Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2010, 21:42   #1
REA9mm
get ready

Send a message via AIM to REA9mm Send a message via Skype™ to REA9mm
New to AR's, got an odd one.

Hi fellow glocktalkers,

I am still quite new to owning firearms and have been enjoying learning about and shooting my Glock 19 for the past couple of months. This past weekend, I was invited to shoot at the house of a family friend. My wife and I got to shoot clays, an uzi, and an AR15. It was a great day.

Much to my surprise, before we left, the family friend asked if I would like to have one of his AR's. I was obviously quite shocked at this! I respectfully attempted to decline such a gracious gift, but he insisted. So, I ended up taking home his Olympic Arms OA-93 Carbine.

Now from reading just a bit on here, it seems Olympic Arms has a negative connotation, I cannot comment on that as I have not fired it. But, I was wondering if anyone with some experience could tell me about this gun. Just to reiterate, I am a definite noob when it comes to rifles, so please forgive any wrong terminology. This rifle seems to have an odd configuration as there is a recoil assembly above the hand guard and the charging lever is up above the receiver, just under the rail. I have never seen this before on an AR. I tried the common googling, but I wasn't able to find out much. If anyone can give me any info at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if you have any tips for someone new to the world of AR's, please let me know.

Last edited by REA9mm; 03-01-2010 at 21:44..
REA9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 21:58   #2
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Enjoy your new rifle. It's a non-standard AR design, but who cares? It's free!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:43   #3
wingsprint

Please allow me to place the forward and glossary of this thread:

I am sure that someone will be by here in short order to explain Olympics are not "to mil-spec".

Then the Chart will be brought to fruition of conversation.

Then Colt, BCM, and LMT will be brought up.

And then we will need to discuss M4 feed ramps and how it even matters and they effect the AR's ability to function.

The words "mil-spec" will be used 300 times.

Finally Olympic will be drug back into the mess with pictures of blown up guns posted.

The End.

The OA-93 seems to be a concept that never caught on. They are expensive rifles by the way.

Last edited by wingsprint; 03-02-2010 at 05:47..
wingsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19   #4
kabob983
"Mostly" Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by REA9mm View Post
Hi fellow glocktalkers,

I am still quite new to owning firearms and have been enjoying learning about and shooting my Glock 19 for the past couple of months. This past weekend, I was invited to shoot at the house of a family friend. My wife and I got to shoot clays, an uzi, and an AR15. It was a great day.

Much to my surprise, before we left, the family friend asked if I would like to have one of his AR's. I was obviously quite shocked at this! I respectfully attempted to decline such a gracious gift, but he insisted. So, I ended up taking home his Olympic Arms OA-93 Carbine.

Now from reading just a bit on here, it seems Olympic Arms has a negative connotation, I cannot comment on that as I have not fired it. But, I was wondering if anyone with some experience could tell me about this gun. Just to reiterate, I am a definite noob when it comes to rifles, so please forgive any wrong terminology. This rifle seems to have an odd configuration as there is a recoil assembly above the hand guard and the charging lever is up above the receiver, just under the rail. I have never seen this before on an AR. I tried the common googling, but I wasn't able to find out much. If anyone can give me any info at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if you have any tips for someone new to the world of AR's, please let me know.
Olympic Arms has sort of an odd reputation and yes, by many they are looked down upon simply because they never seem to "play by the rules." All AR-15's are essentially built to the same specifications/dimensions. Now, there's the "mil-spec" way to do it (to appease the below poster, that'll be your Colt and BCM) and companies that sort of wander from that and don't do everything exact mil-spec. But in the end you can take a Bushmaster lower receiver and put a Colt upper receiver on it and it will function properly.

With Olympic Arms that might not necessarily be true. They sort of seem to adopt their own dimensions/specs at times and won't necessarily be able to work with other brands. Also, every once in a while they have a few oddities (a friends Oly lower will not accept PMags).

As a first (and especially FREE!) AR though it'll be great. You'll get to learn the basic ins and outs of function, how to strip it, clean it, etc. I've never seen/handled an OA-93 so I can't comment on the differences, but I assume it's close enough to a traditional AR that once you learn on it you'll be able to switch over and learn on anything. Enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsprint View Post
Please allow me to place the forward and glossary of this thread:

I am sure that someone will be by here in short order to explain Olympics are not "to mil-spec".

