Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:54   #151
matteblack

Advantage Arms Kit???

Here's a picture from the closed Ed's Public Safety thread. The top receiver is a 4th Gen and lower is a 3rd. It seems that other then the opening of the dust cover the receivers are the same as far as locking block, slide rail locations etc.

The Advantage Arms .22lr kits SHOULD work, right?

Last edited by matteblack; 02-17-2010 at 10:59..
matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 13:16   #152
minkis18

matteblack, thanks for the pic! If you asked me the conversion slide should still work, but it looks like the end of the slide will have some extra space around it.

is it just me or is the gen4 slide slightly wider?
minkis18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 13:18   #153
matteblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkis18 View Post
matteblack, thanks for the pic! If you asked me the conversion slide should still work, but it looks like the end of the slide will have some extra space around it.

is it just me or is the gen4 slide slightly wider?
Yeah, I think it should work as well. Hopefully someone will try it and let all of us know. They are the same width...
Old 01-13-2010, 14:48   #154
Ranger357
Just pixels

Just FYI if anyones interested,

I sent in an "Individual Officer" order for a Gen4 to OMB last week (called to make sure I could, as it was not an option on the order form at that time, they said fine).

Got a message this afternoon they had called my office to confirm some shipping issue and that it should be in the truck going out tommorow.
Ranger357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 15:16   #155
matteblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger357 View Post
Just FYI if anyones interested,

I sent in an "Individual Officer" order for a Gen4 to OMB last week (called to make sure I could, as it was not an option on the order form at that time, they said fine).

Got a message this afternoon they had called my office to confirm some shipping issue and that it should be in the truck going out tommorow.
Thats great. I'm planning to do it once the Gen 4 G19's are available. Did you simply supply a check and a signed FFL with it?
Old 01-13-2010, 15:25   #156
Ranger357
Just pixels

No I work for a State Parole Agency, we get a letter signed off and mail order in with Credit card info, and they just ship direct to Office. Can only do it with pistols approved for carry as part of your job.
Ranger357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 13:53   #157
weagle

First pictures of the Gen 4 17.

Weagle

Valuable InfoValuable Info
Certified Glock Armorer/GSSF Lifetime Member
weagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:50   #158
Magus
Deo Vindice

I've tried to skim through the 7 pages of posts in this thread, but can anyone confirm if Glock is doing away with Gen 3 models all together? I hope not.

The Gen 4's look okay, but I'm not seeing anything earth-shattering in terms of improvements. About the only true advantage I see for the Gen 4's are the dual recoil system, which I do wish Glock would've made backwards compatible for the Gen 3's.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Gen 4, but I'm really not seeing much here that makes me feel like I need to ditch my Gen 3's and "upgrade."

I understand Glock feels the need to be competitive with the M&P's and XD's, but the changes really seem pretty superficial to me. Think I'll cling fast to my Gen 3 models for now unless someone convinces me otherwise.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:54   #159
FloridaCCW

Gen 3's are still being made and sold
FloridaCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:57   #160
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadduck357 View Post
I'm with you, my 3rd Gen is blk and I want the 4th in OD

I had heard that Glock was doing away with OD's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 13:11   #161
onalandline
Me Got Gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCCW View Post
Gen 3's are still being made and sold
I hope they are. I am going to order a G 19 RTF2. I wonder if prices will come down on the Gen 3's when the Gen 4's hit the market in full swing?
Old 01-16-2010, 14:53   #162
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
I've tried to skim through the 7 pages of posts in this thread, but can anyone confirm if Glock is doing away with Gen 3 models all together? I hope not.

The Gen 4's look okay, but I'm not seeing anything earth-shattering in terms of improvements. About the only true advantage I see for the Gen 4's are the dual recoil system, which I do wish Glock would've made backwards compatible for the Gen 3's.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Gen 4, but I'm really not seeing much here that makes me feel like I need to ditch my Gen 3's and "upgrade."

I understand Glock feels the need to be competitive with the M&P's and XD's, but the changes really seem pretty superficial to me. Think I'll cling fast to my Gen 3 models for now unless someone convinces me otherwise.
Even if they did completely do away with the earlier generations, I am sure there are enough Glocks on the street that you will still be able to find the older models for at least the next 20 or 30 years or so. If you don't want to upgrade, I wouldn't worry about it.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:10   #163
AgentM79
Platinum Membership

I think Glock will take a "wait and see" approach to see which guns are really selling. The Gen3 RTF2 guns are good, but shooters seem to prefer the Gen 3's. Whether or not Glock's customer base accepts the Gen4 or not remains to be seen. Noone REALLY knows what percentage of new gun purchasers would choose a Gen4 Glock over a Gen3 Glock or other manufacturer's model (i.e. SIG, S&W, or SA/XD). Even when Glock brought out the Gen3 guns, it was just a new frame shape (same internals), a much-improved slide finish (same internals, but with the LCI extractors), and Glock-brand Night sights available. They also re-designed mag followers. Nothing really major, but the Gen3's became the "benchmark".

Glock's SF models have been a mixed bag. The 21SF with the ambi-mag release was stillborn, and the G30SF's issues have been the subject of much discussion here. I think Glock is onto a good thing with the SF concept, and I don't see these guns going away.

