Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:15   #1
Glockster_221

Gun Show Ammo Question

I was at a gun show today in Sacramento and I purchased some Gold Dot Hollow Points.

Previous this, I had assumed that all factory manufactured ammo that bore the "Gold Dot" name was produced by Speer. Oh how wrong I was. I asked the guy for some 124+P, all he had were 124s. So I bought some.

The box he gave me to look at looked like a generic white box that said "9mm Gold Dots" on the cover, and I forget if it had said "Speer" on it or not.

Anyhow, I buy the damn ammo and when I get home, I open the box, look at the ammo and its all marred up and dirty. Turns out to be re-manufactured MiWall ammo with Gold Dot bullets.

I feel ripped off. I should have paid closer attention to what I was doing.

Anyhow, are these Miwall hollow-point Gold Dots any good? Should I use them for defense? I'm on a tight budget and I got them for a good price ($20 for a box of 50), but I don't want to burn through them for target practice. What kinds of velocities and energies do these bullet generate?

Last edited by Glockster_221; 03-08-2010 at 01:22..
Glockster_221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14   #2
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

I've shot thousands of Miwall reloads in 9mm and 38Spl and never had a problem. But I personally wouldn't use Miwall ammo for SD. I stick with factory ammo I'm familiar with. Ultimately it's up to you to decide if you want to rely on the ammo for SD.
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:04   #3
fredj338

Well, you were ripped off if you thought you were buying Speer GDHP. It is a buyer beware culture. You have to know what you are buying, regardless of what it is. There are opportunist out there to make a buck off the uneducted. How do you even know it's Miwall?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:19   #4
FlyBoy007
<><

Surely you did not think you were getting 50 Speer factory Gold Dots for 20 bucks, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you did think that....well what color is the sky where you live.

It sounds like a good deal fwiw, 100 GD's for sell for around 25-30 bucks, bullets only.

Last edited by FlyBoy007; 03-08-2010 at 12:28..
FlyBoy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34   #5
dreis454

I just bought 2 boxes of Speer GDs .45 230 gr for 29.95 for 50. @Ammunition to go.
Colt stainless Commander XSE w/VZ grips
S&W M&P Shield 9mm carry
Lee Enfield mkIV no2 .303 British/Remy 870
dreis454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:45   #6
James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreis454 View Post
I just bought 2 boxes of Speer GDs .45 230 gr for 29.95 for 50. @Ammunition to go.
I use ammo to go too. They are very good. The 9MM is going fast.
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 13:05   #7
got_metal

I bought 50 rounds of .40 s&w 135gr JHP for $30 at a gun show about a year ago. I hadn't seen this ammo anywhere yet, so I bought it. The seller told me they were factory Federal rounds and were NOT reloads. Come to find out later that the name stamped on the brass was not only Federal, but also Winchester and Remington mixed in. I got duped into buying reloads. So yeah its very much buyer beware at gun shows, I now check ALL ammo I buy there. I still havent tested the ammo either.
got_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 16:46   #8
Glockster_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Well, you were ripped off if you thought you were buying Speer GDHP. It is a buyer beware culture. You have to know what you are buying, regardless of what it is. There are opportunist out there to make a buck off the uneducted. How do you even know it's Miwall?
Yeah, I've learned my lesson. It says Miwall Corp. right on the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_metal View Post
I bought 50 rounds of .40 s&w 135gr JHP for $30 at a gun show about a year ago. I hadn't seen this ammo anywhere yet, so I bought it. The seller told me they were factory Federal rounds and were NOT reloads. Come to find out later that the name stamped on the brass was not only Federal, but also Winchester and Remington mixed in. I got duped into buying reloads. So yeah its very much buyer beware at gun shows, I now check ALL ammo I buy there. I still havent tested the ammo either.
That REALLY sucks, sorry to hear that, man.
Old 03-08-2010, 16:48   #9
Glockster_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy007 View Post
Surely you did not think you were getting 50 Speer factory Gold Dots for 20 bucks, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you did think that....well what color is the sky where you live.

It sounds like a good deal fwiw, 100 GD's for sell for around 25-30 bucks, bullets only.
I DID think I was getting Speer. I figured the price was knocked down because it was a gunshow and not directly from a retailer. I also thought it was 20 rounds and not 50.

After I test 20-25 rounds of this stuff in my Gen 4 G17, I'll decide whether I want to keep it as defense ammo or not. My budget is tight.
Old 03-08-2010, 17:51   #10
FlyBoy007
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockster_221 View Post
I DID think I was getting Speer. I figured the price was knocked down because it was a gunshow and not directly from a retailer. I also thought it was 20 rounds and not 50.

After I test 20-25 rounds of this stuff in my Gen 4 G17, I'll decide whether I want to keep it as defense ammo or not. My budget is tight.

Sorry about that, wisdom is knowledge born from choices, generally poor ones. Education is expansive, you are now wiser.

(you may quote me)

Tags
124, 9mm, gold dot, miwall, speer