Some hugs also
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 00:20   #1379
23skidoo
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeorge View Post
Okie Memorial Area
The look on the ladies face is precious. Is the cat a Maine Coon?

Awake yet Miss Lone_? Have a great day!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:33   #1380
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post

The title just said overly fat cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:50   #1381
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian View Post
Are you sure that's not harmonica cat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
I'm baking cookies on Friday!!!!!!
Hiya! How you been?

Quote:

Awake yet Miss Lone_? Have a great day!
That's one big cat! Yep, I'm awake. Had to teach a class right after I left the hospital until lunchtime and I just got back from seeing the doc and physical therapy. back my dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock26girl View Post
You are feeling survivor's guilt for something that shouldn't, IMO, have happened. I know that I am going to say some things that may be unpopular, but it is part of what happened to you.
The day the soldiers said for you two to run for the third truck, I think they should have been running with you, shielding you, while firing at the Afghani's. It makes better sense to me than to yell for two unarmed assets to take off running an expanse where they could be shot. If you are going to feel responsible for Greg's death, then I am going to place responsibility with whoever wasn't covering you. I don't blame them for not wanting to jump into harm's way, but sending a mechanic and a lady computer person to run without physical cover? You are just not responsible, period.
I know that you are spending a lot of time dwelling on these things right now, honey, and I want you to stop replaying it in your mind that you in some way caused Greg's death. You just didn't.
Hi there, I think I need to clear up a couple misconceptions here. First off, everyone was armed at the time. I had my rifle and it was ready to go when I left the MRAP. Also when I first left the vehicle there were no Afghaniís to shoot at. They were hidden behind some rock formations and waited until we were running to pop out and start shooting. Soldiers from each vehicle had gotten out and formed a perimeter around the area, but didnít see anyone so thatís when Greg and I were told to run to cover, then to the other MRAP. I was hit by one of the first rounds fired. It happened so fast I didnít have time to bring my rifle to bear. In a split second I saw AKís, the muzzle flash and then I was on the ground facing back the wrong way. Of course our guys returned fire and they were trading bullets the remainder of the time I was conscious.

No one knowingly sent me out there under fire. Iím not trying to brag or anything because this part makes me feel even worse about it, but the primary mission for that convoy was to move me and the equipment I had to another base. The mechanic, Greg, was hitching a ride to go fix a chopper. I was the last person they wanted to have go down because no one else there or on the remote base knew what to do with the equipment I had.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:30   #1382
dad2thebone
Hi caliber golf

LW,

The biggest problem I had today was I didn't get to kill a big buck. I feel like a spoiled brat after listening to what you guys are all going through, SO THAT I can go hunting, or do whatever I want; totally free.

Thank you so much for your sacrifice and service. Tell your fellow soldiers that there are people back home praying for you, and we are so grateful for your courage. Thanks for ensuring our freedom. Hope you can get home soon!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:25   #1383
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Okie Memorial Area : wavey:
That is so cute, thank you.

Quote:
Okie Memorial Area

: wavey:
Geeorge, that cat is beautiful but let's be glad we don't have to feed and clean behind that lion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Some hugs also: hugs:
back at ya, Sweetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2thebone View Post
LW,

The biggest problem I had today was I didn't get to kill a big buck. I feel like a spoiled brat after listening to what you guys are all going through, SO THAT I can go hunting, or do whatever I want; totally free.

Thank you so much for your sacrifice and service. Tell your fellow soldiers that there are people back home praying for you, and we are so grateful for your courage. Thanks for ensuring our freedom. Hope you can get home soon!
dad2thebone I would be bummed too if I spent the day in the woods and had no venison to show for it.

But I do understand what you're saying and I appreciate the kind words. I do and will continue to pass on the prayers of so many of you for everyone over here, be they military or civilian. And Thank You.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-23-2009, 15:29   #1384
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
Wolfe, that's it. You are this side of a tombstone. You have your life to live. You will find the strength and courage to get through this.

Sending you warm thoughts and positive energy.
SG
This post was sticking in my mind earlier and it seems so relevant right now. I realize that now and it's sunk in that without a hell of a lot of luck and determination of the part of other, and yes, determination on my part, it wouldn't be this way. These last few days I've been either feeling up and happy, or starting to get really down at times. These mood swings can be pretty extreme sometimes.

Tonight I was walking down a dark road all alone and I started thinking about what itís like to be a member of the Borrowed Time club. I know Iím still sorting it all out in my head. Sometimes itís good, other times not so. Itís a strange and powerful feeling sometimes. There are times I feel a weight of a tremendous responsibility on my shoulders. Other time, like tonight, I just stare in awe at a quarter-moon and realize how close I came to not being able to see that sight. I was walking along feeling what I would describe as close to elation at this second chance Iíve been given/fought for. And then the thought went through my mind, ďYeah, at the cost of a good manís lifeĒ. Try as I might I havenít been able to push that thought out of me head since then. In fact I finished my walk with tears rolling down my face. Iíve been trying to distract myself watching a movie and hanging out on GT a bit, but not having much luck.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-24-2009, 03:34   #1385
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post

Geeorge, that cat is beautiful but let's be glad we don't have to feed and clean behind that lion!

