Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2010, 15:59   #1
docbrazen

New Kahr P40 fails to return to battery

My friend recently got a polymer Kahr after checking out my Kahr K9. His department uses .40S&W so he decided to get a Kahr P40 as his backup sidearm. The bad thing is he's having trouble with his P40 returning to battery after each shot.

When he shoots his P40 the slide will retract and eject a round but when it returns it doesn't always properly return to battery. Often the slide will stop about 1/5 an inch before locking back up, most of the time it will slowly creep back into battery but sometimes you will have to push it back with your hand. It's well past the 200-300 round break-in period. It's weird because the recoil spring in his P40 seems weaker than my K9's recoil spring, at least it feels like it to me, not sure if that's the way it's supposed to be for a P40. We tried looking at his slide and rails and we didn't see any obvious defects jamming up the slide.

Regardless to say, he's not going to be using the Kahr for any serious work till this problem is resolved. Anyone have advice what to do to solve this problem? I think he read he could try to dremal out some of the plastic to reduce the friction, but he does not want to do that.
docbrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 19:26   #2
bayoutrigger

Get a heavier recoil spring from Wolf.
bayoutrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 00:23   #3
docbrazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoutrigger View Post
Humm.. I don't see a Wolff recoil spring for the Kahr P40. I wonder if the K40 spring will work?
docbrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:07   #4
dstewart73

Not saying this is the problem but it sounds like limp wristing.

A light weapon in a big caliber is very prone to it. Have had 2 experienced officers who carry 40's on duty have the same experience. One with a PM9 and one with a P40.

Just a thought.
dstewart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:39   #5
chance3290
Fear Dli

I've been carrying a P40 for several years and it took awhile and two trips back to Kahr to get it right.
It took a few hundred rounds to break in, but during that time if very often didn't go back into battery. Then I found out that fat bullets were causing the slide stop to engage.
It took some twicking, but it works fine now. Stick with it.
Old 03-22-2010, 17:45   #6
seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoutrigger View Post
Agreed. I had the same problem (amongst many other problems) with a used MK40 elite98 and solved the problem with a Wolff recoil spring assembly. Funny enough, the problem went away with the standard 20# set up, which with the Wolff felt much more assertive. Still, being the tinkerer I am, I stubbornly still went up to 22# and found that stout rounds were needed to make it 100% with this set-up.

On my PM9, both the original and recall replacement set-ups did not have any problems with returning to battery.
seed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
failure, ftf, kahr, out of battery, slide retraction