Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2015, 13:14   #1
1995GMC

Have the recent "riots" changed your thoughts about your CCW gun?

I don't live in an area susceptible to the idiotic behavior seen lately, but still makes me think I should go back to carrying a double stack 9mm and a couple of spare mags, rather than a G42 and a spare mag or an LCR and a couple of speed strips.

Last edited by 1995GMC; 04-27-2015 at 13:17..
1995GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 13:19   #2
rock_castle

Nope. I stay clear of bad neighborhoods and the inner city in general. I live in a very affluent town with a miniscule crime rate, so my J Frame in pocket is all I should ever need.

Last edited by rock_castle; 04-27-2015 at 13:20..
rock_castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 13:21   #3
fredj338

I agree with rock, just don't go there. If all you have is a 5shot rev when that goes down, 5 down & then run. It's not like riots are spur of the moment events. They usually build over at least hours if not days.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-27-2015 at 13:23..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 15:17   #4
Jake Starr

Nope because I carry a G23 every day with a spare G22 mag. Have more than what I need for reserve in my back pack.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 16:04   #5
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

As stated riots can usually be seen coming if you pay attention. It's incidents like the Colorado theater shooting that makes me reevaluate.

Last edited by BuckyP; 04-27-2015 at 16:04..
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 16:20   #6
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

My EDC is the same. Glock 27 and 10rd's of 180 Ranger T's.

Riot situations are why I buy magazines and ammo whenever I can. No such thing as too much.

Old 04-27-2015, 16:47   #7
Gpruitt54

Riots, hardly! Don't panic yourself into hysteria over what is nothing more than a small and localized civil disturbance. The question assumes there is some kind of widespread civil issue to fear. Such thinking maybe top of discussion on some forums, but hopefully not here.

Be smart and avoid areas of active disturbance. No one is going to become the Alamo, fending off throngs of attackers. If things dissolve to that level, you could not remain in your home anyway. In that level of disturbance, people set fires, and there goes all your ammo, powder, firearms, etc. Like I said, don’t spread undo fear. It doesn’t help, it only ensures continued shortages of reloading supplies and ammo for the rest of everyone.

Last edited by Gpruitt54; 04-27-2015 at 16:55..
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 16:51   #8
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
As stated riots can usually be seen coming if you pay attention. It's incidents like the Colorado theater shooting that makes me reevaluate.
The Aurora shooting could have been resolved by a cool head & skilled response with a 5shot j frame. That POS was NOT looking for a fight & would have fled or died where he stood.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 04-27-2015, 16:53   #9
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
Riots, hardly! Don't panic yourself into hysteria over what is nothing more than a small and localized civil disturbance. The question assumes there is some kind of widespread civil issue to fear. There is not.

Be smart and avoid areas of active disturbance.
In such a case you would not be venturing out anyway, you would be home, vest, sidearm & long gun, protecting you & yours, at least I would be
Old 04-27-2015, 16:58   #10
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
Classless POS®

"In pretty deep ****" is a good analogy to being "undergunned".

Carry Issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Every day that you wait, you're falling faster. No sleight of hand, no twist of fate, no ever after. When it's gone, it's gone. A fight to the bitter end... Life won't wait for you, no life won't wait for you, my friend.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 16:58   #11
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The Aurora shooting could have been resolved by a cool head & skilled response with a 5shot j frame. That POS was NOT looking for a fight & would have fled or died where he stood.
Lot of assumptions here, and you can't assume or plan this will be the case.
Old 04-27-2015, 17:09   #12
fredj338

Quote:
Lot of assumptions here, and you can't assume or plan this will be the case.
No I am responding to your example. A single, non committed nut job shooter; It could have been handled by a trained person with any reasonable gun IMO. First round incoming would likely have sent him running. Yes you would not know that or should assume that, but it beats lying there waiting to be executed.
Old 04-27-2015, 17:14   #13
rock_castle

Quote:
The Aurora Century Theatre is and was a "no guns" zone, so I would just not have been there. If I can't carry then I'm not going, other than an occasional trip to the post office. As has been mentioned, the "riots" we have heard about recently were all planned and expected to happen. Why would you be anywhere near there if you could help it?
Old 04-27-2015, 17:16   #14
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Amen! Exactly the real danger. Anyone can walk into a public place like a theater, mall, or other similar venue and reek havoc. in fact, these have happened here in the US and other countries. like the Westgate mall attack in Kenya and the move theater in Colorado.
Old 04-27-2015, 17:28   #15
jdavionic
NRA Member

Not this time. During the Ferguson riots, I added some to my EDC. However the threat was more widespread.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 17:29   #16
Gpruitt54

Keep in mind that the Westgate mall shooting was carried out by a few zealots carrying (I believe, fully automatic) Kalashnikov rifles. After some time, a few officers (seemingly with questionable training) went in to the mall and got their butts handed to them. In such circumstances, the smart money is to get you and yours the H*ll out of there.

Bringing a short gun to a long gun fight is asking to get dead; quickly!
Old 04-27-2015, 17:41   #17
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
No I am responding to your example. A single, non committed nut job shooter; It could have been handled by a trained person with any reasonable gun IMO. First round incoming would likely have sent him running. Yes you would not know that or should assume that, but it beats lying there waiting to be executed.
I said the situation made me reevaluate. Which means considering a real life example, that could happen again. Maybe next time the person is more committed.

Also, you assume that people running, screaming, utter chaos, that a gunman rapidly pulling the trigger is even going to notice a shot being fired? You're also assuming that in all that chaos, that you're going to be James Bond cool, fire a single round from a J Frame while being shot at and save the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_castle View Post
The Aurora Century Theatre is and was a "no guns" zone, so I would just not have been there. If I can't carry then I'm not going, other than an occasional trip to the post office.
Wow, I'm really not getting my point across. The situation made me think. What if something similar happened at a theater I happened to be at while I was armed. Sure, try to avoid the situation and all that. But what if, that's all.
Old 04-27-2015, 17:57   #18
rock_castle

Quote:
I said the situation made me reevaluate. Which means considering a real life example, that could happen again. Maybe next time the person is more committed.

Also, you assume that people running, screaming, utter chaos, that a gunman rapidly pulling the trigger is even going to notice a shot being fired? You're also assuming that in all that chaos, that you're going to be James Bond cool, fire a single round from a J Frame while being shot at and save the day.

Wow, I'm really not getting my point across. The situation made me think. What if something similar happened at a theater I happened to be at while I was armed. Sure, try to avoid the situation and all that. But what if, that's all.
Always carry, train well, and be prepared, but don't live your life in fear. It is highly unlikely that something like this is ever going to happen to you or your loved ones.
Old 04-27-2015, 19:00   #19
rv4driver

Anyone that didn't see the Baltimore situation coming is an idiot. Kinda like those in NOLA when all the weather and news outlets were warning for DAYS what was coming.
Idiots sat around waiting for the guvment to save their sorry arses.
Stupid is as stupid does.
rv4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 20:05   #20
JJ Ellerd

Yes, I have gone to hi cap autoloaders. Several incidents in the local area have had four or five subjects involved, and I did live in a nice area until recently.
JJ Ellerd is offline   Reply With Quote