GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 18:02   #201
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm
 
Rusty Shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,050


Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgoten214 View Post
Oh, well I have a Glock 17 amphibious kit. Will the maritime spring cups work with it as well?
Not sure. I know the Gen4 works with the usual aftermarket wolff firing pin springs, so my GUESS would be that there is no change to those parts and the spring cups should be the same.

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 02-19-2010 at 18:06..
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 21:41   #202
Angel King
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 420
My department issues the G22 gen 3 as do innumerable other agencies. How is the move to a Gen4 going to effect these agencies reference obtaining parts etc. as the Gen3's get worn?

I read the parts are not interchangable.
__________________
An eagle does not capture flys
Angel King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 22:06   #203
minkis18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 272
There will be plenty of parts for a while. Some things will be backwards compatible but I suspect departments will eventually start issuing Gen4s when they need replacing.
minkis18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 23:02   #204
Angel King
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 420
I agree. But for me, the jury is still out on the double spring recoil system. I can only imagine it's an improvement, but I don't think I have ever heard about any problems with the Glock's Gen1-3 single spring system.

It makes scense on a sub compact since one short length spring by itself may not be enough, but on a full size? I'll wait just a bit to see how it functions in the real world before pickin one up.
__________________
An eagle does not capture flys
Angel King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 23:57   #205
minkis18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 272
yea I'm not sure why the switch, but from what I've heard so far, it works. Heck, XDs have a dual recoil system, though XDm switched to a non-captive single spring (not sure about the 3.8" I didn't even think about it when I saw them in the shop). I guess it's just one of those things companies like to change.
minkis18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:21   #206
Angel King
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 420
Who knows maybe it's just the current trend.

But I do trust in the boys working in Gaston's little shop.

I do believe they thourghly test new products before putting thier reputation/and lives on the line.
__________________
An eagle does not capture flys
Angel King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:25   #207
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
BuckyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 9,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAHLAVAN View Post
I agree. But for me, the jury is still out on the double spring recoil system. I can only imagine it's an improvement, but I don't think I have ever heard about any problems with the Glock's Gen1-3 single spring system.
Numerous threads about issues with Gen 3 G22s with lights hanging on them. From what I understand, the new recoil spring is to help address that. I guess time will tell.
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:34   #208
Angel King
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 420
Perhaps the weight of the light system off balanced the front end enough to off balance it. Never heard of any issues without the light and personally, never experienced any problems with the light on it myself.
__________________
An eagle does not capture flys
Angel King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:54   #209
Ramos7849
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3
any word on when the gen 4 glock 19 will be released?
Ramos7849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46   #210
onalandline
Me Got Gun!
 
onalandline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Land of the free.
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos7849 View Post
any word on when the gen 4 glock 19 will be released?
I heard around June/July.
__________________
Support Our Troops!
onalandline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:03   #211
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm
 
Rusty Shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,050


I've seen a lot of claims and concerns regarding the Gen4 killing compatibility in Glock's lineup, and I finally got around to fully stripping and swapping parts myself and added the posted experience of another GT member to get a full list.

Parts compatibility between 3rd and 4th Gen:

I have personally swapped (G22):

KKM Gen3 barrel
Firing Pin/spring
Spacer Sleeve
Spring Cups
Firing Pin Safety/spring
Extractor
Extractor Depressor plunger/spring
Spring Loaded Bearing
Slide Cover Plate
Rear Sight
Front Sight
Slide Lock/spring
Locking Block
Connector
Slide Stop Lever(extended)
Trigger w/trigger bar
Trigger spring

That leaves the incompatible parts at:

1) Slide
2) Recoil Spring Assembly
3) Magazine Catch/spring
4) Trigger Mechanism Housing

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 03-03-2010 at 10:23..
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:44   #212
Noponer
Senior Member
 
Noponer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
I've seen a lot of claims and concerns regarding the Gen4 killing compatibility in Glock's lineup, and I finally got around to fully stripping and swapping parts myself and added the posted experience of another GT member to get a full list.

Parts compatibility between 3rd and 4th Gen:

I have personally swapped (G22):

KKM Gen3 barrel
Firing Pin/spring
Spacer Sleeve
Spring Cups
Firing Pin Safety/spring
Extractor
Extractor Depressor plunger/spring
Spring Loaded Bearing
Slide Cover Plate
Rear Sight
Front Sight
Slide Lock/spring
Locking Block
Connector
Slide Stop Lever(extended)

JBP55 has swapped (G17):

Trigger w/trigger bar
Trigger mechanism housing w/ejector
Trigger Spring

That leaves the incompatible parts at:

1) Slide
2) Recoil Spring Assembly
3) Magazine Catch/spring
I thought the Gen 4's barrel lug has (& needs) a larger notch for the recoil spring guide rod.

