SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2012, 13:55   #1
paramediclane

Send a message via Yahoo to paramediclane
registering

i have an issue that i need help with. my mother in law gave my wife a gun long time ago. it has been in our possession for over 4 years now. well my mother in law died this year and now my wifes sister is asking for the gun. we have told her that the gun was given to us. (she wanted it out of her house since grand kids came over) wife sister insists the gun is part of the estate and want it. how can i get the gun legally registered in my wifes name so there will be no question on ownership? wife has firearm license. thanks in advance
paramediclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 13:58   #2
2@low8

You appear to live in Georgia. Georgia has NO registration of firearms

I suppose you could go to a local gun shop in Albany and ask them to do a transfer from you (the possessor of the firearm), to the wife, (the acquirer of the firearm). That would create a record of transfer at least. Might cost you $20 but it might give you the sense of ownership you need in dealing with family.

Last edited by 2@low8; 01-20-2012 at 14:10..
2@low8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 14:09   #3
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Possession is 9/10's of the law. YOU Posses the gun, it's YOUR gun. I'd tell your sister-in-law that if she wants the gun you'll gladly sell it to her otherwise back off because it's your gun, not hers.
Old 01-20-2012, 14:21   #4
USDefender
Lay Them Waste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Possession is 9/10's of the law. YOU Posses the gun, it's YOUR gun. I'd tell your sister-in-law that if she wants the gun you'll gladly sell it to her otherwise back off because it's your gun, not hers.

+10 million...

I was about to post this exact statement-- almost verbatim.

Sister wants the gun? She can compensate you (and your wife for it). Otherwise, if you want to keep it, she's out of luck. Mom gave it to you well before she passed...and both you and your wife are co-witnesses to this fact.

Next she'll be wanting all the monetary donations back that 'mom' made to her favorite charities over the years.

Last edited by USDefender; 01-20-2012 at 14:22..
USDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 15:14   #5
paramediclane

yes i do live in georgia, albany to be exact. thanks for all the replies. just trying to do things a humaine and legal as possible. with everything that has happened its amazing at how the vultures come out wanting their piece of the pie when they had nothing to do with the care of their mother for the last 3 years. wonder if i could sell the gun to a gun shop and then buy it back. that way it would have paperwork done too.
Old 01-20-2012, 15:18   #6
crash09

Paperwork of a transfer at this point won't do any good and may actually reinforce the sister's position. Do you have any proof, witnesses, repair bills, receipts for ammo or holsters, etc. to show when you actually took possession of the gun?

Last edited by crash09; 01-20-2012 at 15:20..
crash09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 15:21   #7
Adjuster

Does this gun have some kind of unusual value? Just curious as common firearms really don't have any value worth getting all worked up about. Why does the sister in law want it so bad?

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 15:22   #8
GTFord1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramediclane View Post
yes i do live in georgia, albany to be exact. thanks for all the replies. just trying to do things a humaine and legal as possible. with everything that has happened its amazing at how the vultures come out wanting their piece of the pie when they had nothing to do with the care of their mother for the last 3 years. wonder if i could sell the gun to a gun shop and then buy it back. that way it would have paperwork done too.
There's absolutely no point to any of this. Get real. You legally have to do nothing with this.

Last edited by GTFord1; 01-20-2012 at 15:22..
GTFord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 15:29   #9
fiasconva

I think my first question to her would be "What gun?"
Old 01-20-2012, 15:30   #10
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
You were gifted the gun years ago. Your property. It stinks that it is causing a headache.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 15:55   #11
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
i have an issue that i need help with. my mother in law gave my wife a gun long time ago. it has been in our possession for over 4 years now. well my mother in law died this year and now my wifes sister is asking for the gun. we have told her that the gun was given to us. (she wanted it out of her house since grand kids came over) wife sister insists the gun is part of the estate and want it. how can i get the gun legally registered in my wifes name so there will be no question on ownership? wife has firearm license. thanks in advance
In Bold.... It is no longer part of the estate since it was a gift that long ago.
Old 01-20-2012, 16:51   #12
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasconva View Post
I think my first question to her would be "What gun?"
I think he's talking about the gun he lost when he was out on the lake fishing.
Old 01-20-2012, 17:01   #13
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Out of curiosity, what kind of gun is it?

Rimfire Club Member #702

Black Rifle Club Member #702
Gregg702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 17:10   #14
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Yes, what kind of gun?

Old 01-20-2012, 17:21   #15
USDefender
Lay Them Waste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFord1 View Post
There's absolutely no point to any of this. Get real. You legally have to do nothing with this.
+1

Quote:

Ever think that maybe it's your sister-in-law's responsibility, in this case, to 'do things as humanely... as possible'? Unfortunately, a death in the family almost always brings these kinds of idiots out... as if you don't have enough to grieve over, already. I'm sorry for you. I've been there, myself.

Re: the firearm-- if it really means something to either you or your wife (i.e. sentimental value), just say 'to hell' with anyone who asks for it. They really do not have any legal claim to it so long as your mother-in-law gave it to you when you say she did; literally, years before she died.

If it doesn't mean anything to you (if I were in your shoes), I'd do one of two things: either (#1) sell the thing and get something you do want. That way, when it's gone, that ends the 'argument' of anyone ever expecting you to just 'give' it to them, ever again. Heck, just to end the argument, I'd probably even just tell them I 'sold the thing, long ago,' just so they'll stop asking. Or, you could (#2) just give the gun to the sister, if bringing peace to the family is more valuable than the gun is. If you do consider going this way, though, and it causes either you or your wife to be resentful in the future, then once again I refer you to option #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
I think he's talking about the gun he lost when he was out on the lake fishing.
Yep. This is what I'm talk'in about... *LOL*

Last edited by USDefender; 01-20-2012 at 17:34..
USDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 18:12   #16
paramediclane

there are 3 guns total, a chrome plated colt python with 6 inch barrell. a chrome .38 special with real pearl grips. and a nickle plated sawed off side by side shot gun. all belonged to father in law (never met him. died in 1972) left in possession of mother in law. when we started living with her to take care of her due to health problems she wanted them gone so grand kids wouldnt find them.
Old 01-23-2012, 19:06   #17
Adjuster

Quote:
there are 3 guns total, a chrome plated colt python with 6 inch barrell. a chrome .38 special with real pearl grips. and a nickle plated sawed off side by side shot gun. all belonged to father in law (never met him. died in 1972) left in possession of mother in law. when we started living with her to take care of her due to health problems she wanted them gone so grand kids wouldnt find them.

Holy crap I need to see pics of all three but most importantly the shotgun!

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 19:41   #18
Z71bill

At the risk of stating the obvious - this is not about guns it is about money.

Is your wife's sister really the executor of the mother's estate?

Or

Just wanting to get the guns and sell them so she gets more $?

Did the mother have a will?

Last edited by Z71bill; 01-23-2012 at 19:43..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 20:48   #19
Syclone538

Quote:
I'm sure you know this, but a shotgun has to have an 18" barrel, and be 26" (or 28"?) total length.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 21:05   #20
jp3975

Why does your wife's sister think she is more entitled to something than your wife?

Like others have said...it was a gift 4 years ago. Do nothing.

I would be pissed and tell her that she is a selfish POS for asking for something that was given to you 4 years prior to her death.

And Im pretty reserved.
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote