Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:06   #1
Glockster_221

Epic fishing fail. Please help.

So today I went fishing with my friends. Well, if you can call it that. We had been planning to go for a week now, and I was very stoked.

Now, I've only been fishing once before and my experience is pretty much nill.

Anyhow, we get there and I am given a $5 pink fishing pole from Target. My friend threads the pole and attaches bait. What was the bait? Corn. CORN. Of all things, she put corn on the hook. Yes, it was bait corn, but come on!

I try my hand at casting but fail miserably, multiple times. Yes, you can attribute it to lack of skills, but I think it was partially the $5 fishing pole. The reel just didn't work properly with the momentum, it was very finicky. Of course the line got tangled and I had to cut it and start over.

There were several times the reel wouldn't pull the string in when I turned the lever.

Add to this, we left at 4 in the afternoon, and around this time of year, the sun sets at five!! What kind of horrible planning is that? Not only this, but the "creek" we fish at is more like a sewage exhaust system. The water is mucky as hell, and probably not very deep. I would be surprised if there is anything alive under that water. Furthermore, the creek is inlined with nothing but heavy brush and thick foilage, so she had me stand in the middle of the creek, on a concrete dam about 3 or so feet in width...

She basically sets up my fishing pole and leaves to another spot with her boyfriend.

I had never felt so unprepared and ill-equipped in my life. What a horrible experience and a waste of $13 for a day's fishing license.

I am a big believer in either doing something right or not bothering at all. What needed to happen today was the following: we needed actual fishing equipment that works, proper bait and the right strength fishing line, we needed people with experience and teaching ability, and an actual place where fish live. Not to mention a comfortable location in which to fish, instead of a concrete balance beam.

God, these people are my dear friends whom I dearly love, but I am NEVER doing anything out-of-doors with them ever again without the presence of some people who know what the hell they are doing.

I absolutely love and adore the beauty and tranquility of the outdoors, but have extremely limited experience. I want all that to change, however. I would like the skillsets of an outdoors adventurer, and this is why today was such a major disappointment and failure.

I would like to hear thoughts please. And some advice about fishing and fishing equipment. I want something of high quality without breaking the bank.

Thanks a lot, guys.

<!--EndFragment-->

Last edited by Glockster_221; 02-01-2010 at 17:06..
Glockster_221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:18   #2
pgg00

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:20   #3
Glockster_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgg00 View Post

I'm terribly sorry but we didn't take any pictures. I wish we had. That pink fishing pole will rob any man of his man points in a heartbeat.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:23   #4
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Your bound ta have a local fishing club in your area,look online and start there.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:25   #5
Glockster_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Your bound ta have a local fishing club in your area,look online and start there.'08.
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:03   #6
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

Tell your friends that you want to go snipe hunting next time.

You'll save a lot of money on equipment.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:31   #7
Glockster_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post

As I've said, I don't trust them with outdoor equipment/knowledge. They will probably hand me a HiPoint.
Old 02-01-2010, 20:56   #8
Rutha73

The fishing club is a good idea. I have also found good advice at sporting good stores, if you can find a small local one that would be a good place to start. Sometimes you can get good advise at the chains, but don't count on it. As for equipment, it depends on what type of fishing you do. The easiest to start with would either be a spincasting or spinning reel IMOH. The rods can be anywhere from a 5' ultralight to a 6'6" medium/heavy action, the one you get depends on the water you fish. That said, I have used my 6'6" med/fast for almost everything (just make sure you learn how much power to put behind cast so you aren't throwing the lure into the bushes on the other side of the river). And brands, there are so many out there its amazing. I have really liked Abu Garcia, Shimano, and Shakespeare. I hope you can get some friends that know what they are doing to help you out, Fishing is so much fun!
Old 02-01-2010, 21:10   #9
Glockster_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutha73 View Post
The fishing club is a good idea. I have also found good advice at sporting good stores, if you can find a small local one that would be a good place to start. Sometimes you can get good advise at the chains, but don't count on it. As for equipment, it depends on what type of fishing you do. The easiest to start with would either be a spincasting or spinning reel IMOH. The rods can be anywhere from a 5' ultralight to a 6'6" medium/heavy action, the one you get depends on the water you fish. That said, I have used my 6'6" med/fast for almost everything (just make sure you learn how much power to put behind cast so you aren't throwing the lure into the bushes on the other side of the river). And brands, there are so many out there its amazing. I have really liked Abu Garcia, Shimano, and Shakespeare. I hope you can get some friends that know what they are doing to help you out, Fishing is so much fun!
Thanks a lot, man.
Old 02-01-2010, 21:30   #10
Rutha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockster_221 View Post
Thanks a lot, man.
No problem. Another thing I just thought of is that at most sporting goods stores they have fishing reports posted, I go to Sportsmans Warehouse near me and they have a big white board right by the door with fishing reports on it. I think you can also check out your state's game and fish website and get info on where the fish are biting. See what waters are producing and look them up on yahoo maps or google earth. And your state Atlas and Gazateer are a good source for finding lakes and rivers. I have found that asking other fisherman out on the water is useless, no one wants to give up thier valuable "inside" info on what the fish are biting on.
Old 02-01-2010, 21:33   #11
Manofprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post

I went snipe hunting I almost caught one too
Florida Glocker #1108

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Manofprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:36   #12
CitizenOfDreams

I think you missed the whole idea of a fishing trip.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:25   #13
Glockster_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
I think you missed the whole idea of a fishing trip.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping
EXACTLY! This is what it's all about. This is why I was so disappointed/unsatisfied.

You guys look like a close bunch. I'm glad you all had a good time.
ETA: I thought I was the only one who wears flip flips with socks. Now, am I the only one who wears thong-style flip flops with socks?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:55   #14
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

You wear a thong.'08.

TKM,is was pulling your chain about the "snipe" hunt thing.You don't really hunt "snipes",ya bait them inta traps.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:10   #15
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockster_221 View Post
EXACTLY! This is what it's all about. This is why I was so disappointed/unsatisfied.
Well, bring enough vodka and a good friend to your next fishing trip! Fishing poles and bait optional.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:56   #16
vafish

Sounds like you need a better class of friends. If not one with a boat, at least one that can spend $40 on a fishing pole.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 14:01   #17
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

Quote:
You wear a thong.'08.

TKM,is was pulling your chain about the "snipe" hunt thing.You don't really hunt "snipes",ya bait them inta traps.
Well, duhh. Somebody has to watch the trap.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 18:18   #18
Glockster_221

Quote:
You wear a thong.'08.

Hahaha. I know you were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Well, bring enough vodka and a good friend to your next fishing trip! Fishing poles and bait optional.
Good call. We brought some Blue Moon with us, but we didn't drink any because any subtle movement would've landed us in that mucky water.. Of course we consumed the precious liquid when we went back home. It was delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Sounds like you need a better class of friends. If not one with a boat, at least one that can spend $40 on a fishing pole.
-1. The skillsets and/or financial statuses that my friends may or may not have, have absolutely no bearing on them as people. I love the friends I have (which include the ones I went with), they just had crappy equipment and crappy knowledge.
Old 02-03-2010, 23:07   #19
gatorboy

Sorry you did'nt get one. I enjoyed the story though! Remember it's called fishing and not catching for a reason. Don't forget the beer either.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:22   #20
Glockster_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
Sorry you did'nt get one. I enjoyed the story though! Remember it's called fishing and not catching for a reason. Don't forget the beer either.
=)

We didn't, we had brought some Blue Moon with us.

Thanks.

Tags
advice, bad experience, fail, fishing, outdoors