SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:46   #10001
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Sweetie,.......what state was this in, Georgia?

you did VERY well!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08   #10002
BobInTX

Gee, ya think there was a great disparity of force in this situation?

What I want to know is, when you popped that knife open did you yell "Oh, it's ON Cuz!" ?

"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me". Philippians 4:13.
BobInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15   #10003
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Damn, LW!

Glad you made it out alright, and things worked out with the DA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 16:43   #10004
flyover

LW, glad to hear that it worked out for you.
flyover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 17:39   #10005
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Wow, that's pretty nuts! Old guy should be slapped for being a giant ninny, DA and cops should be congratulated for not, and your situational awareness is admirable.

I too wonder what was in that box.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 18:15   #10006
Glock26girl
G26, G19

Wolfe, you are my hero!! You handled the situation very well.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."- George Orwell
Glock26girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 21:15   #10007
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb19 View Post
So...a nutjob was probably going to attack you and some moronic old guy told HIM to lookout? I hate people. I hate people so much.

ArtCrafter, you can call me a waitress, that's what I am. And as a waitress, I'm not sure I would do any better than those girls. However, I do know where every single knife is in our kitchen and can get to dozens very easily. I decided a long time ago, that if something goes wrong at work, someone is getting stabbed because it's the best I can do. I walk to work every day, and always stop at the post office so I can't carry. I mean, I could, some of the state troopers told me they wouldn't care if I carried in the post office, but with my luck I'd get caught by the one cop that hates everyone.

LW, you should take up knitting or quilting...I can't say it's particularly relaxing, but at least dropped stitches and ripping out threads and starting over is a way to get your mind off stuff.
This is a good post. cmb you have thought about the fact that crazy stuff happens and what you will do if necessary. I think that's great. I don't see myself walking anywhere very far unarmed, but I understand the PO thing. As far as I know it's a felony to carry in the PO.
If that's wrong someone correct me with a valid link.

LW you did what you could and you took control given the circumstances. I'm glad that it turned out as well as it did. You were aware of your surroundings and used the skills that you have paid dearly for.
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 21:32   #10008
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Glock View Post
Still no idea on the contents of the box? You did good Wolfe!!!
No idea, but it might have been everything he owned. He was wearing a backpack, and looked like he might be homeless.

And thanks.

Quote:
So...a nutjob was probably going to attack you and some moronic old guy told HIM to lookout? I hate people. I hate people so much.

ArtCrafter, you can call me a waitress, that's what I am. : supergrin: And as a waitress, I'm not sure I would do any better than those girls. However, I do know where every single knife is in our kitchen and can get to dozens very easily. I decided a long time ago, that if something goes wrong at work, someone is getting stabbed because it's the best I can do. I walk to work every day, and always stop at the post office so I can't carry. I mean, I could, some of the state troopers told me they wouldn't care if I carried in the post office, but with my luck I'd get caught by the one cop that hates everyone.

LW, you should take up knitting or quilting...I can't say it's particularly relaxing, but at least dropped stitches and ripping out threads and starting over is a way to get your mind off stuff. : supergrin:
Yep, that's who I think the warning was for. Old guy seemed terrified of a folding knife with a 3 1/2" blade being flipped open under a table by a cornered woman who's not much younger than him!

It sounds like you're as prepared as you can be, good. I don't have a gun for different reasons, so I also have to make do with a knife. But this incident makes me wonder if I'm more afraid of NOT having a gun. OTOH, could you just see that old man and his dinner companions if I'd pulled a gun under the table?

From your description of knitting, I'd want to kill something inside of an hour. And we already know I have a knife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtCrafter View Post
It sounds like you, the police, and the DA handled the situation very well, including the aftermath. : thumbsup:

The waitresses - I think the PC term is 'servers' - the witnesses, and of course the nutcase apparently tried their 'best'. : whistling:

I'm just glad you're OK − and that you didn't have to cut your way out to get back here.

