Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2010, 19:50   #1
YamaLink

Locally: IDPA or USPSA. Which to join?

Locally the IDPA and USPSA seem "even" in terms of matches and qualifiers. I presume the same shooters attend both matches.

Did you purchase a membership to both or just one....and why?

I shoot a G34; seems the IDPA is a bit more strict on holster and gun belt (based on mission statement) yet I need 5 mags in USPSA vs 3 for IDPA.

I see no reason to be a member of both but I'm a newbie so what the heck do I know!

Last edited by YamaLink; 04-05-2010 at 19:55..
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 20:12   #2
RH45

Even though I prefer to shoot USPSA matches, I belong to, and shoot both.
RH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 20:12   #3
Ranger54

My best suggestion is to shoot a match or two in each and see what you like. I did that and decided USPSA was what I wanted to do, so, concentrating on that.

It really is a matter of personal preference.
Ranger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 22:59   #4
bisdak

Yes, actually shoot both and then you can figure out which one you like and heck if you like both, do it. Welcome to the club!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:17   #5
mteagle1

If your IDPA club follows the rules then you will need to be a member before you can shoot the Classifier and for USPSA if you want to become classified so you can win something then you need a membership. USPSA is more run and gun fun hence the need for more mags while IDPA is tactically based and most gun fights are resolved with the gun mag and 2 spares.
101st Airborne 1957-60
USAF 1961-80 Retired
mteagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 18:07   #6
9x45

They are separate organizations. You need to join IDPA to be classified by their rules, but you could shoot USPSA forever as unclassified without joining, however you can only compete at local clubs, not higher level matches. In IDPA you are only allowed to have a mag in the gun and 2 on the belt, in USPSA, wear as many as you want. They are both games, with different rules. IPDA was invented by Bill Wilson, an IPSC champion back in the day. Shoot both, see what you like.

Last edited by 9x45; 04-06-2010 at 18:08..
9x45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 20:22   #7
Mark L Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x45 View Post
. IPDA was invented by Bill Wilson, an IPSC champion back in the day. Shoot both, see what you like.
Not only was idpa invented by Bill Wilson. He OWNS it lock stock & barrel. He has the gold & he makes the rules. No committee, no polls, just his decisions.

Try both games, see which one you like best but you don't have to join uspsa to shoot at most local clubs. You will need to join idpa if you intend to shoot more than a couple of times. If you like both, sounds like the decision will be made for you. Also, if they are completely separate clubs, figure out which group of guys you fit in with better. Some clubs are just downright unfriendly to new guys so no sense in tethering yourself to those jerks.

I personally enjoy the run & gun freestyle you solve the problem yourself format of uspsa. I've never enjoyed people telling me "do this here, do that there & don't deviate or it is a penalty" but to each their own.

It is easier though to start idpa since they give you very specific instructions on what to do where.

MLM
Give competition shooting a try... don't let yourself be scared off by the thought of how poorly you may do. It is a learning experience, and only those willing to swallow their egos and take the plunge will ever reap the rewards.

Andy C.
Mark L Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 23:26   #8
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

Both.

You may find the shooting in IDPA is easier, but the non-shooting rules to be harder to get a grasp on at first.

USPSA matches don't specify how you have to reload, or in what order you have to engage the targets, but the shots tend to be harder.
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 00:04   #9
ronin.45

I agree. Try both.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:55   #10
DragonLibra

Personally if you find yourself shooting more than a couple of matches in either or both IDPA or USPSA then I'd think it only fair you support that organization by becoming a member.

And if you are close to any of the clubs you shoot at help as much as you can be it setup, teardown, helping with the scorekeeping at a match, pasting, etc. It's a ton of work for the people at the clubs to put on these matches.
DragonLibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:12   #11
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLibra View Post
Personally if you find yourself shooting more than a couple of matches in either or both IDPA or USPSA then I'd think it only fair you support that organization by becoming a member.

And if you are close to any of the clubs you shoot at help as much as you can be it setup, teardown, helping with the scorekeeping at a match, pasting, etc. It's a ton of work for the people at the clubs to put on these matches.
+1.

Leaving work early today to setup two stages for USPSA that I can reuse for 3-Gun the following week that I run.

In our area at least if you are willing to travel 1 hour you can shoot 3-4 matches month of IDPA and / or 3-4 matches a month of USPSA.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23   #12
DragonLibra

Same luck here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
+1.

Leaving work early today to setup two stages for USPSA that I can reuse for 3-Gun the following week that I run.

In my area at least if you are willing to travel 1 hour you can shoot 3-4 matches month of IDPA and / or 3-4 matches a month of USPSA.
Within about 60 miles or less I can shoot almost every weekend April - October an IDPA or USPSA match. Just wish my area had the weather to go year round.

I'm heading to an IDPA SO class Saturday. Nothing frosts me more than a group of shooters who stand around BS'ing while the same people or SO's trek out each time to paste the targets.
DragonLibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:03   #13
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLibra View Post
Within about 60 miles or less I can shoot almost every weekend April - October an IDPA or USPSA match. Just wish my area had the weather to go year round.

I'm heading to an IDPA SO class Saturday. Nothing frosts me more than a group of shooters who stand around BS'ing while the same people or SO's trek out each time to paste the targets.
We shoot year round but in Jul-Sep it gets rough. If you don't pull your share helping your squad then sometimes we can't find your score sheet at the end.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 21:54   #14
ecmills
I shoot guns.

People debate this all the time, but there *is* a right answer.

Join IDPA. Shoot SSP

Buy more mags and pouches.

Join USPSA. Shoot Production too.

It's not impossible to reach the slide stop
ecmills is offline   Reply With Quote