GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 18:55   #301
doc o glock

New Regulations from TSA effective January 2013.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition
Black Rifle Club #2L
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have. Pres. Jerry Ford
doc o glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17   #302
ChiefWPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc o glock View Post
New Regulations from TSA effective January 2013....
I went through the regs. Don't see any difference from the old ones. What am I missing??

Old 02-11-2013, 13:00   #303
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

"If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm."

This is a continued concern for me. Most of the ticket agents INSIST that the tag go INSIDE the locked gun case. If it's INSIDE the case, there's no way the TSA can know it was declared. I've only had one agent tape it to the OUTSIDE of the locked gun case in all my travels. Idjits... most of them.
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 15:27   #304
ChiefWPD

Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 02-15-2013, 19:28   #305
RadarP3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
"If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm."

This is a continued concern for me. Most of the ticket agents INSIST that the tag go INSIDE the locked gun case. If it's INSIDE the case, there's no way the TSA can know it was declared. I've only had one agent tape it to the OUTSIDE of the locked gun case in all my travels. Idjits... most of them.
If the agent still INSISTS the tag go inside the locked gun case, ask to fill out a second tag. One to go inside (to satisfy the agent) and the second one to be taped on the outside (the correct procedure) of the locked case.

A friend will bail you out of jail ...... A true friend will be there sitting next to you saying "Damn, that was fun!"
RadarP3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 18:55   #306
Sheepdog689
NRA Life Member

I had to fly half way across the country last week. First time that I've flown with a firearm. I'm covered by LEOSA and with all the ***** happening, I'm not going anywhere anymore unarmed. My son gave me a single pistol size Pelican case for Christmas that I've set up for my Glock 38, mags and 20 round box of ammo. I used some of the other ideas that have been posted by getting a 2 foot piece of plastic coated steel cable (I think it was 3/16") and a couple compression ferrules. Made a 1" loop on each end and secured the ferrules. I ran the cable through the framework inside my suitcase and using 2 padlocks on the Pelican case, secured a loop on each padlock when I locked the case.

Followed Mac's directions and it was a total non-event. As a couple other people pointed out, the ticket agent wanted me to put the tag inside the case. I had their (USAIR) instructions printed out along with the TSA instructions in case there was a problem. I told the agent that the tag had to go on top of the pistol case in case the TSA opened the suitcase. When I told her they would cut the locks off if they didn't see the tag she said she didn't know that. She had no desire to touch the pistol or check the ammo box. In fact she didn't even have me take the pistol out of the case to show that it was unloaded. After she gave me the tag and I locked everything back up she told me to take it over to the TSA station next to their ticket counter. TSA had their Xray unit right there by the counter. I handed my suitcase to a TSA agent, told him there was an unloaded firearm inside and I stood by to make sure there wasn't a problem. He put the suitcase on the conveyor, looked at the monitor as it went through and gave me a thumbs up.

Same thing on the return trip, ticket agent wanted me to put the tag inside the case, again they didn't want to handle the pistol. I again said no and explained why. Agent said he didn't know that the tag had to be on the outside of the case. He was intrigued with how I used the steel cable to secure the pistol case to the frame of the suitcase and liked how it was set up. At that airport they took the suitcase at the ticket counter and sent it out back. My flight got cancelled due to weather at my destination just after we pulled away from the jetway so I had to go back to the ticket counter, get my suitcase back and go through it all over again with American Airlines because I switched flights. Never got called by the TSA to check the suitcase so either they opened it and saw the tag or they didn't care.
Old 03-30-2013, 17:56   #307
freezetime

Another vote for an excellent thread worth reading for anyone traveling with their firearm!

I do have one question for anyone who has flown Allegiant and carried ammunition. Per their website (http://faq.allegiantair.com/can-i-travel-firearm.html) You are allowed 300 rounds of pistol ammo in the manufacturers original box. The other details are a bit unclear.

1. Small-arms ammunition intended for sport or hunting are accepted only if carried in a locked, hard-sided checked bag.
  2. Ammunition must be in the manufacturer's original container, or equivalent fiber, wood, or metal container specifically designed to carry ammunition. This carrier must provide sufficient cartridge separation.

