Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:46   #1
DoctaGlockta

Reloading Aluminum 45ACP Cases

I fired a reloaded Aluminum 45ACP case today at the range without incident.

I used a once fired Blazer case, a Remington small rifle primer, and a 200g MG plated flat nose bullet sitting on top of 6.0 grains of Unique. This was loaded on my LNL AP.

It was shot out of a G36. Fed from the magazine into the chamber perfectly and fired properly. I did not chronograph the round. The case ejected and looks to be in the same shape as it had before it was fired.

I'm not going to get in the habit of doing this all the time. But I wanted to find out in a pinch if all I had was aluminum cases that I could manufacture functioning ammunition (think SHTF scenario). I'm not advocating that anyone else do this.

If anyone else here had done the same thing please comment and share your experiences. Thanks. Art

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:25   #2
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Aren't Blaser aluminum cases Berdan primed? Remington doesn't make Berdan primers. What am I missing here?

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:33   #3
hdbob

I always thought you Dont reload them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
I fired a reloaded Aluminum 45ACP case today at the range without incident.

I used a once fired Blazer case, a Remington small rifle primer, and a 200g MG plated flat nose bullet sitting on top of 6.0 grains of Unique. This was loaded on my LNL AP.

It was shot out of a G36. Fed from the magazine into the chamber perfectly and fired properly. I did not chronograph the round. The case ejected and looks to be in the same shape as it had before it was fired.

I'm not going to get in the habit of doing this all the time. But I wanted to find out in a pinch if all I had was aluminum cases that I could manufacture functioning ammunition (think SHTF scenario). I'm not advocating that anyone else do this.

If anyone else here had done the same thing please comment and share your experiences. Thanks. Art
hdbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:38   #4
manderson525

Would you explain how you did this?
manderson525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:06   #5
Glock2008
Gun User

I've reloaded a single round of .223 remington into some boxer primed steel cases. As with your experience it worked fine.
Glock2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:16   #6
PCJim

Although not an expert on this by any means,

but I believe the problem with reloading aluminum casings is that the "springback" is not the same as with a brass case, thus it is more difficult for the case to get a proper purchase on the bullet to keep from incurring bullet setback. There also may be a longevity issue - those aluminum cases will not hold up to the repeated reloadings of brass cases.

You did not say whether this was a single bullet inserted into a magazine and fired as such. A better gauge of whether the practice could be sustainable in your scenario would be to insert it first in the magazine, followed by additional rounds to max capacity. Fire all rounds except the aluminum cased round, remove it and check for bullet setback after experiencing the recoil of the weapon.

I suppose that an alternative solution might be to use a very little bit of crimp to help hold the bullet in place.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:27   #7
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
but I believe the problem with reloading aluminum casings is that the "springback" is not the same as with a brass case, thus it is more difficult for the case to get a proper purchase on the bullet to keep from incurring bullet setback. There also may be a longevity issue - those aluminum cases will not hold up to the repeated reloadings of brass cases.

You did not say whether this was a single bullet inserted into a magazine and fired as such. A better gauge of whether the practice could be sustainable in your scenario would be to insert it first in the magazine, followed by additional rounds to max capacity. Fire all rounds except the aluminum cased round, remove it and check for bullet setback after experiencing the recoil of the weapon.

I suppose that an alternative solution might be to use a very little bit of crimp to help hold the bullet in place.
Your taking great risk reloading aluminum cases. You are work hardening the case each time you resize it. Aluminum cases are heat treated prior to loading them new at the factory. Firing them once changes the crystaline grain structure of the metal, then resizing them does so once again, making them more brittle. Just one reloading alone flaring and then crimping the case would seriouslly weaken the case. NOT good.....
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:46   #8
dogmower

firing reloaded aluminum cases

i did the same experiment about 20 years ago. same result. it was a cci berdan primed aluminum case. just used the regular desizer and knocked out the primer (made a new hole in the base of the case), and reloaded as normal.
it loaded and fired just like a brass cased round.
i only did it once, just to see if it would work.
i don't reccomend doing it, however, just because we got lucky, doesn't mean the practice is safe.
lefty.
ha-ha, just kidding.
dogmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00   #9
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Loading Berdan primed brass is not difficult... it's just a pain in the butt and not worth the trouble.

You simply need a Berdan de-capping tool and the appropriate sized Berdan primers. Both items are still for sale and available. (Boxer style primers will not function in Berdan brass)

It can be done easily... but why would you?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:09   #10
Bultx1215

I tried it with 9mm and a bunny fart load. Worked just fine. Mine were Boxer primed, too. I lightly crimped them and had zero setback. Shot them reloaded one time only and then cleaned and inspected them for cracks etc out of curiosity....and then pitched them. The experiment was over. I have several thousand brass cases waiting and really don't need to be worrying with the alu cases anymore.........although I do save them still because you just never know.
Bultx1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:22   #11
PBKing

No aluminum thru my dies. No way.

Interesting read though, thanks
PBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:04   #12
mteagle1

For your SHTF scenerio you can do as I did and acquire enough brass, primers, bullets and powder to last through the conflict.
101st Airborne 1957-60
USAF 1961-80 Retired
mteagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:28   #13
Colorado4Wheel

Seriously, Your SHTF shooting needs should have ultra reliable ammo. All you need is a blood trail from your own gun hand to lead the Zombies straight to your secret bunker. I'm not letting that happen to me. No way.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:37   #14
jaybirdjtt

I drove without my seatbelt fastened and nothing happened. Reloading has enough variables to worry about and brass is the cheapest component! 45 ACP is a low pressure round so you got away with it. I figure my cost for 45 ACP brass to be $.0085 to .015 per round max allowing for losing a few or bad brass. Powder runs around 2.2 cents or less.
Save money on bullets instead!
jaybirdjtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 13:17   #15
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

If you search, both aluminum and steel have been reloaded with the results documented here in the past.
Old 01-14-2010, 13:22   #16
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post
Aren't Blaser aluminum cases Berdan primed? Remington doesn't make Berdan primers. What am I missing here?

WP
Now they are boxer primed. Thanks for all the feedback and discussion.

- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 01-14-2010, 13:22   #17
jaybirdjtt

Just wondering.....can you recycle them with the aluminum cans? I'm going to check because they are always getting pitched at the range. Then I can afford to buy some new Starline brass instead of bags of mixed range cases. I still bend over to pick up pennies and soda cans also. "Born to Reload!" Hmmm. Could be a hit song!?
jaybirdjtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 13:23   #18
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Ron1 View Post
If you search, both aluminum and steel have been reloaded with the results documented here in the past.
Did the search. Didn't find much here but elsewhere on the internets. Yes it has been done before. I'm not claiming to be the first.

- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 01-14-2010, 13:25   #19
PBKing

I gave it some thought and I guess I'll just have to save my
last Brass Case for me. After all...is there life after brass???

Last edited by PBKing; 01-14-2010 at 13:59..
Old 01-14-2010, 14:03   #20
PBKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Ron1 View Post
If you search,

No offense to DoctaGlockta

Last edited by PBKing; 01-14-2010 at 14:23..