M4J0R T0M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhill View Post
I wont ask you a ton of questions, just one. Can you create a list of the things you bought to get going? I have gotten recommendations on what press, but everyone says replace this or that. I'm looking for a real estimate on how much $$$ I'll need to get going for a setup like you have. Good work!
What caliber are you wanting to load for, .40?
Old 04-04-2010, 21:35   #19
PCJim

M4JOR, Congrats. Good looking bench, too. Remember that reloading is very addictive!
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 22:34   #20
stengun

Howdie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post

Gee, I knew there was something missing in my Gun Room.

Paul
stengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:37   #21
mnhogrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post

Hard to get girlie calendars anymore. Snap-on and Mac tools used to give out nice ones.

I supposed they got sued.....
mnhogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 18:04   #22
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Excellent job. Congrats!

Last edited by Cobra64; 04-07-2010 at 18:08..
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 18:12   #23
DEADLYACCURATE

Congrats
DEADLYACCURATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 18:21   #24
ursoboostd

Congrats. I'm a newb too, started loading less than a yr ago. It is very addicting and feels great when you go shootin. I was very nervous shootin my 1st loads. My 1st 9mm were so light they wouldn't cycle my glock. lol -Wade-
Old 04-07-2010, 18:23   #25
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
Excellent job. Congrats!

HEY... what'da ya do with the picture of ex-wife number 3? You think I just name them numerically?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote