Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:01   #26
Rick from Kali

Glockster_221,
here is a photo of my girlfriends 10/22 that i did three years ago and i have to say that it looks just as good today as the day i finished it. the DuraCoat finish is very durable. they also have a bake-on DuraCoat finish which i am going use on a 1911 of mine in the spring. the trick in makinging the finish stick well is to bead blast the piece with 120 grit aluminum oxide which is what i did. so when you get back down this way during one of your breaks and you finally have picked out the color you want i can finish your pistol for you no charge. all you have to do is supply the DuraCoat. would take about a week to do. call me on the phone if interested.
Rick
Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing

Last edited by Rick from Kali; 02-21-2010 at 12:04..
Rick from Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 13:58   #27
Glockster_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick from Kali View Post
Glockster_221,
here is a photo of my girlfriends 10/22 that i did three years ago and i have to say that it looks just as good today as the day i finished it. the DuraCoat finish is very durable. they also have a bake-on DuraCoat finish which i am going use on a 1911 of mine in the spring. the trick in makinging the finish stick well is to bead blast the piece with 120 grit aluminum oxide which is what i did. so when you get back down this way during one of your breaks and you finally have picked out the color you want i can finish your pistol for you no charge. all you have to do is supply the DuraCoat. would take about a week to do. call me on the phone if interested.
Rick
Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing
Nice work on that 10/22. I appreciate the offer, I'll think about it, even though I'm pretty set on Oakridge Custom Finishing.
Glockster_221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:09   #28
Glockster_221

I've decided that I'm going to get the frame coated in Desert Beige. The slide, trigger, slide release, take down levers, and pins on the top will be in black. The mag button and mag wells will also be in Desert Beige. It's going to look GORGEOUS.

Rick: did you do ALL those colors yourself or just the barrel? Simply outstanding!
Glockster_221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:31   #29
gatorhugger

the old cliche- there are so many things wrong with this thread

Color swatches
Complaining about 4 bucks. I think I tip more than that at lunch. BIG DEAL.
Saying how a gun will look GORGEOUS.

There goes the neighborhood
gatorhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:33   #30
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockster_221 View Post
I've been extremely interested in DuraCoating my future Gen. 4 G17 in a light beige color. I have searched the internet with a fine-tooth comb of all the pictures of guns coated in Desert Beige with DuraCoat. There are quite a few, to my surprise. I have put in 6 hours in comparing and contrasting the DuraCoat colors on the Lauer Weaponry website.

I did some posting and private messaging and I found out about some reputable guys who are professional DuraCoaters. I found a guy that I like (I was recommended to him by a cool dude here on GT). This is it: http://www.oakridgecustomfinishing.com/index.html.

Anyhow, someone PMed me and told me to contact Lauer Weaponry directly as I couldn't quite find the particular shade of beige I wanted. I e-mailed Lauer Weaponry and they were eager to send me 10 samples of duracoated paper in the colors of my choice, ABSOLUTELY free. I was thrilled. I put in my order and they arrived in the mail today.

I am sorely, sorely disappointed. The colors on the paper look almost nothing like they do on the website. ACU Light Tan, a very light beige color on the website, has a notable green hue to it. Magpul FDE looks NOTHING like the actual Flat Dark Earth Magpul produces. The color from Duracoat looks like a fresh morning dung instead of a brown/beige color.

Multi beige looks downright brown. The only one that seemed OK was Tactical Desert Beige, but far too dark. I will post pics soon.

I then contacted LW to order some more samples at $.25 a piece. This was fine and fair, but they wanted $4 for shipping. Bull crap! The envelope I received the samples in today has a postage sticker of $1.90 on it! This was the second disappointment from LW.

I replied and stipulated that I only pay $1.90 for the shipping plus the samples I wanted. They have yet to reply.

Don't get me wrong, most of the DuraCoated firearms I've seen on the Internet look absolutely fantastic, and I fully intend to DuraCoat my weapon. The color samples are disappointing and their advertisement misleading, is all.

Comments, thoughts?
A computer monitor screen's color is NOT accurate unless you have it calibrated to some known and accepted standard, the last time I check the device was $500.00.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:07   #31
guns54
toni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhugger View Post
the old cliche- there are so many things wrong with this thread

Color swatches
Complaining about 4 bucks. I think I tip more than that at lunch. BIG DEAL.
Saying how a gun will look GORGEOUS.

There goes the neighborhood
by the bus boys in 1980.
Old 02-23-2010, 14:50   #32
doc540

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I went the no-brainer route:
Gunsmithing
doc540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:17   #33
blackdevil

duracoat is ok, but i switched to cerakote.on a piece ofsprayed paper. the color will be different. same goes for a piece of sprayed pvc.all colors will vary.did they take gun back, and re do for you.i would.louis blackdevil firearms. 561 635 0000.
blackdevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desert beige, duracoat, lauer weaponry, tactical