: wavey:
Thanks. I don't fault the police or the DA, they had to investigate when 3 people made statements against me. I think it was the 3 sitting together, no one else acted like I was a criminal afterward.

I'm just lucky the nutcase paused when he did, and that ambulance came by with it's siren on. That's what gave me the chance to get out of there. And thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Sweetie,.......what state was this in, Georgia? : dunno:

you did VERY well!
The state of fear? That's where I was, that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInTX View Post
: faint:

Gee, ya think there was a great disparity of force in this situation?

What I want to know is, when you popped that knife open did you yell "Oh, it's ON Cuz!" ?

: rofl:
Let's see, drugged young guy against sick, injured middle aged woman...... yeah, maybe. I don't think anything short of a Smith & Wesson could have evened that up. An no, I'm not referring to a cheap S&W knife!

I should have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Damn, LW! : wow:

Glad you made it out alright, and things worked out with the DA!
Thank you.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 21:33   #10009
ArtCrafter
¤Hocker Mocker¤

<--- Bites tongue...HARD

Quote:

ArtCrafter, you can call me a waitress...

ArtCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 22:29   #10010
sawgrass

IIRC someone liked S&W.
Model 10 snubby would look good in that fancy bag of yours.
Old 01-24-2013, 00:09   #10011
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyover View Post
LW, glad to hear that it worked out for you.
Thank you. All I can say is I was kind of worried things might get crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Wow, that's pretty nuts! Old guy should be slapped for being a giant ninny, DA and cops should be congratulated for not, and your situational awareness is admirable.

I too wonder what was in that box.
I thought all 3 of them at that table needed a , and one of the cops I talked to said pretty much the same thing. Especially after he needed to see the 'big switchblade', and I showed him a medium sized flipper.

And thank you, PTSD does have it's uses.

As for wondering what was in that box, you probably don't want to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock26girl View Post
Wolfe, you are my hero!! You handled the situation very well.
Here, no. Person who needed a change of shorts, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
This is a good post. cmb you have thought about the fact that crazy stuff happens and what you will do if necessary. I think that's great. I don't see myself walking anywhere very far unarmed, but I understand the PO thing. As far as I know it's a felony to carry in the PO.
If that's wrong someone correct me with a valid link.

LW you did what you could and you took control given the circumstances. I'm glad that it turned out as well as it did. You were aware of your surroundings and used the skills that you have paid dearly for.
I'm pretty sure you're right about post office carry, I remember it being posted even in Arizona.

Thank you, I'm glad it did, too. I had a couple people ask me offline why I waited so long before I bolted, the reason is simple. My friend with the bad knees needed time to get out the back, so I waited until I knew she'd had that time.

I was surprised how even the people sitting next to the window near where that guy was messing with his box didn't even seem to notice. Blame PTSD, or whatever you want, I could never be that oblivious. Of course, the downside is I can never really relax. I don't even play music in my house, because they I can't hear sounds from outside. I get really tense when I try to, and have to turn it back off.

Quote:
IIRC someone liked S&W.
Model 10 snubby would look good in that fancy bag of yours.
Haha, I'll bet. The friend of mine that has the 686 I found in my safe a few months ago called me today about it. She left a voice mail asking if I'd decided what I was going to do with it yet. I wonder how much longer I can put that problem off. I won't lie though, I wouldn't have minded having it when this incident was happening.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 00:20   #10012
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

J Frame LW, get one!!!!!
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:08   #10013
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
OK, here's what happened. I still get the wilies just remembering.....

A few days before my surgery I was out with the friend that's been taking care of me, we were running a few errands. It was after dark when we finished, we decided to stop and get something to eat. My friend is disabled herself, both of her knees are in really bad shape. That was a factor in how I handled the situation. We sat down as far from the door as possible, with me facing the door.

