GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-05-2009, 20:58   #1
Jerry X

How does the Sig 226 compared to the Glock 17?

I know this is a Glock forum but I was wondering if anybody has experience the Sig 226. My brother swears that its better than my Glock 17. I, myself am very happy with my Glock 17.

Last edited by Jerry X; 12-05-2009 at 22:56..
Jerry X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 21:02   #2
blackbirdzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry X View Post
I know this is a Glock forum but I was wondering if anybody has experience the Sig 226. My brother swears that its better than my Glock 17. I, myself am very happy with my Glock 17.
I've had plenty of time behind both and they are both excellent firearms. I would be 100% confident in the overall function of both pistols. Here's the difference....the Sig is DA/SA and your first trigger pull will likely be the long double action as most 226 models are "decocker" only. The Glock has the same short trigger pull for each shot. I shoot smaller groups with the Sig, but I'm faster with the Glock when shooting drills from the holster.

As a side note, I carry a Glock 17 on duty and off. Love it.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 21:05   #3
nickoglock1

well i have a glock 19 and a sig 226, id say the sig is better quality the fit finish and look its much better than the glock, but for combat, or self defense, id choose a glock every time, the sigs require more lube and mags are expensive
nickoglock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 21:07   #4
capecodcowboy

Sig 226 like the Browning Hi-Power and Glock is very reliable and very well made. Not saying any is Better but they are all outstanding firearms in their own right. Everybody has their own idea what is perfect for them but having great choices like these is a no lose deal.... heck I have had all three and they are ALL my favorites!
Just my .02
capecodcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 21:07   #5
raven11

It depends if you like the DA/SA or safe action trigger also I belive the sig weighs more but if they are both range guns it's really a wash

That being said I prefer the Sig for some reason I group tighter with it
Old 12-05-2009, 21:11   #6
hatidua

Shoot both and see which works out better for you. I don't think there is a wrong choice between them.
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 21:14   #7
jesse2205

Can't vouch for a sig, but I have a glock 17 and its a dream to shoot. I couldn't be happier (unless I had 2 g17s!)
jesse2205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 21:14   #8
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks

From the holster, Glock wins hands down. After that, it's the Sig hands down.

I own both Glock and Sig.

As one poster already stated, the first shot from the Sig is a long DA. However, with the proper training and time at the range, you won't even notice it.

Personally, I give a slight edge to the Glock. The trigger pull is always the same, all day and all night. The Sig have 2 different pulls.

But, like I said, training will eliminate that.

The Glock 17 is the epitome of perfection in the Glock line. The P226 is the epitome of perfection in the Sig line.

They are the best of both worlds. Whether you're a DA/SA kinda person or a Glock person, they have there places in the shooting world.

Have you shot the P226?

If not, give it a run. See what YOU think. You never know, you may never look at another Glock the same way again.

SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 21:15   #9
itstime

Sig has the DAK trigger also. I have never shot one so I can't comment on it.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 21:29   #10
Brigrat

Send a message via Yahoo to Brigrat
The DAK is by far the worst trigger every passed off by a major manufacturer...I am a Sig armorer and sig fan and will never by another DAK again...
Old 12-05-2009, 22:19   #11
"Cold Dead Hands" !

Sigs are for amatuers !
Sigs heavy double-action first shot, is designed for idiots, or for those who have never shot a gun before.
Glocks are lighter, more compact & streamlined for carry.
Glocks perform better on the range, in IDPA competition, where it counts.
As this shows just how well a gun will perform in a self defense situation.

A Cop, who shoots at our range, and who carries a Sig 226 9mm on the job.
He recently got the Glock 34.
He alternates between shooting the Sig 226 or the G34.
But, he always scores better with the G34.
It's just a better all around gun, for combat/competition !