If that cat was mine it would have it's own doggie type door instead of a litter box

Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:22   #1386
engineer151515

Quote:
And then the thought went through my mind, “Yeah, at the cost of a good man’s life”.
This happening was not your choice.

It was not your time.

We all have people to which we owe so much. That changed our lives - sometimes at a terrible cost to our benefactor. Rarely is it as clearly evident as during the sacrifices of war. Be at peace. It cannot be changed. You are a gift to us all.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:49   #1387
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:
Okie Memorial Area
Is that real or photoshop? If it's real that cat is huge!

Quote:
................ Other time, like tonight, I just stare in awe at a quarter-moon and realize how close I came to not being able to see that sight. I was walking along feeling what I would describe as close to elation at this second chance Iíve been given/fought for. And then the thought went through my mind, ďYeah, at the cost of a good manís lifeĒ. Try as I might I havenít been able to push that thought out of me head since then. In fact I finished my walk with tears rolling down my face. Iíve been trying to distract myself watching a movie and hanging out on GT a bit, but not having much luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post

It was not your time.

We all have people to which we owe so much. That changed our lives - sometimes at a terrible cost to our benefactor. Rarely is it as clearly evident as during the sacrifices of war. Be at peace. It cannot be changed. You are a gift to us all.
engineer151515 I read Wolfe's post and was trying to find the words to say this but you did it better than I could. Thank you.

Wolfe I know you can't turn you feelings off on demand and you need to work through this survivor's guilt. This just proves that you are a good person as I have known all along. I would wonder about you if you didn't feel this way. But you have to remember that this was not your choice or your fault. That man made the choice to save you and he knew what could happen. I bet you would have done the same thing.

I for one am very grateful for what he did and I don't think I'm alone in that. I really like having you around. He gave you the second chance that you have finally discovered and he would want you to stare in awe at the moon and feel the euphoric feelings of someone who realized they beat the odds that you did. Face this and talk about it so you can heal. Don't make the mistake of brushing it aside but remember in the end it was not your fault and he would want you to be happy.
In real life I'm an *** hole with a gun. :supergrin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, Iím mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:58   #1388
sawgrass

Wolfe,

I worked in a large hospital for about 10 years. One day I was having
a chat with one of the nurses. The story is too long about how it came
up, but she said "Guilt is a useless emotion."

Considering my southern baptist upbringing, I was stunned by her remark.
So much of what I had been taught as a child was based upon guilt and fear. As an adult and finding my own values and way, the more I thought about it, "Guilt is a useless emotion". I've come to believe she is right.

Knowing and owning ones actions can bring growth. Considering what should have been done differently can bring change to make something
better the next time. Feeling miserable, feeling guilty, doesn't change anything. It brings you down, it makes it harder to heal, it surrounds you
with negativity. There isn't any doubt to anyone, that you would have
reacted differently that day if you would have had the opportunity.

(ok time out, Wolfe, right now right this second, I glanced out the window
and there is a large bald eagle sitting in a tree looking at my house, I
tend to trust these kinds of things as signs of encouragement, this one
is for you)

Wolfe, you know who you are, you know who you have been.
You are still the same woman...the one I've glimpsed here certainly
seems like someone who gives plenty back.

Sawgrass
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 13:39   #1389
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
If that cat was mine it would have it's own doggie type door instead of a litter box

Geeorge if that cat was mine it would have it's own ZOOKEEPER!

Quote:

It was not your time.

So many posts in here bring tears to my eyes. This one was no exception. No, I never would have chosen this. To me it made so much more sense for him to stay behind cover since I was already injured and he didnít have any way to know if I was even alive. So what could have been just one injured or killed turned into one dead, one injured and could have easily been two killed.

Iím just thinking of all the reasons he shouldnít have done what he did and I canít think of a good reason. Yes I owe him something I can never repay. I know I owe my life to a medic and some doctors and nurses too, but they didnít have to die so I could live. No one should have died for me out there. What makes me so special that anyone should do this? Iím not saying Iím a bad person, in fact I do my best to do the right thing, but Iím not worth someone elseís life.

You referred to me as gift to you all. Many times in recent months Iíve thought of you in here as Godís gift to me. I think I got the better end of that deal.

Sawgrass, I need to think about your post. I donít get how guilt could be useless if it was to stop you from doing wrong or make you want to make a wrong right. Maybe itíll make sense in the morning after I get some sleepÖ
Till then, good night everyone!