Then the Chart will be brought to fruition of conversation.

Then Colt, BCM, and LMT will be brought up.

And then we will need to discuss M4 feed ramps and how it even matters and they effect the AR's ability to function.

The words "mil-spec" will be used 300 times.

Finally Olympic will be drug back into the mess with pictures of blown up guns posted.

The End.

The OA-93 seems to be a concept that never caught on. They are expensive rifles by the way.
Whew, thank goodness for productive posts like this, I'd hate to actually inform the guy. So what if some of those are mentioned, if it's true and he's curious why not let him know?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23   #5
djegators

Yup, and I don't see where a lot of that 'chart' and 'mil-spec' talk is all that relevant to this thread anyways. He is not chunking down hard earned cash, it was a gift. Seems like an execellent way to learn the platform, see what works and what doesn't, and what is personally needed. Most likely he will catch BRD and will be better informed when he does buy an AR, having had one to play with for a while. So, straw men notwithstanding, get that sucker to the range, and have a blast.

SHOT 2013:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
djegators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:27   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Below is a link to a site with a bunch of info about the OA-93 Carbine.

http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/oa93.htm
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:32   #7
Big Mad Dawg

Olympic arms have a history of some bad QC issues and their cast lowers had a reputation for breaking around the rear take down pin. I am sure there are more than a few Olympic owners that are satisfied with the quality. I choose to go with manufactures with better reputation but it would not stop me from taking one for free.

Why so serious

If you donít have any horses you must saddle your dogs - Dr. Saad
Big Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52   #8
REA9mm
get ready

Send a message via AIM to REA9mm Send a message via Skype™ to REA9mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Below is a link to a site with a bunch of info about the OA-93 Carbine.

http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/oa93.htm
Thanks for the link. And thanks to everyone so far for the advice. I went out yesterday and got a 30rd mag b/c it had a 20rd mag with it. I also got some .223 ammo. I don't know much about rifle ammo, so I got some red plastic tipped 60gr and some FMJ 55gr Remington.

The receiver is stamped Cal. .223 5.56. Does that mean it would be safe to shoot both calibers? Would you all recommend getting some steel core ammo, or the M855 green tip?
REA9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:52   #9
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

No problem,...glad I was able to help.
Looks like it has a 5.56mm cut chamber, so yes it's safe to shoot either.

M855 is good ammo.

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 03-02-2010 at 10:53.. Reason: need to take a typing class
Old 03-02-2010, 11:20   #10
kabob983
"Mostly" Dead

M855 is very good ammo...good luck finding a range that will let you shoot it though.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:07   #11
scottd907

I'm a owner of a olpymic arms rifle. Model k16, has been a great rifle to shoot. Iv replace the bull barrel upper with a s&w mp15 upper, and add a few windowed pmags which iv had no problems with. The OA lower fits nice on the upper and like I mentioned, no problem accepting the pmags. Great starting rifle, the black bug will set in soon enough. Cant beat a free firearm, congrads and have fun

Scott
scottd907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:19   #12
desertfox
Suspended

a lot of people talk crap about olympic. most people that talk crap about them, have never owned one. this is the internet......I have had various Olympic Arms rifles, lowers, uppers, barrels (used to build some scary accurate ARs using the Olympic SUM barrels years ago).There OK. all of them ran fine. Do I compare them with high end AR15s, no. do you pay the same amount for them, no..........oh wait, you were given a FREE rifle. take it, smile and welcome to the AR world. you have a good starter rifle for FREE. If the person that gave it to you is a Family friend, my guess is he would not give you a crappy gun that did not run.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 15:40   #13
ssfeldjager

Nothing's wrong with an Olympic rifle nowadays.

http://www.oa2.org/forums/index.php?...c08fdb4beafae5
ssfeldjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 16:31   #14
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post
M855 is very good ammo...good luck finding a range that will let you shoot it though.
Gotta be outdoors for that stuff