Also, how can the Gen 3 trigger housing fit in the Gen 4 frame when its housing has been reduced at the bottom like SF models... because the frame grip area was reduced?
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:17   #213
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm
 
Rusty Shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,050


Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
I thought the Gen 4's barrel lug has (& needs) a larger notch for the recoil spring guide rod.

Also, how can the Gen 3 trigger housing fit in the Gen 4 frame when its housing has been reduced at the bottom like SF models... because the frame grip area was reduced?
I've posted at least a dozen times regarding the barrel, probably several of which are in this thread.

After double-checking with JBP55, he forgot to mention that he'd "modified" his trigger mechanism housing.

If parts require any modification at all, I don't count them as compatible.

I have verified the other swaps myself (trigger bar, trigger, and trigger spring) and corrected the original post.

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 03-03-2010 at 10:32..
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 16:38   #214
Noponer
Senior Member
 
Noponer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
I've posted at least a dozen times regarding the barrel, probably several of which are in this thread.

After double-checking with JBP55, he forgot to mention that he'd "modified" his trigger mechanism housing.

If parts require any modification at all, I don't count them as compatible.

I have verified the other swaps myself (trigger bar, trigger, and trigger spring) and corrected the original post.

Rusty -

Sorry I missed your post about the barrel. So they are not the same, but will "work", per your tests.

In looking for your comment about the barrel, I noticed you said that the new guide rod/spring assembly is "all steel". Isn't the rod itself plastic as in the sub-compact models?
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:43   #215
njl
Senior Member
 
njl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 9,576
Maybe I'm out of the loop having not bought a new Glock for several years, but on the two I bought yesterday (only one of which is a Gen4), the front sights look like they're plastic, but instead of the old pin press fit to spread the bottom of the sight, there's a small screw (looks just like the ones used by the Meprolight night sights I've installed on other Glocks) holding the front sight...and it looks like that screw extends all the way up to the top of the front sight. Has this been standard for a while?
__________________
what guns?
Lifetime GSSF & NRA.
njl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 14:56   #216
minkis18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
Maybe I'm out of the loop having not bought a new Glock for several years, but on the two I bought yesterday (only one of which is a Gen4), the front sights look like they're plastic, but instead of the old pin press fit to spread the bottom of the sight, there's a small screw (looks just like the ones used by the Meprolight night sights I've installed on other Glocks) holding the front sight...and it looks like that screw extends all the way up to the top of the front sight. Has this been standard for a while?
yep. I'm not sure when exactly but I think all gen3+ have new screw on sights. Smart more in my opinion.
minkis18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 23:27   #217
njl
Senior Member
 
njl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 9,576
I guess they improved the front but took a step back on the rear. I shot my Gen4 17 today...and like most (but not all) Glocks, it hit to the left for me. I used my MGW pusher to drift the rear to the right a bit, then decided to pop it out and maybe try a Glock adjustable rear I had left over from another gun. While trying to push the rear sight out, it began to deform and basically tore apart on the way out. The metal bit that helps hold it in place was left behind and had to be tapped out with a punch and my Brownells gunsmith hammer.

I've replaced factory sights (typically for night sights) on probably a dozen or more Glocks for myself, family, and friends, and never seen that happen before. Fortunately, I always keep parts...so I just slid in another (older) Glock rear fixed sight. If it's a keeper, it'll end up getting night sights anyway.
__________________
what guns?
Lifetime GSSF & NRA.
njl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:03   #218
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm
 
Rusty Shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,050


Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
Rusty -

Sorry I missed your post about the barrel. So they are not the same, but will "work", per your tests.

In looking for your comment about the barrel, I noticed you said that the new guide rod/spring assembly is "all steel". Isn't the rod itself plastic as in the sub-compact models?
The new one is all steel and is totally different from the ones currently in Gen3 subcompacts. Not sure why they did this.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:05   #219
Forgoten214
Senior Member
 
Forgoten214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States, PA/NJ/NYC
Posts: 3,058
Send a message via AIM to Forgoten214 Send a message via Yahoo to Forgoten214
Does anyone know when the Glock 20 Gen4 will be out?
__________________
"Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock." - Tommy Lee Jones [US Marshalls]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Forgoten214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 14:37   #220
pitmanr2003
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
want a gen4 and want to shoot lead bullets so i need a new barrel, but didnt know if any of them works with gen 4. i want lone wofe or stone.
pitmanr2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
barrel, fourth, gen4, generation, glock 17, glock od, olive drab
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:14.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,012
290 Members
722 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31