While we were eating I saw a REALLY spaced out looking guy messing with a box in the bushes right alongside the restaurant. I couldn't tell if he was putting the box in the bushes, or taking it out. It was about a foot on each side. I got real uptight real quick, and was watching like a hawk. I also told my friend to go through the kitchen, out the back of the restaurant, and call 911 and describe what was happening.

She started making her way very slowly, and I alerted 2 waitresses, and told them what I'd told her to do.. Everyone else in there seemed oblivious to what was happening. The guy went over to another bush on the other side of the restaurant, and apparently dropped the box in there, then he came in the door. Then folks started getting nervous, the guy was that wierded out. Crazy eyes and all. Think methhead X 10. That bad. He was doing some kind of crazy dance, and making screeching noises. A couple of the waitresses were trying to figure out what to do,

By then my friend was out of sight, and probably at or near the back door, so I started looking for my way out. The guy was moving in my general direction, so I pulled my knife out of my pocket. He saw me looking at him, and yelled “YOU!”, and started straight toward me. I flipped my knife open while holding it under the table. I wasn't visible to him, but it was visible to a few other customers.

One older man yelled “Lookout!”, and by then everyone was watching. When the guy was less than 10 feet from me he stopped. I was scared ****less, he could have pounded me to a pulp easily enough. The older man yelled something again, and just then we all heard a siren. That turned out to be an ambulance, but it distracted the crazy guy enough that I got up and ran toward the restaurant kitchen and out the back. Unfortunately, some of the customers could see the knife in my hand. I got out the back, and was hiding behind an adjacent restaurant with my friend when the cops showed up.

The crazy guy ran for it, but the police caught him. I went back in the restaurant to pay for our meals, and the police wanted my version of what happened, along with statements from other people in there. The older man and his wife, along with at least one other guy had seen me flip my knife open, and told the police I was 'brandishing' a 'big switchblade'. I had to show the police the knife, and how it works, but they didn't confiscate it, because it's legal to carry. They did take all my information, telling me that they had statements against me, and I might be prosecuted on the brandishing charge. As you all know, that's a serious charge.

It took a little time for the DA to sort it out, but in the end, opening it under a table when I'm in real, and valid, fear isn't brandishing. It's just plain self-defense. Luckily the law saw it that way, and the only one who got charged with anything was the crazy guy. I was told he got a misdemeanor vagrancy type charge, because being a nut-case isn't against the law. I told the DA that scaring the s*** out of me should be!
Don't you know we are not suppose to defend ourselves? Just call the police.. Some people.
Quote:
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:08   #10014
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Oh and I'm proud of you.
Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32   #10015
ArtCrafter
¤Hocker Mocker¤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2131 View Post

Don't you know we are not suppose to defend ourselves? Just call the police.. Some people.

I hear that.

Problem is, I don't think any of LW's knives came with speed-dial.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:38   #10016
Slug71

Damn LW. You sure have had shit run of luck!
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:19   #10017
cmb19

I have to be the one to think about stuff like that at work...I have one cook with me each day, when we start getting busier again, I'll have 2. Both are guys. Both are completely and totally useless...literally the DUMBEST people I have ever met in my life. I don't even know how to explain them, I swear the 44 year old is missing pieces of his brain, like if he were to come in and tell me half his brain never formed, I wouldn't be a tiny bit surprised.
During the summer, I'll have high school kids working with me too. It's pathetic that I have to be the one in charge of everyone and be the big protector. If a customer gets mean with one of the tastee freeze kids, they get all scared and have me come talk to the person.

Apparently, my aunt (one of the owners) is going to bring a pistol or something up and leave it there. I think this is an incredibly stupid idea because these people have no clue how to use weapons of any kind. I'm including my aunts in that comment, my dad and his brothers have always used guns. My grandparents were divorced years ago, the 5 girls with grandma, the 3 boys with grandpa. Of the 5 girls, 2 of them have shot guns...this aunt being one of them, but she doesn't understand how they work.