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-24-2009, 13:45   #1390
Tow/Repo
CLM Number 225
Charter Lifetime Member

Good night

ATOY
Tow/Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 20:35   #1391
23skidoo
Deceased

Gentle ones for when you wake up my dear.
Old 11-24-2009, 21:34   #1392
Glock26girl
G26, G19

Quote:

It was not your time.

I'm with Silent Runner, I was trying to find the right words to say to Wolfe and then you said this and nailed it. You are always such a sturdy, stable and comforting person here and are so appreciated here. I love the way you talk to Wolfe and set her mind at ease.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Glock26girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 22:10   #1393
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

God has different plans for you then what could have been that day. Try to enjoy the future.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:03   #1394
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Gentle ones for when you wake up my dear.
Oh thank you, sweetheart. Danged rain today is making those gentle ones so appealing right now.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-25-2009, 02:09   #1395
okie
GT Mayor

Hiya LW honey
Old 11-25-2009, 02:10   #1396
okie
GT Mayor

Some hugs also
Old 11-25-2009, 08:55   #1397
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
God has different plans for you then what could have been that day. Try to enjoy the future.
Wolfe please take these words to heart. You are here for a reason and that reason has to be something better than to hurt like you do now.

Quote:
Oh thank you, sweetheart. Danged rain today is making those gentle ones so appealing right now.
I missed you call but got your voicemail. I hope the rains rolls out of there soon. Have you been cuddling a hot water bottle much today?
In real life I'm an *** hole with a gun. :supergrin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, Iím mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:12   #1398
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Some hugs also
and back, sweetie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Runner View Post
Wolfe please take these words to heart. You are here for a reason and that reason has to be something better than to hurt like you do now.

I missed you call but got your voicemail. I hope the rains rolls out of there soon. Have you been cuddling a hot water bottle much today?

I'm doing my best. I sure hope there's another reason.

Yep, I've been up close and personal with a hot water bottle and towel as much as I could today. It does help. The rain quit but it's cold and damp now.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-25-2009, 16:37   #1399
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Hiya LW honey
Hey okie, how's the jobhunt going? back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock26girl View Post
I'm with Silent Runner, I was trying to find the right words to say to Wolfe and then you said this and nailed it. You are always such a sturdy, stable and comforting person here and are so appreciated here. I love the way you talk to Wolfe and set her mind at ease.
There are so many of you here that I really think are put here to say something I need to hear at that moment, be it kind and comforting or sometimes rather tough like some other posts in here. Sometimes it's not what I want, but maybe it's what I need instead. My mind has a long way to go to be at ease, but I keep hoping someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow/Repo View Post
Good night

ATOY
back, my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
Wolfe,

I worked in a large hospital for about 10 years. One day I was having
a chat with one of the nurses. The story is too long about how it came
up, but she said "Guilt is a useless emotion."

Considering my southern baptist upbringing, I was stunned by her remark.
So much of what I had been taught as a child was based upon guilt and fear. As an adult and finding my own values and way, the more I thought about it, "Guilt is a useless emotion". I've come to believe she is right.

Knowing and owning ones actions can bring growth. Considering what should have been done differently can bring change to make something
better the next time. Feeling miserable, feeling guilty, doesn't change anything. It brings you down, it makes it harder to heal, it surrounds you
with negativity. There isn't any doubt to anyone, that you would have
reacted differently that day if you would have had the opportunity.

(ok time out, Wolfe, right now right this second, I glanced out the window
and there is a large bald eagle sitting in a tree looking at my house, I
tend to trust these kinds of things as signs of encouragement, this one
is for you)

Wolfe, you know who you are, you know who you have been.
You are still the same woman...the one I've glimpsed here certainly
seems like someone who gives plenty back.

Sawgrass
Sawgrass, Iím having trouble getting my pre-sentient lizard brain around this one. Is it not a guilty conscious that would cause someone to right a wrong, or not to commit that wrong in the first place? I can see where continued guilt after youíve atoned for your sin would be bad for you, but it would seem like a person would also lack a conscience. I know I donít fall into that category, I feel really bad about doing someone wrong until I at least go apologize. Maybe what youíre trying to say is continued feeling guilty when thereís nothing I can do to change or atone? I know that nothing I can ever do would bring Greg back, or I would have already done it. There is no way to atone either..

Just trying to get my sleepless at 2AM brain around your messageÖ

It wouldnít be right to take if I didnít also give back. Like when I take so much from you here, I hope I give some back too, somehow.
The eagleÖ.. If thatís a sign for then Iíll sure take it. The symbol of our country. It makes me think of an old song I like about watching someone fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
janice6, I do think that's the case. I can only hope that when it's time for me to do what I was kept here to do that I can succeed in that mission.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-25-2009, 17:42   #1400
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

And there was that one shimmering star,...........

faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel soldier, breast cancer, chemotherapy, coming home, gtds, kicking cancer's ass, one giant leap!, rip jeff and gloria, whip those demons!