The Gen4 offers the interchangeable backstraps and an improved recoil spring arrangement. Whether or not shooters who buy Glock pistols will want interchangeable backstraps is impossible to predict. What the Glock brand represents to shooters is simplicity and utilitarianism. Would a shooter selecting a new pistol choose a Glock Gen4 over an S&W M&P if both guns offered interchangeable backstraps? Or would that same customer select a Gen3 Glock over the M&P because they wanted a Glock, or the M&P because they wanted something that wasn't a Glock? In other words, will the market ever perceive a Glock pistol - no matter what it's feature list (Gen3, Gen4, RTF2) -as anything other that a Gen3 Glock, because of the image that Glock's brand-name represents? It will be a few years before we know the answer.

I think Glock's top priority should be to fix the LE market issues with the .40 G22 and G23 - decisively curing the malfunction issue with rail-mounted lights. If it takes a Gen4 design to do that, then so be it. The interchangeable backstraps will take care of Officer hand-size issues. The gun will still present all of Glock's existing advantages - easy armorer maintenance, no factory-only repairs, low parts-count, and extreme durability. Regardless of what Glock does with the Gen4, though, their primary competitors will be S&W and SigSauer. The M&P offers something Glock cannot - a magazine disconnect safety, and non-trigger-pull disassembly. SigSauer also offers something Glock cannot - optional trigger actions (DA/SA, DAK, DAO), and non-trigger-pull disassembly. SigSauer also offers a new product line with interchangeable grip frames (the P250), going WAY beyond interchangeable backstraps.

It's a three-horse race now. I'm excited.
Smith & Wesson 13-2, 16-3, 36, 66-3, 681-3, 3000
Tactical Shotgun Club Member #3000
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 19:48   #164
9mmdude

From a closed thread: "I called Glock and asked them whether the barrels are interchangeable between 3rd and 4th. They told me that they are not."

I guess that rules out changing your G22 Gen 4 to a .357 sig. That is a bummer!
9mmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 21:56   #165
DVDADM

Question do you think i lucked out getting a 4th gen 22 with the serial #xxx000??

Sold-G17,OD G17,G34,G26,4th Gen G22,XD9,XD40,Kimber Tactical 2,HK USPc 45
DVDADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 22:00   #166
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDADM View Post
Question do you think i lucked out getting a 4th gen 22 with the serial #xxx000??
Sure! Only one person in a thousand gets that number.....with a different prefix.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 22:01   #167
DVDADM

Does anyone know what prefixs there doing just so i can get an idea.

Sold-G17,OD G17,G34,G26,4th Gen G22,XD9,XD40,Kimber Tactical 2,HK USPc 45
DVDADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:52   #168
JCROWNII

Does anyone know when I will be able to purchase a Gen4 Glock 22? How much will they be running for the public?

Also, I heard that FHP is going with the Gen4 Glock 37. I would love to own a Gen4 Glock 37. Do you know when these will come out? I know it will be 17/22, 19/23,.... Anyone know when it will hit the GAP's or maybe even the subcompact models?
Glock 22 .40 S&W, Glock 27 .40 S&W, BCM 14.5" Mid-Length AR15, Nighthawk Custom Remington 870
JCROWNII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 19:00   #169
william_h

I'd also be curious to the answer of which parts interchange and if the AA kits will work.
william_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:39   #170
matteblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_h View Post
I'd also be curious to the answer of which parts interchange and if the AA kits will work.

A Glock LE rep told me that the Advantage Arms kits will NOT work with the Gen 4 receivers unfortunately.

Hopefully AA is on it and comes out with a new kit ASAP.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:58   #171
william_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
A Glock LE rep told me that the Advantage Arms kits will NOT work with the Gen 4 receivers unfortunately.

Somehow I don't see AA coming out with a new kit any time soon. They can't seem to make enough of the current kits.

Oh well, I still plan to get a Gen 4 17, I'll just keep my Gen 3 with the .22 conversion.
william_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 14:48   #172
ewok2

Will there be a Gen 4 with the RTF2 grip, and fish gill sides?

I like that look, but would like the new recoil spring system.
ewok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 14:54   #173
Bluecard
GUNDWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblack View Post

Probably because the change in the recoil spring assembly and it's size..
Bluecard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 13:32   #174
2nd2none

Anyone know if the Gen 4 magazine catch will fit in the Gen 3 frames with modification to the Gen 3 frame by cutting a bigger hole in it. I called Glock they said you can't...It doesn't make sense to me unless the Gen 3 whole is bigger then the Gen 4 on the right side,which come to think of it, it might be what I think he said, I was distracted and not fully paying attention...
Old 01-25-2010, 14:11   #175
7.62FMJ

I like the idea of the interchangeable backstrap but they should have gone with SF as medium, then standard, then damn near flat.

I hate the little "dots" instead of the traditional blocks/checkered.

Not sure why they changed the guiderod design, doesn't seem to add anything.

I give it a Meh out 10.

Tags
barrel, fourth, gen4, generation, glock 17, glock od, olive drab