Oh and I have completed exactly one knitted washcloth and a couple, small quilted things. Why? Because something gets screwed up, I start swearing and breaking things. But at least I'm not thinking about what's bother me.
cmb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24   #10018
ArtCrafter
¤Hocker Mocker¤

Quote:

...Oh and I have completed exactly one knitted washcloth and a couple, small quilted things. Why? Because something gets screwed up, I start swearing and breaking things. But at least I'm not thinking about what's bother me.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:00   #10019
cmb19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtCrafter View Post

I have anger issues, I'll admit it.
Old 01-24-2013, 16:15   #10020
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 15:39   #10021
sawgrass

Quote:
Thank you. All I can say is I was kind of worried things might get crazy.

I thought all 3 of them at that table needed a , and one of the cops I talked to said pretty much the same thing. Especially after he needed to see the 'big switchblade', and I showed him a medium sized flipper.

And thank you, PTSD does have it's uses.

As for wondering what was in that box, you probably don't want to know.

Here, no. Person who needed a change of shorts, yes.

I'm pretty sure you're right about post office carry, I remember it being posted even in Arizona.

Thank you, I'm glad it did, too. I had a couple people ask me offline why I waited so long before I bolted, the reason is simple. My friend with the bad knees needed time to get out the back, so I waited until I knew she'd had that time.

I was surprised how even the people sitting next to the window near where that guy was messing with his box didn't even seem to notice. Blame PTSD, or whatever you want, I could never be that oblivious. Of course, the downside is I can never really relax. I don't even play music in my house, because they I can't hear sounds from outside. I get really tense when I try to, and have to turn it back off.

Haha, I'll bet. The friend of mine that has the 686 I found in my safe a few months ago called me today about it. She left a voice mail asking if I'd decided what I was going to do with it yet. I wonder how much longer I can put that problem off. I won't lie though, I wouldn't have minded having it when this incident was happening.
Barrel length? Are you willing to ship to an FFL who accepts from a non FFL? But of course I think you should keep it for when you're in a different place. LW you used to love your wheel guns and you had some beauties!
Old 01-25-2013, 15:44   #10022
sawgrass

Quote:
I have anger issues, I'll admit it.
cmb just make sure that your Aunt realizes that with responsibility comes $. I bet the folks who come in just love you. They probably come to see you.

I've been putting out corn for the turkeys but they haven't been here for two days. Today a mouse was snacking on some corn and a Coopers Hawk got it. You would have liked that.

Last edited by sawgrass; 01-25-2013 at 15:44..
Old 01-25-2013, 15:54   #10023
cmb19

Quote:
cmb just make sure that your Aunt realizes that with responsibility comes $. I bet the folks who come in just love you. They probably come to see you.

I've been putting out corn for the turkeys but they haven't been here for two days. Today a mouse was snacking on some corn and a Coopers Hawk got it. You would have liked that.
There's really no point in talking with my aunt about it. She's one of those who are NEVER wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if she's too afraid to carry/leave it at the restaurant and use the idiot cook as an excuse.
I actually do have a lot of customers that come in just to see me. Apparently, I'm quite entertaining.

I wish I had animals to look at...especially a hawk. I haven't had anything around to look at for awhile. I keep missing the deer, see the tracks, no deer. I put a bird feeder up a month ago and still nothing. No one wants to go hunting with me either.
Old 01-25-2013, 19:06   #10024
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

WOW!
Crappy situation.
Brandishing a switch blade,REALLY
Glad it worked out in the end.

By the way,,,,,,,
Old 01-25-2013, 19:22   #10025
ancient_serpent

You were acting to defend yourself and the old guy yells to warn the psycho??
WTH??
I really hate people, sometimes.
I'm glad you're ok!
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel soldier, breast cancer, chemotherapy, coming home, gtds, kicking cancer's ass, one giant leap!, rip jeff and gloria, whip those demons!