Last edited by "Cold Dead Hands" !; 12-05-2009 at 22:28..
"Cold Dead Hands" ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 22:20   #12
hdbob

They are both good... Like the Chevy/Ford truck debate.... I like sigs but glocks just as well, if not better..They dont seem as bulky, they are simple and reliable.. Like I have seen others put it, 75 percent of law enforcement cant be wrong...
hdbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 22:32   #13
JK-linux

I own and shoot both well. Either will serve it's owner well. I prefer the P226 as it was my duty weapon for 7 years and it fits my hands better. The "fit's better" comment is only because I have fired and presented it infinitely more times than any Glock. That said, I usually CCW and G29 or Ruger SP101.
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 22:43   #14
40S&W_SigSauerP229

All you people who think a Glock is better than a Sig Sauer are uninformed. The Sig is a better gun for Combat and Self Defense. Glocks are good for people that don't train and only care about it going boom when you pull the trigger. Sig Sauer exspecially the P226 sets the standard for Combat Handguns. I have never had to worry about my Sig failling me or breaking because half of it is plastic. I could go on but it has all been said before.
40S&W_SigSauerP229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 22:49   #15
"Cold Dead Hands" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40S&W_SigSauerP229 View Post
All you people who think a Glock is better than a Sig Sauer are uninformed. The Sig is a better gun for Combat and Self Defense. Glocks are good for people that don't train and only care about it going boom when you pull the trigger. Sig Sauer exspecially the P226 sets the standard for Combat Handguns. I have never had to worry about my Sig failling me or breaking because half of it is plastic. I could go on but it has all been said before.
I agree, Sigs are better for amatuers !
"Cold Dead Hands" ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 23:05   #16
IMightBeWrong
Straw Dog

They're neck and neck, but I prefer the SIG personally. More comfortable, nice single action trigger for follow up shots, less felt recoil in my experience, great balance, etc. The Glock has a lighter weight for carry and more capacity options, although both weapons can be had with flush fitting 17 round mags (aftermarket for the SIG, mec gar makes them). Since both are full sized guns, I doubt that you're concerned with carry weight much. I'd take the SIG, but that's just me.

"One of the greatest joys known to man is to take a flight into ignorance in search of knowledge..." - Robert Lynd
IMightBeWrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 23:15   #17
hdbob

Um ya right!!! Also anyone who owns a ford or dodge truck are ill informed as well....

people who think glocks fail/break because they are plastic are uniformed..

I really dont think either is better, just different..one guy likes the feel and can shoot the glock better.. the other guy the sig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40S&W_SigSauerP229 View Post
hdbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:18   #18
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cold Dead Hands" ! View Post
Sigs are for amatuers !
Sigs heavy double-action first shot, is designed for idiots, or for those who have never shot a gun before.
Glocks are lighter, more compact & streamlined for carry.
Glocks perform better on the range, in IDPA competition, where it counts.
As this shows just how well a gun will perform in a self defense situation.

A Cop, who shoots at our range, and who carries a Sig 226 9mm on the job.
He recently got the Glock 34.
He alternates between shooting the Sig 226 or the G34.
But, he always scores better with the G34.
It's just a better all around gun, for combat/competition !

I started shooting when I was 9. I also have many courses under my belt in regards to shooting not too mention military service in which I've actually used firearms in real life.

I prefer a Sig P220 over any Glock that I own for carry/SD.

I guess the range and IDPA competition is a measure of a good weapon and not actual use in a real shooting environment. Damn the Navy for issuing the P226 to it's shooters! Hell, the Federal Air Marshals are a bunch of idiots as well for choosing the P229 for their duty weapon.

I'd like to see you try and out shoot one of those guys.

To tell you the truth, Glocks and Sigs a pretty comparable to each other. They're really not that much off in regards to design specifications. Glocks do have an advantage in the weight department. But everything else is with tenths of an inch.

But, people are entitled to their opinions.

Maybe your friend should stick to his assigned duty weapon and get to the range a little more to become more proficient with it.
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:33   #19
40S&W_SigSauerP229

Sig Sauer V.S. Glock is the same as AK V.S. AR. It all about what you want and how much you want to train.
40S&W_SigSauerP229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:47   #20
DanGarand

traded my g19 for a 226 and made out like a bandit. Totally different animals, my 226 has an amazing trigger and I love the gun.
DanGarand is offline   Reply With Quote