I take it to mean that the ammo must be in its own locked case AND in the original box or other ammo carrier. Can anyone who has flown Allegiant provide any clarity? I wouldnt be carrying ammo with me on my upcoming trip but due to the shortages I am afraid that I will be going through the trouble of taking my firearm only to arrive at my destination and unable to find ammo(range trip is on the itinerary)
Ruger 10/22
freezetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:58   #308
jb7706

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetime View Post
Another vote for an excellent thread worth reading for anyone traveling with their firearm!

I do have one question for anyone who has flown Allegiant and carried ammunition. Per their website (http://faq.allegiantair.com/can-i-travel-firearm.html) You are allowed 300 rounds of pistol ammo in the manufacturers original box. The other details are a bit unclear.

1. Small-arms ammunition intended for sport or hunting are accepted only if carried in a locked, hard-sided checked bag.
  2. Ammunition must be in the manufacturer's original container, or equivalent fiber, wood, or metal container specifically designed to carry ammunition. This carrier must provide sufficient cartridge separation.

I take it to mean that the ammo must be in its own locked case AND in the original box or other ammo carrier. Can anyone who has flown Allegiant provide any clarity? I wouldnt be carrying ammo with me on my upcoming trip but due to the shortages I am afraid that I will be going through the trouble of taking my firearm only to arrive at my destination and unable to find ammo(range trip is on the itinerary)
You quoted FAA regs that are usually parroted by the airlines. The "or" is important. I fly with ammo in magazines and in mfgr box, mags not in gun obviously. I also have a cutout for my chambered round in the foam of my Pelican case. Never had a problem. What they are after is making sure the primer is protected from impact.
jb7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 22:21   #309
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Thanks for the tips. I'm heading to Alaska on Saturday, and will be spending a day in Seattle on the way back. Ain't leaving home without it.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 20:23   #310
4Rules

Last edited by 4Rules; 06-04-2013 at 20:24..
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08   #311
swinokur

Airline employees nor TSA employees are allowed to touch firearms. If they need to be checked LE is to be called. I agree the tag needs to be on the outside of the locked case to allow TSA to correctly conduct a secondary inspection of a bag.

There is no prohibition on ammo and the firearms being in the same case, as long as the ammo is packed according to the guidelines.

IIRC Alaska Airlines allows up to 50 pounds of ammo, very different from the typical 11 lbs many others allow. Probably because of hunters IMO.

Last edited by swinokur; 06-05-2013 at 05:09..
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 13:48   #312
Cool Hand Luke

This is a fantastic thread. Thank you for posting this. I will be flying to San Antonio and driving from there to Pittsburgh, and did not want to make that road trip unarmed. I had read through Delta's guidelines but this thread makes things 100% clear. Also, the cable connecting the hard case to the internal bars is brilliant and I will be doing just that.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 18:30   #313
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post

This is a continued concern for me. Most of the ticket agents INSIST that the tag go INSIDE the locked gun case. If it's INSIDE the case, there's no way the TSA can know it was declared. I've only had one agent tape it to the OUTSIDE of the locked gun case in all my travels.
They're right, you're wrong.

It's the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarP3C View Post
If the agent still INSISTS the tag go inside the locked gun case, ask to fill out a second tag. One to go inside (to satisfy the agent) and the second one to be taped on the outside (the correct procedure) of the locked case.
The "correct procedure"?

No, that would be an incorrect, and an illegal, procedure.

You might want to check the links provided in this very thread before you post any more misinformation.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 21:42   #314
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 Carry Issues

It's the law.

It's the law.
I'm not suggesting what is or isn't the law. I'm pointing out (the obvious) that with the tag INSIDE the locked gun case, there's no way for the TSA to know if the gun was declared at the ticket counter.
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 13:07   #315
SCmasterblaster

Flying with firearms

I will read this long thread the next time I travel by air.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 11-27-2013 at 10:22..
SCmasterblaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 15:29   #316
Neal40

Awesome Info Thanks Mac !!!

Tags
airplane gun, fly gun, tsa travel rules